Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have the wrong expectations when it comes to wearing and not leaking?

Default Do I have the wrong expectations when it comes to wearing and not leaking?

For the longest time I've felt that if things are set up right leaks should NEVER happen. I'm not sure where I got that idea to be honest, but it became a part of my idea diaper experience to the point were even the slightest leak, even onto an absorbent pad in private, was very disconcerting and knocked me out of whatever pleasantness I was getting from wearing at the time.

I also felt like I had to re-set my comfort level each time I leaked, which is very disconcerting.

Thus I'm wondering do leaks still happen to the best of us very occasionally and thus I don't need to be so hard on myself if its once in a large number of times?

Also, does it take more then 1 and 1/2 years of practice to get the fit right?

I experience 2 kinds of leaks, either the diaper is already too saturated and any more pee will cause a leak, or, it has folded inward in the crotch. so it pays to check the fit in the crotch area occasionally to make sure it isn't folding inwards. And it pays to change often even though it may feel like a waste of a diaper. I have never had a leak on the first wetting.

Leaks do still happen.

I'm 24/7 and IC, have been for a while, and I have a fit-related leak probably once out of every 100 diapers (not necessarily on the first wetting, but I get subpar performance because I fit the damn thing wrong).

Relax. It's OK.

Leaks are inevitable. However, with care, experience, and the right product for the job, they should be infrequent and small. It takes time to get a good feel for a given diaper under general conditions. You can minimize the risk by playing conservatively, but if you're too conservative, you'll never know what the product is really capable of.

I very rarely have leaks when I'm cautious about it but I accept that they're going to occur, particularly when I'm wearing often.

I think testing for leaks in a safe environment is the way to go. I'm a big fan of SCIENCE, so anytime I get a new brand of diapers, I tend to wear them to saturation and see what it feels like. I also tend to wear an already wet diaper to bed if I'm not sure whether it will last the night or not, and sure that's led to some damp sheets but it's also helped give me a sense for when a diaper is going to last the night.

If you're in a rush or you don't have time for cleanup, you can virtually eliminate leaks by making sure your diaper is taped snugly, making sure you're pointed down and towards the center of the diaper when peeing, that you're standing or sitting up straight when peeing, and then changing after the first time you wet. But that will definitely lead to some wasted diapers, and occasionally even the weird situation where you're diapered yet you can't pee for fear of a leak and are desperately trying to hold it, which is just the worst. Better to get to know the padding you're wearing so that you can trust it when you need it.

I think leaks are part of wearing diapers. Obviously better when they don't leak but don't let spills ruin your day!

I even managed to have an ABU Simple leak at the leg cuffs which was kinda embarrassing but still consider them fabulous.

I like to use my diapers to capacity so they sometimes leak but it is not a problem because I wear a pair of terry pants over my diaper and plastic pants on top.

The terry pants gets damp but the plastic pant keeps all the wetness from spreading to my outer clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedwetter View Post
    I like to use my diapers to capacity so they sometimes leak but it is not a problem because I wear a pair of terry pants over my diaper and plastic pants on top.

The terry pants gets damp but the plastic pant keeps all the wetness from spreading to my outer clothes.
    I have just ordered some terry pants for just that reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hex000f View Post
    For the longest time I've felt that if things are set up right leaks should NEVER happen. I'm not sure where I got that idea to be honest, but it became a part of my idea diaper experience to the point were even the slightest leak, even onto an absorbent pad in private, was very disconcerting and knocked me out of whatever pleasantness I was getting from wearing at the time.

I also felt like I had to re-set my comfort level each time I leaked, which is very disconcerting.

Thus I'm wondering do leaks still happen to the best of us very occasionally and thus I don't need to be so hard on myself if its once in a large number of times?

I have been wearing nappies now for over four years and have may fair share of leaks. I just accept it as part of being incontinent. Some nappies are better than others but leaks will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hex000f View Post

Use a Bambinodiapers.com diaper YOU WILL NEVER LEAK. abuniverse.com tends to leak no matter how I fasten. Bambinos never leak no matter how I fasten.

Bambinodiapers.com diapers DO NOT LEAK.