In / out let's shaky it all about UK

EU referendum in - out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
cp88 said:
I'm also extremely frustrated that due to this referendum that the UK is now virtually politically paralyzed because the Prime minister has effectively resigned, but is staying put as a caretaker prime minister until there is a new leader of the conservative party...

I actually see that as a good thing. My first thought, when I saw the result, was that Cameron should resign. He led the Remain campaign and now faces to oversee us leaving the EU. It seems like there's a conflict of interest, and anything he does that Eurosceptics don't like will be seen as "his fault".

I think part of moving on and accepting the "leave" vote requires new visions; new leadership.

cp88 said:
...and whilst this is going on we now have the Labour party at war with it self and that (as of writing this 11 shadow cabinet members have resigned. The Labour infighting is going to be painful for the party because at present they've got a leader who isn't particularly liked by most of the parliamentary party but is still popular with the membership but he doesn't appear to be that popular with the voting public either.

Again, that's an interesting development. I don't know what's happened to Labour since Gordon Brown stepped down. It's like they're not really sure who they're supposed to represent any more. It's as if they're the new Lib Dems. And... talking of the Lib Dems... Where have they been?! Do they still exist?! Come on Tim!

I actually like Corbyn. I think he's a very considered and intelligent man, and it would be great to see him taking an active and prominent role in British politics. But leader...? He's too sincere. Modern society wants a "celebrity" leader; a great orator; someone able to produce inspiring and reassuring nonsense and repetitive strap-lines on demand.

cp88 said:
What is really worrying me about the divisions is that there seem to be people taking advantage of this situation more specifically Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP who are claiming Scotland is being taken out of the EU against it's will because Scotland vote 62% to 38% to Remain but this vote was a national vote as the UK and the result was a UK wide one, even though only 38% of the Scottish people who voted (Turnout was 67.2% in Scotland) wanted to leave this is still 1,018,322 votes which really added to the tally of leave votes overall plus you've also got Martin McGuinness in Northern Ireland claiming there may be grounds for a referendum for a unified Ireland. But I think the SNP are trying to be more divisive by claiming there mighe have to be a second independence referendum and is even talking about using Holyrood to veto Brexit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36635012

I don't know. I think it's valid for Scotland to consider its own interests if they see things very differently from the rest of the UK. I'll admit to knowing very little about Nicola Sturgeon and her policies, but she represents Scotland, and it's good to see an MP standing up and offering (what seems to be) quite a popular proposition.

I suppose what really amazes me is that the referendum was essentially promised to placate a minority of former Conservative-voters from switching to UKIP, a party that got 12.7% of the votes in the 2015 election. I bet Cameron thought it was a safe bet. Power is a funny thing.

tiny said:
Again, that's an interesting development. I don't know what's happened to Labour since Gordon Brown stepped down. It's like they're not really sure who they're supposed to represent any more. It's as if they're the new Lib Dems. And... talking of the Lib Dems... Where have they been?! Do they still exist?! Come on Tim!

That's been true for about twenty years though. Labour is torn between the Old Left, the Blairite Tory-Light, and the Lib-Dem-leaning centre. It's become too diverse to manage unless you are a superlative political operator. Tony Blair was such a person (not at all a compliment), but none of his successors have been. It's entirely possible that one of the consequences of this referendum may be a breakup of both the major parties, and a long-overdue realignment of the whole British political structure.

tiny said:
I actually like Corbyn. I think he's a very considered and intelligent man, and it would be great to see him taking an active and prominent role in British politics. But leader...? He's too sincere. Modern society wants a "celebrity" leader; a great orator; someone able to produce inspiring and reassuring nonsense and repetitive strap-lines on demand.

It’s more than that Tiny. It’s the ability to read the populace (even if only at the superficial level) enough to formulate a vision that resonates with the electorate; the communication skills to articulate it; the ambition to drive it; the charisma and negotiating skills to get disparate groups to unite behind it. Corbyn’s problem is that for all he has been in parliament for 30 years, he is no politician, and though we live in an age of great political disenchantment, where “politician” is essentially a dirty word, you can’t expect to head a major national political party without major political skills. Constituency MP of a safe Labour seat, perhaps, but not Leader of the Labour Party. It’s rather telling that before now, Corbyn had never held any office of state, even at the junior minister level, in either the actual or shadow cabinets. Being intelligent, sincere and considered is not enough at the level of national politics. It never was. It never will be, no matter how much you succeed at cleaning up politics.

Corbyn may well be the choice of the party membership (conspiracy theories aside), but that says more about the internal politics of the Labour party than it does about Corbyn’s suitability for the position. If he can’t maintain the support of the Parliamentary party, he’s not fit for the job.

Last edited:
Maxx said:
1. Was this even a binding referendum? I heard on one of our Sunday political shows that it wasn't. Why all the hubbub? Here, the ruling elites would ignore it just as they did California's referendum on gay marriage. That one was binding, too, if I remember correctly....

1. Yes this referendum was a non binding advisory referendum. But I think for many reason politicians wouldn't want to ignore the will of the people, yes theoretically they could choose to ignore this vote but that could mean disenfranchising the people that voted to Leave, risking protest/riots on the streets and finally the best way is to keep a politician honest to do it at the Ballot Box, there is a chance that there may be a General Election this year if the next Prime Minister may want one so they have a mandate from the people thought this would mean there would either have to be a change in the law to repeal the Fixed Parliaments Act or to get a vote for a election through Parliament which is tricky given it requires a two thirds majority from Parliament to do this

Maxx said:
2. There's a problem with uncontrolled migration in Europe, just as there is in the U.S. Before political correctness, this would have been called "invasion". I'm not sure how much of this is actually a result of EU regs and policies, but the news we get over here suggests that the vote to exit was largely a reaction to that. In the face of an invasion, a bit of xenophobia is a good thing. For those of you on the side of open borders, consider how your life might be when your country is brought down to third world least common denominator. Personally, I'm much more concerned about my life, and my families than I am about the third world. Sympathy, yes, help, within reason, sitting in a circle singing kumbaya while the invasion swarms over us, no.

Immigration, in reasonable numbers, with assimilation and some kind of filter over who and what gets in is a good thing. Just ask the American Indians how uncontrolled immigration worked out for THEM.

There is Freedom of Movement of People if you're an EU citizen this allows any EU citizen to live and work in any EU member state of there choosing this is fairly controversial as you can imagine but it works both ways because people from the EU can come and live and work here and there are also quite a few Brits living across the EU some to work but others move out to places like Spain to retire. If we want when we leave the EU we might want to still be a part of the Single Market but as part of that deal we will have to agree to all elements of the single market which is freedom of movement of goods services and people still. so those that want to leave the EU because of immigration will probably find themselves disappointed because we still won'r be able to control all migration in the country. [/QUOTE]

Maxx said:
3. Economically, the EU, and its predecessor the Common Market, is a sound idea, and exit is likely to work out badly for the UK in the short term. However, it seems likely to me that the EU organization, like any organization granted power and authority, tried to expand its little empire and sphere of influence. If that is true, I would likely have voted for exit under the assumption that the long term bad consequences of another ever-expanding layer of government would ultimately trump <pun intended> the short term bad economic outcome.

one of the primary reason's I voted to leave the EU was because of political union because I don't find the EU that accountable. Yes we have elected representatives in the European Parliament but they are not elected on any legislative program and I don't think they can propose laws but can only approve or reject them. Then we could go onto the Presidents of different parts of the EU all of which are not elected by the people. You have Jean Claude Juncker who is the President of the EU commission he was appointed to his job by the heads of government of all EU member states, Martin Schultz who is the President of the EU Parliament who is elected by the members of the European Parliament along with others as well

cp88 said:
[...]
Yes we have elected representatives in the European Parliament but they are not elected on any legislative program and I don't think they can propose laws but can only approve or reject them. Then we could go onto the Presidents of different parts of the EU all of which are not elected by the people. You have Jean Claude Juncker who is the President of the EU commission he was appointed to his job by the heads of government of all EU member states, Martin Schultz who is the President of the EU Parliament who is elected by the members of the European Parliament along with others as well

The EP:
compared to some decades ago the EP has become powerfull. It's not as powerfull as one might wish in respect of its impact, but hey: it's far better than nothing (and it's a political compromise of the souvereign (!) member states.
By the way[SUB]1[/SUB]: Is there any serious parliament on this planet whose president not is elected by the parliament itself? Of course they do have the competence to decide on who chairs them on their own!
By the way[SUB]2[/SUB]: Did you know the parliament to have the power to reject the Commission as whole?

Presidents etc. not being elected directely:
I don't think that to be a killing kriterium. Here in Germany neither the Federal president (head of state) nor the Federal Chancellor (head of gouvernement) nor the Prime Ministers of the Federal States (Countries would be the more litteral translation) are elected by the people. It's the respective parliaments to elect them (the President is special, though). Even communal heads (mayors, chairmen of districts) aren't necessarely elected directly... And we are a democracy, aren't we?
So, generally there doesn't seem to be that much wrong with that. For the EU though, there still is quite some potential unused.
By the way[SUB]1[/SUB]: The German constitution previews but one case of referendum on federal level: Revisions of the federal territory. And there's just one imaginable possibility left: When the United States of Europe (or whatever they'll be called) eventually form (call me a dreamer, but I do belive in this) and Germany will ned a new constitution to become a federal European state, the people will have to be asked (although, reading our traditions, this might become some event of indirect democracy, too). Everything else: No chance. At all.
By the way[SUB]2[/SUB]: Who elects the British head of state?

Something very else: keeping acces to the commen market:
This would only work as associated state. Like Norway.
The most likely problem here: The associated states do have to comply the rules. But they don't have any granted right to influence them. I'm not quite sure if it's that, which Britain does wish.

Just my two pence :twocents:

Who elects the British head of state?

We the British people elect our government both locally and nationally.

But sometimes I wonder if it's the "men in the dark suits" as Queenie has been known to observe!!!

But if that ever did come to light then heads would roll.

Mummm I thinks that how we got in this mess in the first place. By cutting peoples heads off and fighting over it all.
Well at least this time around we we didn't end up shooting each other, oh wait mummmm, well most of us behaved.

I still think we should just give the whole lot back to Queenie as I think she would know what to do. As all great grandparents do.

Or may be we should be sent to bed for a nap. For being a loade of grumpy pants and not wanting to play with our freands anymore.

Hee, hee

Sisi

Maxx said:
1. Was this even a binding referendum? I heard on one of our Sunday political shows that it wasn't. Why all the hubbub? Here, the ruling elites would ignore it just as they did California's referendum on gay marriage. That one was binding, too, if I remember correctly....

No -- I don't think it was legally binding. Just an election "promise" from David Cameron.

There are a lot of murmurs about the possibility of just ignoring the result, or having a second referendum, but I think the implicit acknowledgement by the ruling classes that democracy is dead would cause riots! The idea would have to be sold to the public very carefully, so even if that's what happens, the ruling elites couldn't publicly admit that. I'm curious to see how that develops...

Maxx said:
2. There's a problem with uncontrolled migration in Europe, just as there is in the U.S. Before political correctness, this would have been called "invasion".

Nonsense! Invasion is when an organisation attempts to overthrow a region's political system.

Maxx said:
In the face of an invasion, a bit of xenophobia is a good thing.

Ha ha! You did not just say that?!

Why is it good to hate people based on the geographical region of their birth?! That's just silly! Do you discriminate against people due to skin colour or hair colour too? Damn brown-eyed people! Always drowning puppies!

Anyway, I thought you were into freedom and libertarianism? Why let a tiny number of the aristocratic elite divide the world up into lines where people (depending on birth) can or cannot go?! Surely there's an inherent freedom for people to go wherever they please?

It's British imperialism that's to blame. The old geezers wanted to divide up the world into neat boxes, and enslave people to the box of their birth.

Maxx said:
Just ask the American Indians how uncontrolled immigration worked out for THEM.

That was an invasion.

Maxx said:
3. Economically, the EU, and its predecessor the Common Market, is a sound idea, and exit is likely to work out badly for the UK in the short term. However, it seems likely to me that the EU organization, like any organization granted power and authority, tried to expand its little empire and sphere of influence. If that is true, I would likely have voted for exit under the assumption that the long term bad consequences of another ever-expanding layer of government would ultimately trump <pun intended> the short term bad economic outcome.

I sat on the fence for most of the debate because neither side seemed to make a convincing argument. I swayed towards remaining because I think the EU is a great concept and, although it's long overdue a review/reform, we could have fought to steer it in a slightly different direction... but... maybe I'm being a little optimistic here.

European leaders have (quite rightly and understandably) said that they won't discuss negotiations until Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is invoked (committing the UK to leave the EU within two years). At which point, they can hold the deadline (at which all trade and political agreements automatically expire) like an axe above our head. And if they make it easy for us, other countries will leave, completely disintegrating the EU. :-/

John Major did a great job at getting us an exemption from adopting the Euro. That was a crazy idea -- I can't believe so many countries agreed to it. The idea of a single international currency is great, but regions need control of fiscal policy to reflect localised trends.

Concerning immigration, I think even the little Englanders and xenophobes were quite happy with the EU until the Eastern European and former Soviet countries joined in the mid-1990s. Regardless of your views on free movement, the financial situations in the new member countries was markedly different to those in the West, and large numbers of people suddenly wanted to come to Britain. It all happened too quickly for society.

If we'd never had the concept of borders restricting free movement, the world would have adapted to becoming a fairer place without the dramatic changes and upheavals we intermittently experience. The past few hundred years of imperialistic and individualistic aristocratic policies have left the world with an obvious and inherent imbalance of power and resources. There's a gaping chasm between rich and poor that continues to be unfairly exploited. The most visible form of this discrimination is in preventing free movement. Why shouldn't people be free to make a better life for themselves? But now we've got ourselves in this situation, we can't fix it overnight by sudden changes to social and financial systems.

we're joining the USA instead!!!!
get ready for 60 million rednecks!!!
:clap:

tiny said:
Nonsense! Invasion is when an organisation attempts to overthrow a region's political system.
in modern use, 'invasion' is a taking over of an area or an unwelcome intrusion, as with an invasive spieces or an invasion of privacy, etc.
the interpretation which you're using is one of very recent times and derives from policies such as 'political correctness' and 'positive discrimination' and may be bouyed by the original senses of an attack or enemy intrusion.

anyway, lots else to say, but i'm largely just saddened and pissed off by the whole affair. or, more specifically, 'their' attitude.
it's really reaffirmed my view that it's time we were rid of government completely. they aren't us and we aren't them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back