Thread: Take a moment, and appreciate this lady

Thumbs up Take a moment, and appreciate this lady

The inventor of diapers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	women5-9910.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	26506

First of many moments taken mate. Who is she? Give us a rundown of one of the most important people in our history please!

Well it was a man who started the whole movement when he felt it was too messy when changing his grandchild or something

No way! They had diapers back in American cowboy times. I read they never washed the diapers, just hung them to dry next to the fire... Ewww!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    No way! They had diapers back in American cowboy times. I read they never washed the diapers, just hung them to dry next to the fire... Ewww!
    I think this is the inventor of disposables!

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    First of many moments taken mate. Who is she? Give us a rundown of one of the most important people in our history please!

She invented disposable diapers.

That's Marion Donovan there. She came up with the "Boater" in the late 40s.

For coming up with my fave kind of diaper, I salute you, ma'am!

Default Diposable diapers

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonstah View Post
    Well it was a man who started the whole movement when he felt it was too messy when changing his grandchild or something

Pampers: Founded by Grandfather Victor Mills

Victor Mills was an American chemical engineer who, while working for the Procter & Gamble Co., revolutionized child care with the invention of the disposable diaper; he began work on that product in the 1950s, using his grandchildren as test subjects (b. 1897--d. Nov. 1, 1997).

Marion Donovan
    Inventions

After World War II, unhappy with the thankless and repetitive task of changing her daughter's cloth diapers, along with the mess the soiled diaper made to the surrounding bedsheets and her daughter's clothing, she came up with a possible solution. With the use of a sewing machine and a shower curtain, she succeeded in developing what is considered the first waterproof diaper cover.[3] Not only did this new diaper keep the bed and clothing from becoming wet or soiled, but it also did not cause chafing or diaper rash.

Donovan was granted four patents for her diaper cover, including the use of plastic snaps as opposed to safety pins.[3] In 1949, she attempted to sell what she called the "boater" to a number of different manufacturers; the effort was, at first, largely unsuccessful. She later started selling the waterproof diaper at Saks Fifth Avenue.[1] Two years later her company and patents were sold for $1,000,000 to the Keko Corporation.[1][4]
    Donovan was granted 20 patents from 1951 to 1996. These included woman-related essentials and other convenience items, such as a facial tissue box, storage container box, towel dispenser, hosiery clamp, envelope and writing sheet combination, closet organizer, and dental flossing products.[4] In 1985, she invented the product DentaLoop, a two-ply dental floss that eliminated the need to wrap the dental floss around one's finger for use.[1]
    A couple of variations to consider - both, we'll appreciate...

-Marka

I once read somewhere that in England during the Victorian era a babies "breech cloths" were only changed every one or two days; gross! Imagine the diaper rash!