Thread: Doing a diploma.

Question Doing a diploma.

I kind of got talked into a diploma by accident today, WHILE I WAS DIAPERED AT A SHOPPING CENTRE XD.. which was hell awkward.

though some college, I decided to jump on the "train" and took the offer, a friend of mine is doing the same course. I'm not sure weather or not to do it, I've booked into a literacy and numeracy test. It's free because the government loans out fees, for diplomas and above.

Though, I found it a bit odd, that the course costs, $24,750 is that normal for a diploma level? The college is called Evocca. It's a legitimate college anyways.

I'm not sure if I will pass the basic numeracy and literacy test, as that is a requirement if you failed year 12.

I think I did the same test, at tafe I did get a level three, she mentioned something about a level three.

Anyways, I know this will be a weird question, should I do the diploma? I did fail tafe, but that was due to a lack of interest because it was too easy, and having mental issues atm.

I looked into the college for a bit, It seems rather sketchy and over priced, can't seem to find one good review on it, yikes...

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkBear View Post
    I looked into the college for a bit, It seems rather sketchy and over priced, can't seem to find one good review on it, yikes...
    I would try to get away from it if you could. These places, while they are 'legitimate', run high fees with little support for those who are struggling. The government does oversee the people that give out loans for fees, etc., yes, but these loans are expected to be paid back, in full, with interest. The government itself does not tend to be the one giving out the money, and it can be difficult to cover the costs of repayment of these loans without advanced schooling (which of course costs more...).

If you truly want to get a diploma or degree of some level, there are many other government run programs that either do not cost or the cost is so minimal that there is no need to worry about it. This is just some 'college' trying to get $25k of your hard earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    I would try to get away from it if you could. These places, while they are 'legitimate', run high fees with little support for those who are struggling. The government does oversee the people that give out loans for fees, etc., yes, but these loans are expected to be paid back, in full, with interest. The government itself does not tend to be the one giving out the money, and it can be difficult to cover the costs of repayment of these loans without advanced schooling (which of course costs more...).

If you truly want to get a diploma or degree of some level, there are many other government run programs that either do not cost or the cost is so minimal that there is no need to worry about it. This is just some 'college' trying to get $25k of your hard earned money.
    Yeah, I kind of did some more digging around, I could just finish my Tafe course, and do a diploma for way less, I'm definitely steering clear from this, sounded like a great idea at first, until I looked into it, even my mother said it's a bit too much.

If it I didn't listen to my anxiety, chances are I would of did it. I feel sorry for the people conned into it, just five minutes of researched revealed that they are indeed sketchy, and have high failure rates and from what I've read, people can't find there documents they need, get no support etc.

The only thing they have is my email and my phone, thankfully, I'll just ignore the emails, and never call back xD. I just did some basic math, 25,000 * 900 people = $22,500,000 yikes.

I guess sometimes depression and anxiety does have it's benefits xD, my brain always telling me something isn't right, and there gonna screw me around some how xD.

I'm going to avoid this xD

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkBear View Post
    Yeah, I kind of did some more digging around, I could just finish my Tafe course, and do a diploma for way less, I'm definitely steering clear from this, sounded like a great idea at first, until I looked into it, even my mother said it's a bit too much.

If it I didn't listen to my anxiety, chances are I would of did it. I feel sorry for the people conned into it, just five minutes of researched revealed that they are indeed sketchy, and have high failure rates and from what I've read, people can't find there documents they need, get no support etc.

The only thing they have is my email and my phone, thankfully, I'll just ignore the emails, and never call back xD. I just did some basic math, 25,000 * 900 people = $22,500,000 yikes.

I guess sometimes depression and anxiety does have it's benefits xD, my brain always telling me something isn't right, and there gonna screw me around some how xD.

I'm going to avoid this xD
    Glad to hear there's nothing concrete tying you down to this place! Anytime there's that little thing in your brain saying things are questionable, it's worth doing a quick double-check. My son had actually been looking into a local college I hadn't heard of, and took us to an open-house there. They were small enough that it left me wondering if they were much like this place you are describing and whether it would be a worthwhile investment or just someone trying to suck away money.

I was quite surprised when they put forward that they have the same accreditation as the state universities (and had been so for 50+years), together with full reciprocity on courses that are accepted as transfer. From there, I knew it was a legitimate college when they looked at my son's grades and the program he wanted to get into and warned him that his chances of getting in were slim. Sometimes places are sketchy, other times there are a few gems hidden around out there.

Hello again DrunkBear! I've actually completed a Diploma recently in IT Networks.
    Stick with the TAFE system. Don't go to the private colleges.

To provide a little bit of background. My diploma ended up costing $5.2k which I took out on VET-FEE-HELP debt (WA state government loan similar to federal university HECS). If you are thinking that the private college will make it easier for you to pass, it might actually do that. These colleges set the barrier to entry and the course materials difficulty to very low levels.

In terms of future employment and the industry I am in, most IT employers wont take on private college graduates. There's no guarantee as to the level of training they were provided, with TAFE you have that guarantee. Also if you're interested in going to university, most Australian public universities wont accept private training college education in considering credits/exemptions(Advanced Standing). With TAFE you can often take a pathway into university through the diploma and receive exemptions while doing so.

Also you said it's free because the government loans out fees. It is not free. You will eventually have to pay for it (at an indexed rate). Once you start earning above $55,000 P.A. the state government will want the money back. Google "VET-FEE-HELP", I can't link it to you but there's a studyassist website (federal government) which will detail all of that out.

So by the looks of it, If I were to do the diploma with the private college it would be useless?

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with tafe + vet fee help. I'm aware it's not free, :P the course itself is free upfront, but you have to pay that back eventually. I've got a booklet on vet fees.

Interesting, so you save a ton by the looks of it I I were to do the tafe system, which I'm sticking with now

While not all private colleges are bad, I'm really glad to hear that you didn't wind up in this one.

The reality of schooling, especially specialized higher education, is that most people need a good structure and support system to do well. That's why the majority of public universities have programs where you physically live on or near a campus and attend classes every day.

The alternative programs offered by many small for-profit schools have a very high failure or drop out rate and are sometimes little more than ways if tricking people into getting federal loans and then scamming them out of the money.

One of the best things you can do when looking into a field is actually just to ask around among friends (ADISC counts as "among friends" too). Finding out stuff like what sorts of certifications or courses are important for a particular field can help direct you to legitimate resources. You can also look for things like whether a particular school is properly accredited to give out different degrees or certifications. No accreditation means you're probably looking at a scam.