Video Game Recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I occasionally do gaming YouTube videos, not going to link my channel as I keep my AB/DL and real life separate.

Here goes, I'm using bandicam, but I'm having a problem with large file sizes, and keeping the audio lower than my voice.

I'm new to this, so I'm wondering is there a way to compress a HD video smaller so it doesn't takes take years to upload to YouTube.

I get insane sizes such as 500MB-1GB for a 5 minute video, which I would rather not have, as my upload speed is very very awful.

What settings do you recommend?

I did try using my GPU encoder, but that was all choppy and looked utter garbage, and using xvid does generate smaller file sizes, but the lower the compresison, the uglier it gets.

I'm thinking of plopping it in sony vegas and using a different video format, such as AVI or something, but i don't know how that would go.

OBS is pretty nice. Uses x264 at a quality/bitrate of your choice. I think it also allows for separate audio channels for better editing options.
You probably want to reencode before uploading if your connection is bad anyway though.

kapi said:
OBS is pretty nice. Uses x264 at a quality/bitrate of your choice. I think it also allows for separate audio channels for better editing options.
You probably want to reencode before uploading if your connection is bad anyway though.

I'll try that out, thanks :)

If you have large files already, you might want to try running them through a transcoding program called Handbrake. You can have a play around with the compression and quality settings and see what gets a suitable size vs quality ratio for what you need. Very useful program.

Having done youtube for many years myself and technically still do. I actually use several programs. I record with Fraps, and Dxtory mainly. Raw file sizes are always going to be fairly large, at least if you want to have good quality. Never would I upload the raw files. I always throw them into Sony Vegas and edit them. It reduces the files size drastically as well. Tend to render them as MP4 files. To give you an idea, a 3:30 minute 720p 30fps video is about 100MB. You could probably even make it smaller if you are willing to skimp on quality, although probably not the best idea.

Anyway, if you need any help, just let me know. At this point, I pretty much know everything there is to know about being a youtuber lol.

Edit: Oh, by the way, Dxtory allows for multi-channel audio, so you can have the mic and game audio recorded separate. Fraps doesn't allow this, but for programs that do not have multi-channel audio support, you can use the program Audacity. So basically record on computer audio with the recorder, and use audacity to record your mic. You do need to align the audio though once editing it.

The good thing about recording in audacity is there are really nice tools to use to make your audio sound loads better. It's just a bit of a learning curve to use it properly.

Ideally you wouldn't use youtube for archival purposes by the way. It reencodes the videos on upload (which is why one might as well just dump whatever fits through your connection onto their servers) and won't guarantee keeping the best verions around. Old videos on youtube sometimes suffer this fate as only a degreaded version is kept over the years.

So if I were to produce youtube content I'd create decent reencodes of my near lossless recordings and keep them myself. If you're comfortable storing them it should be at a size which you can upload to youtube within a reasonable time as well.

Kind of depends on how serious you take the quality of your work and its availability in, say, 10 years from now.

kapi said:
Ideally you wouldn't use youtube for archival purposes by the way. It reencodes the videos on upload (which is why one might as well just dump whatever fits through your connection onto their servers) and won't guarantee keeping the best verions around. Old videos on youtube sometimes suffer this fate as only a degreaded version is kept over the years.

So if I were to produce youtube content I'd create decent reencodes of my near lossless recordings and keep them myself. If you're comfortable storing them it should be at a size which you can upload to youtube within a reasonable time as well.

Kind of depends on how serious you take the quality of your work and its availability in, say, 10 years from now.

Typically, I wouldn't bother keeping every single video. After maybe a month or two, I delete them. If you are a serious youtuber really looking to make a lot of video, the amount of space they would take up begins to become pretty absurd. You also then need to realize it's unlikely you will ever need those video again anyway.

Granted if you have the space and money to store all the videos, then at that point, you might as well really.

Yeah, it's just something to consider. Don't expect uploaded stuff to remain available. You will have to pay for reliable solutions, either through hard disks and some work of your own or for online storage space which actually cares about the data of its customers.

kapi said:
Yeah, it's just something to consider. Don't expect uploaded stuff to remain available. You will have to pay for reliable solutions, either through hard disks and some work of your own or for online storage space which actually cares about the data of its customers.

If it's on youtube and you are not breaking any copyright, then it wouldn't just disappear. Even if the channel is dead, the videos would still exist. Any videos that disappeared ... did so because the owner wanted them too, or because there was copyright issues. Heck, even most videos that get claimed, don't get taken down, you just can't make revenue off them.

In fact, as far as I am aware there has never been a case where a video just disappeared for no reason on youtube. Doesn't matter how old it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back