Thread: The funeral was perfect!

Default The funeral was perfect!

My mom had died recently, blablabla, I went to her funeral today and it was so personal to the song going in, to the cards with her picture and a poem asking whether you choose to be sad that she is gone or glad she has lived.

Her dad, brother, husband and son were pole bearing or carrying her coffin. The minister was very dedicated to our funeral and his speech was very professional yet personal. I heard a lot more of my mom than I originally thought, I was in tears with the last song when we were leaving the crematorium "chasing the sun" by the wanted whom mom loved their song, the first line to the song was "I'm better, so much better now" she is better now because when she was living she had numerous health conditions and was extremely ill before she passed.

We went back to a pub for a buffet and there was picture of her, not as I remember but ones when she was younger and a lot happier and healthy looking before her health detiriated. She was diagnosed with diabetes 1 after spending so long in a coma aged 2, diabetes was not very common back then and she actually made front page in the local newspaper! She was very outgoing and brave, she carried on despite her illnesses and proved to us that nothing is impossible and I admire her greatly and she has taught me to do things when you can and don't let anybody tell you can't do it!

I went back home and took a nap, suprisingly I fell asleep and had a dream that i was in college and getting to know new people on the course and when they were discussing the rules of the course, they said "and finally, respect your mom!" I had no idea how that crept into my dream but I was in tears when I woke up, today just went beautifully and I honestly can not say it could of been any better!

The poem was "you can shed tears, that she is gone or
    You can smile because she has lived.
    You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back or
    You can open your eyes and see all that she has left.
    Your heart can be empty because you can't see her or
    You can be full of the love that you shared.
    You can turn your back on tommorow and live yesterday or
    You can be happy for tommorow because of yesterday.
    You can remember her and only that she is gone or
    You can cherish her memory and let it live on.
    You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back or
    You can do what she'd want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

I am glad to hear that it went well for you.

Trust me the good memories will be stronger then the bad ones over time.

It sounds like the service was beautiful. As a church organist, I've played many funerals. Sadly, I've attended many for my various family members. They tend to put me into an other worldly place. They remind us that our time on earth is limited, but they also give us hope for something better which follows death.

Remember the good in you mom. It's the one important thing we leave behind.

I'm glad it went well. I know how difficult it was for you. I think the thing about funerals is that it forces us into saying goodbye to someone we love when we are not ready. At the same time it can be a beginning to the healing process. The fond memories of a lifetime, the love and warmth of your mother, will not be overshadowed by the past week.

That poem made me cry. I'm glad to hear it wasn't too bad for you. I hope the best for you, you are a very nice person.