Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applied for a new job today... and I'm terrified

Default Applied for a new job today... and I'm terrified

So today I submitted an application for a new job, I hope it gets through despite the fact I will be taking a massive pay cut to take the job, I need to get out of the job I am in.... but I am absolutely terrified, I almost want to take the application back.

I like my rut, I don't like disturbing my rut but I desperately need to out of this job before it destroys my mental health forever,

Good luck, Alex. I hope you get it. You'll acclimate in time, and anything is better than a job that's so stressful it destroys your mental health. At the very least taking it will give you some time to look for a higher paying job in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleManAlex View Post
    So today I submitted an application for a new job, I hope it gets through despite the fact I will be taking a massive pay cut to take the job, I need to get out of the job I am in.... but I am absolutely terrified, I almost want to take the application back.

I like my rut, I don't like disturbing my rut but I desperately need to out of this job before it destroys my mental health forever,
    Awww, crap. I know that feeling. Hopefully, it's just a short "transitional phase" and you'll get into the swing of things in no time. Good luck! Go show 'em what you can do!

Take a deep breath, Scooby! Remember, it's just an application and we don't even know if you'll get an interview, although I really hope you do.

Being in a rut can hit any of us at any time in our lives, but when you're stuck in a place that has seriously compromised your mental health and makes you miserable, then it's time to start looking elsewhere. And yes, that can be scary. What I think would be scarier, however, is if you stay where you are and not try something new while your health continues to deteriorate. You deserve a better life than that. A little fear and anxiety now far outweighs the misery of staying in a job that you hate for the rest of your life.

I understand your fear of breaking out of a rut, but you've taken a big step forward, one that will have greater benefits than remaining in that rut forever. Besides, it's always good experience applying for a new job whether you get it or not. You can learn a lot about yourself in an interview and how to sell yourself. It's a time for you to shine.

A cut in pay isn't a great incentive, but if you find a better company and can do work you actually enjoy, then there will likely be a greater chance of advancement. Sometimes you need to take a hit in order to move ahead to something more fulfilling in life.

It's a ride. And a challenge Try and enjoy it as much as possible. And don't forget to tell them Starrunner thinks highly of you!!

Best wishes, and best of luck, my friend.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 04-Jul-2016 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleManAlex View Post

Indeed it's time for you to pursue your new job, just let go the everything that makes your mental overload. and when you get a new job, do the job with your well working, so that you will find everything that is best for you.

Alex, I just thought I'd throw in a few other things here. You may already know all this and have it covered, but just in case....

Keep your resume clear and concise. The person looking at it may be going through dozens of resumes so you want to ensure that the most relevant work experience is highlighted, easy to see and understand. Steer clear of language that is specific to your trade if you are applying in other areas. You don't want someone looking at it and thinking 'what the hell is he talking about?'

The resume should include your work experience in chronological order, usually from your most recent employment. Include your education, any training or courses you've completed, skills and attributes, references, hobbies and interests. Highlight the stuff that is most applicable to the place you are applying to.

A cover letter is always recommended. This should be tailored directly to the place you are applying. In it, you can tell them why you are interested in working for the company and why you would fit in so well. It's a chance to talk about what you can bring to their workplace, for example positive, energetic, thorough, reliable, able to work with minimum supervision, works well under pressure, team player, etc. Don't just regurgitate what's already in your resume. Talk about your achievements ands accomplishments. For example if you made any suggestions or recommendations to improve the efficiency of the workplace or streamline the work, then tell them about it. These are all things employers want to hear. You don't want to sound like you're boasting, but you also want to sell yourself to them so don't be humble. Confidence is a quality most employers are looking for in an interview..

Also, research the company before you go into an interview. Its helpful if you can show your knowledge about the company and its services. .
    Last edited by Starrunner; 04-Jul-2016 at 22:43.

Thanks for all your support guys. Feeling a bit more calm after some sleep, hopefully I get an interview and the job..... though there are a couple of back up options still available, though still in retail those ones will still be a hell of a lot less stressful than the job I'm in now, but if I can get out of the field it will be even better.

Though the hard thing is putting the most important things on a CV, I can talk anyone else up, but I find it difficult to do it for me with out seeming like a rambling lunatic lol :P

I wish you luck and hope this will be better for you. I worked 20 years in a job that was nothing but frustration. Because I was a music director in a dying church, they had to cut my salary from $32,000 a year six thousand, I said good-bye and it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. I love the job I now have and I've had it for the last 13 years. Sometimes you just have to say, "Screw You" to bad employers. Typically, bad employers are their own worst enemies and eventually they get exactly what they deserve.

Thanks for the support, also looking at the sickness benefit as a stepping stone if need be, give me time to adjust.

Got a job interview tomorrow. hopefully it goes well so I don't need to worry too much about the benefit.