Thread: Bad few nights

Default Bad few nights

For some reason I haven't been able to sleep well. At some point in the night I would start to think of a dark and scary thought. This would result in me not sleeping. Last night I decided to diaper up to help calm the thoughts. Thankfully it worked and I was able to sleep. If anyone wants detail I wouldn't mind sharing.

Yeah, it's terrible when disturbing thoughts invade your mind when you settle down to sleep. When I was working, I sued to worry about the job instead of sleeping. My mind would run in circles for a couple hours before I could go to sleep. Now, I go to bed almost every night, diapered. It helps.

I have a very hard time sleeping due to anxiety/dysphoria. I wear diapers every night because they help reduce my agitation enough that I can fall asleep. Benadryl usually helps keep me asleep.

Finally got a good night's sleep. Feeling great

some manner of religious activity that you feel comfortable with and or a meditation can help too when that happens.

I can not sleep with "Howard Hug" my diapered teddy bear, and "Pam", my diapered baby dolly friend.

I see there's ten reasons why can't sleep well,
    there are:

1. You think too much
    The reason you sometimes obsess over a tricky work project or an argument with your best friend when you're trying to fall asleep: "You can't refocus your thinking at the edge of slumber the same way you can when you're alert," says Colleen E. Carney, PhD, an assistant professor of psychiatry at the Insomnia and Sleep Research Program at Duke University Medical Center. "People have little control over their thoughts, because they may be going in and out of a light stage of sleep, even though they think they're awake," she says.

2. You sleep in
    Late nights followed by extra sack time the next morning throw off your internal clock, which is controlled by a cluster of nerve cells in the brain that also regulate appetite and body temperature, says Lawrence Epstein, MD, medical director of Sleep Health Centers in Brighton, MA, and author of The Harvard Medical School Guide to a Good Night's Sleep. When Sunday rolls around, you're reprogrammed to stay up past your bedtime, and you feel like a zombie on Monday morning.

3. Your spouse chops wood
    A snorer's sawing can reach 90 decibels—as loud as a blender. Even if you can get to sleep, his snoring will likely wax and wane through the night and wake you up during REM sleep, the most restful phase.

4. Your hormones change
    Fluctuating levels of estrogen and progesterone before or during your period or throughout perimenopause can sabotage sleep, says Walsleben. You may notice problems—mainly waking up during the night—long before you start having hot flashes, she says.

5. Your stomach growls
    Going to bed hungry interferes with sleep—hunger pangs simply wake you up—and some evidence suggests that people trying to lose weight may wake up frequently, says Peter Hauri, PhD, a professor emeritus at the Mayo Clinic and author of No More Sleepless Nights.

6. Your bedroom is a mess
    You keep a messy pile of papers on your nightstand...and your desk...and the floor. A cluttered sleep environment makes for a cluttered mind—the kind that churns well into the night. Stress is the number one cause of short-term sleep problems such as frequent middle-of-the-night waking and insomnia, according to the American Psychological Association.

7. Your room glows
    Believe it or not, ambient light from street lamps, alarm clocks, and DVD players could be keeping you awake. "Even a small amount of brightness can be strong enough to enter your retina when your eyes are closed," says Amy Wolfson, PhD, author of The Woman's Book of Sleep: A Complete Resource Guide. "At night, it sends a signal to your brain that upsets your internal clock and makes you feel awake."

8. You can hear a pin drop
    For some people, any sound (the television, rowdy neighbors, traffic) keeps them up at night. Other folks—namely, city dwellers—are creeped out in super quiet places.

9. You sleep with dust mites
    You could be sharing your bed with anywhere from 100,000 to 10 million dust mites, says Alan Goldsobel, MD, a fellow of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology in San Jose, CA, and the residue they leave behind can trigger mild to very severe allergies.

10. You let Pets in
    We know—you love your pet, but more than half of dog and cat owners admitted that their animal disrupted their sleep every night, according to a small survey done by the Mayo Clinic.