Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Sorry Starrunner, I guess it is all my fault

  1. #1

    Default Sorry Starrunner, I guess it is all my fault

    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...gays_unhealthy

    I could have posted the original yahoo news link, but I figured you'd have more fun with Rush.

  2. #2

    Default

    Apology accepted, Maxx. In.the future, I hope you will place my concerns about discrimination within the context of this thread when I say 'You conservatives really do make me sick!'


    Whether or not discrimination is the cause of the higher percentage of health problems in the LGBT population, most studies have already demonstrated that our group suffers disproportionately from mental health issues, depression, anxiety, higher rates of suicidal ideation, alcoholism, substance abuse and self harm. It's understandable. We live in a world where we still face discrimination in the workplace, we get turned down for housing, and we are still often denied service. In spite of all our legal advancements, we still face a disproportionate amount of violence and harassment. Many of us live alone and isolated, afraid to come out to friends or family, and we live our life as a lie. Sound depressing? Believe me, it is.

    I spent a number of years working at a drop-in centre for marginalized youth. The statistics were shocking. Approximately 40 percent of our homeless youth self identified as LGBT, many of them thrown out of their homes when their parents found out or when the youths came out to them. When they get thrown onto the street at that age, the predators are always there to step in and take them 'under their wing,' introducing them to drugs, alcohol, and sex work. The longer they are on the street, the harder it is to get them housed and back in school again, or developing a work plan. A life with little hope at such a young age will likely lead to illness and loss of life. We see it now in the transgender population which has a 41 percent rate of suicide attempts. Many LGBT people are still not out to their doctors and not getting the specific health treatment they require.

    In my community, I've seen a lot of positive change in attitudes as society has become educated about the lives of the LGBT population. People have different perspectives when they discover it's someone in their own family, a good friend, a colleague, a son or a daughter who comes out gay. It's the real stories and relations that change hearts and minds in constructive ways, not the ramblings of Limbaugh or his ilk..
    Last edited by Starrunner; 30-Jun-2016 at 16:22.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...gays_unhealthy

    I could have posted the original yahoo news link, but I figured you'd have more fun with Rush.
    I think the headline there should have been, "Nutjob goes nuts after seeing report stating the bleedin' obvious".

  4. #4

    Default

    When a large majority of society bullies a small segment of society, should anyone be surprised that the much smaller segment is not only depressed, but also frightened.

    Good to see you back Maxx. I'm glad that there are no bed things going on in your life. When we hit our age, the grim reaper has a way of making our lives miserable. I have an aching leg for no apparent reason. Oh well, life goes on.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I have an aching leg for no apparent reason.
    I have two! Feels like my kneecaps are coming undone

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    When a large majority of society bullies a small segment of society, should anyone be surprised that the much smaller segment is not only depressed, but also frightened.
    To modify an old joke just a little...

    Patient to Psychiatrist: Doc, people point and laugh when I do this.

    Psychiatrist to patient: Then stop doing it.

    Too many people take themselves far too seriously.



    Good to see you back Maxx. I'm glad that there are no bed things going on in your life. When we hit our age, the grim reaper has a way of making our lives miserable. I have an aching leg for no apparent reason. Oh well, life goes on.
    Oh, there's plenty of that crap... has been for decades. Something new every morning when I hit the floor. When I think about it, most of them I can trace back to old bike crashes, wrestling injuries, etc., that are catching up to me bit by bit. I don't take anything seriously unless it survives 10 miles of warmup on the bike. But yes, nothing likely to be fatal anytime soon. Just annoying.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    To modify an old joke just a little...

    Patient to Psychiatrist: Doc, people point and laugh when I do this.

    Psychiatrist to patient: Then stop doing it.

    Too many people take themselves far too seriously.
    Believe me, Maxx, we don't take ourselves all that seriously, at least not all the time. One thing we don't take seriously is the belief that homosexuality is a 'choice' or the conservatives who still think it can be cured. The medical and counselling professions help people to accept themselves for who they are, not try and change them into something they cannot be.


    To modify an old joke just a little:

    Psychiatrist to heterosexual:

    1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

    2. When and where did you decide you were a heterosexual?

    3. Is it possible this is just a phase and you will out grow it?

    4. Is it possible that your sexual orientation has stemmed from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?

    5. Do your parents know you are straight? Do your friends know- how did they react?

    6. If you have never slept with a person of the same sex, is it just possible that all you need is a good gay lover?

    7. Why do you insist on flaunting your heterosexuality... can’t you just be who you are and keep it quiet?

    8. Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?

    9. Why do heterosexuals try to recruit others into this lifestyle?

    10. A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexual... Do you consider it safe to expose children to heterosexual teachers?

    11. Just what do men and women do in bed together? How can they truly know how to please each other, being so anatomically different?

    12. With all the societal support marriage receives, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?

    13. How can you become a whole person if you limit yourself to compulsive, exclusive heterosexuality?

    14. Considering the menace of overpopulation how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual?

    15. Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Don't you feel that he or she might be inclined to influence you in the direction of his or her leanings?

    16. There seem to very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed that might enable you to change if you really want to.

    17. Have you considered trying aversion therapy?

    ( Questions sourced from Queers United http://queersunited.blogspot.ca/ )
    Last edited by Starrunner; 30-Jun-2016 at 16:24.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Believe me, Maxx, we don't take ourselves all that seriously, at least not all the time. One thing we don't take seriously is the belief that homosexuality is a 'choice' or the conservatives who still think it can be cured. The medical and counselling professions help people to accept themselves for who they are, not try and change them into something they cannot be.


    To modify an old joke just a little:

    Psychiatrist to heterosexual:

    1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

    2. When and where did you decide you were a heterosexual?

    3. Is it possible this is just a phase and you will out grow it?

    4. Is it possible that your sexual orientation has stemmed from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?

    5. Do your parents know you are straight? Do your friends know- how did they react?

    6. If you have never slept with a person of the same sex, is it just possible that all you need is a good gay lover?

    7. Why do you insist on flaunting your heterosexuality... can’t you just be who you are and keep it quiet?

    8. Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?

    9. Why do heterosexuals try to recruit others into this lifestyle?

    10. A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexual... Do you consider it safe to expose children to heterosexual teachers?

    11. Just what do men and women do in bed together? How can they truly know how to please each other, being so anatomically different?

    12. With all the societal support marriage receives, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?

    13. How can you become a whole person if you limit yourself to compulsive, exclusive heterosexuality?

    14. Considering the menace of overpopulation how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual?

    15. Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Don't you feel that he or she might be inclined to influence you in the direction of his orher leanings?

    16. There seem to very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed that might enable you to change if you really want to.

    17. Have you considered trying aversion therapy?

    ( Questions sourced from Queers United http://queersunited.blogspot.ca/ )
    Touché

    Not to quibble, but there is the small point of free will. Attractions and tendencies of all kinds may be inborn, or conditioned by upbringing and culture. Doesn't really matter. Actions and behaviors are still under voluntary control, regardless of how compelling they may seem. While I may lust after the doctor's receptionist or the neighbor's teenage daughter, or a bottle of whiskey, or whatever.... the choice to act on the desire is still mine.

    Don't wan't to/difficult/don't understand why I should resist the temptation, are all legitimate statements.

    Can't is an excuse and deflecting responsibility for your actions.
    Last edited by Maxx; 30-Jun-2016 at 15:45.

  9. #9

    Default

    Same goes to diaper wearing then. I can chose not to wear diapers, but why would I? As for a sexual partner, I'm going to chose the person and gender who turns me on. Why would I chose the opposite? It all makes sense to me.

    I suspect that younger people take themselves more seriously than us old geezers because they're still trying to discover who they are, and that can be extremely stressful if who you are, bucks the social majority. I did that for four years in college and it was stressful. I took my circumstances seriously, not so much myself. That poor soul was getting drunk or stoned every night to kill the demons.

    As I got older, the demons disappeared, one by one as I began to accept myself for who I really am. What I discovered was that I mostly liked myself, and those who didn't like me, didn't matter to me. For most of them, I was doing better than they were, so ha ha to them. At the same time, I was married to a girl, so I was no longer bucking that part of society, and I was happy with my family, but not everyone is in that place. If you're in the minority, it's more difficult to get comfortable with how the world spins. Anyway, these are nothing more than my rambling thoughts after working tonight, so I may be idiotically wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...haha.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Same goes to diaper wearing then. I can chose not to wear diapers, but why would I? As for a sexual partner, I'm going to chose the person and gender who turns me on. Why would I chose the opposite? It all makes sense to me.
    Yes. Spot on.

    Point being, you can also make the opposite choice for your own reasons. I'm annoyed almost to the point of offense with the "can't help myself" excuse.

Similar Threads

  1. I guess it's hello again
    By Fullmetallittle in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2015, 02:11
  2. I guess I'm new here
    By Steve in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-Jan-2010, 17:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.