Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Beyond

Default Star Trek Beyond

I can't waaaiiittt for the new movie!!!!! Just eleven days to go (July 22nd).

Here's the latest trailer:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DF&FORM=VRDGAR

From the trailer, it looks like the Enterprise gets totally destroyed, forcing the crew to abandon ship and land on a planet, and Kirk has to come back for them.

I also read that Sulu's character will be revealed to be in a gay relationship. They're not making a big deal of it, and apparently they wanted the crew to be representative of our society. It was also meant to honour George Takai, the original actor to portray Sulu, who was actually gay but remained in the closet until around 2005. Surprisingly Takei's not pleased with the decision, stating that it distorts Roddenberry's vision of the character, and that it would have been preferable if they brought in a new character who was gay instead.

Personally, I think the whole issue will turn out to be a big yawn and most people won't care. I would have preferred to see Kirk and Spock come out of the closet and admit their love for each other instead.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...icism-20160708

This is going to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    From the trailer, it looks like the Enterprise gets totally destroyed, forcing the crew to abandon ship and land on a planet, and Kirk has to come back for them.
    What...again?

I also read that Sulu's character will be revealed to be in a gay relationship. They're not making a big deal of it, and apparently they wanted the crew to be representative of our society. It was also meant to honour George Takai, the original actor to portray Sulu, who was actually gay but remained in the closet until around 2005. Surprisingly Takei's not pleased with the decision, stating that it distorts Roddenberry's vision of the character, and that it would have been preferable if they brought in a new character who was gay instead.

Personally, I think the whole issue will turn out to be a big yawn and most people won't care.
    You're right. Yawn.

I would have preferred to see Kirk and Spock come out of the closet and admit their love for each other instead.
    Thanks for that REALLY disturbing mental image. Of course, wouldn't that be bestiality rather than homosexuality? Not sure if they're classified as same species or not.... given that interbreeding is possible.... are the offspring of Vulcan and Homo Sapiens sterile, like mules?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Thanks for that REALLY disturbing mental image. Of course, wouldn't that be bestiality rather than homosexuality? Not sure if they're classified as same species or not.... given that interbreeding is possible.... are the offspring of Vulcan and Homo Sapiens sterile, like mules?
    Hmm, now that you mention it, Spock's a Vulcan, and as we all know, Vulcans only mate once every seven years. So it's quite likely that Kirk would be cheating on him, say by about Thursday! Yeah, it'd never work.

"Spock, you fool. Kiss me!" Spock then puts the Vulcan kiss on his captain, rendering Captain Kirk useless for the next incredible journey. Oh, and Captain Kirk wets his pants.

Hmm, now that you mention it, Spock's a Vulcan, and as we all know, Vulcans only mate once every seven years. So it's quite likely that Kirk would be cheating on him, say by about Thursday! Yeah, it'd never work.
    Actually, Vulcans only experience pon farr once every seven years. They seem to have pretty normal libidos otherwise.

I think it's right for Beyond not to go down the K/S road. Pine!Kirk and Quinto!Spock simply don't have the sexual tension that Shatner!Kirk and Nimoy!Spock ended up with by complete accident.

Keen to see how the movie turns out, although I have a problem with Starbase Yorktown - it looks like the kind of megastructure that even Picard's Federation would find very difficult to build in the prime timeline. It would raise questions about how Alternate!2263 is more advanced than Prime!2379.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    "Spock, you fool. Kiss me!" Spock then puts the Vulcan kiss on his captain, rendering Captain Kirk useless for the next incredible journey. Oh, and Captain Kirk wets his pants.
    Yes,!!! And then we could finally see Chris Pine in a diaper. What a fantasy! I love science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliborio View Post
    Actually, Vulcans only experience pon farr once every seven years. They seem to have pretty normal libidos otherwise.

I think it's right for Beyond not to go down the K/S road. Pine!Kirk and Quinto!Spock simply don't have the sexual tension that Shatner!Kirk and Nimoy!Spock ended up with by complete accident.

Keen to see how the movie turns out, although I have a problem with Starbase Yorktown - it looks like the kind of megastructure that even Picard's Federation would find very difficult to build in the prime timeline. It would raise questions about how Alternate!2263 is more advanced than Prime!2379.
    Simon Pegg says that it's an outpost on the edge of Federation jurisdiction and located as far on the edge as they have traveled. When the Enterprise docks, it's supposed to be the first time they've had human contact in ten months. It sounds similar to Deep Space Nine where different alien species can dock and get some down time.

http://movieweb.com/star-trek-beyond...base-yorktown/
    Last edited by Starrunner; 12-Jul-2016 at 18:17.

I would have preferred to see Kirk and Spock come out of the closet and admit their love for each other instead.
    I want my Kirk / Spock / McCoy love triangle darn it. The best thing about the original series was watching those two fight for Kirk's heart. Hehe. What's even the point of rebooting this if we don't embrace that. And this comes from someone who is like, openly against the idea that meaningful friendship has to equal romantic attraction. Love triangle. Darn it. Gimmie.

That being said I'll be excited, probably will see in the local drive in if they play it.. which they should? This feels like a drive in sorta movie, where I won't need to worry about catching itty bitty details visually.

Me and my partner sorta just breezed through literally all the Star Trek's ever, so I'm pretty freshly initiated.. but imitated very much! Just barely caught up with the reboot franchise. I'm full of hype.

So has anyone seen this movie yet? What did you think of it? I thought it was good but I have some reservations about it. Overall, I'd give it three out of five stars.

WARNING: Some spoilers ahead

Visually, it looked amazing. I highly recommend seeing it in IMAX 3D if possible, particularly for the scenes where the Enterprise gets ambushed and destroyed, and when the ship is arriving at the Yorktown station. Most of the cast gets something to do in this movie, although I thought Sulu and Chekov were still underutilized which seems to be the norm. It felt weird seeing Anton Yelchin on the screen as Chekov since he was killed in a car accident last month.

Chris Pine is a bit more mature as the captain this movie and seems to have grown more comfortable in the role.. Kirk is struggling with the value of the five year mission and is contemplating a position of Vice Admiral. Spock is also questioning his place in Starfleet after the death of Ambassador Spock. I wish they would have delved deeper into these conflicts. They seem to put into the movie to give some depth to the characters but they don't really add to the plot or the development of the characters in any great way.

I thought it was a great idea to split up the crew so that there were some pairings of crew members not normally seen, such as Sulu and Uhura working together on an escape plan together, and Chekov MacGyvering for Kirk. The best scenes were between Spock and McCoy and the banter between them. The actors are so good in these roles, they could do a spinoff movie or comedy series together.

I thought the villain, Krall was okay, but you spend a lot of the movie trying to figure out his motive. It's a slow reveal, and ultimately a bit hard to swallow and unconvincing.

As for all the controversy about Sulu's character being gay, it's a 'blink and you'll miss it' moment, revealing he has a same- sex partner and a daughter stationed on Yorktown. I think the only reason it's in there at all is so that there is some emotion invested when the station comes under attack later in the movie. I think the nonchalant perspective is done well, and even though it was overblown in controversy, it's likely anyone watching the movie in ten or twenty years from now will not even notice or care about it. That's as it should be.

I thought the worst plot point was when Scotty runs into an alien who just happens to be living in an old Federation starship that just happened to crash on the planet, and then getting it up and flying in a matter of hours. How convenient, finding another starship just when you happen to need one. Jayla is the first new character in a long time who appears worthy of continuing in the series, which appears to be the setup. Then again, Carol Marcus joined the crew at the end of the last movie, only never to be seen again.

So overall, I enjoyed it, but I think it's a bit of a mixed bag. I probably preferred it to Star Trek Into Darkness since that movie was basically rehashing the Wrath of Kahn, which IMHO was the best Star Trek movie ever made.

You could really see the difference in the tone from the previous movies since JJ Abrams bailed to go do that other 'Star' franchise (the name eludes me at the moment). Justin Lin brings his style from the 'Fast and Furious' franchise to Star Trek Beyond so the emphasis is on action, explosions, fight scenes, explosions, chase scenes, explosions, chase scenes, and a frenetic pace. It was okay, but to me it didn't really feel like Star Trek. I still prefer the more thoughtful, scientific approach that Star Trek has had in the past and if that's your preference you may feel a bit disappointed as well. On the other hand, action movies tend to make tons of money at the box office, so maybe this will help secure the future of the franchise. I still have high hopes that the next one will go Above and Beyond.

Curious to hear what other people think.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 23-Jul-2016 at 16:39.

I watched it and I would say it was awesome. I'm not a trek fan, but this was still good movie.

I saw this movie last Friday.
    I liked it.