Thread: Some sad news

Default Some sad news

Got some sad news today, A very good friend, who is like a 2nd father to me, He calls me son, I call him down, was just diagnosed with late stage Prostate Cancer, his time line isn't looking to good. Had to try distract myself because it really upset me, he is one of the kindest people I know, he has supported me, I lived with him for a year and a half when I had nowhere else to go, he is one of the few people who know that I wear, and the reason behind it, and he gives the best hugs. I love him and his family, who are like my second family and it upsets me that this happening especially when the biggest assholes on the planet walk around in good health. I'm not a praying man, but I do pray that he is too stubborn to let this get him.

Huggles. My grandad is in a similar situation to your friend, He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 years ago and was told that there's not a lot they can do and he'll never get better but he is on medication to slow it down as much as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really sorry for that sad news, try and stay strong for your mate, and remember that this can even strengthen your already special relationship. Better return some of those awesome hugs. He's lucky to have someone that cares so much for him. that ones for you, take care dude.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleManAlex View Post
    Got some sad news today, A very good friend, who is like a 2nd father to me, He calls me son, I call him down, was just diagnosed with late stage Prostate Cancer, his time line isn't looking to good. Had to try distract myself because it really upset me, he is one of the kindest people I know, he has supported me, I lived with him for a year and a half when I had nowhere else to go, he is one of the few people who know that I wear, and the reason behind it, and he gives the best hugs. I love him and his family, who are like my second family and it upsets me that this happening especially when the biggest assholes on the planet walk around in good health. I'm not a praying man, but I do pray that he is too stubborn to let this get him.
    Very sorry to hear this, Alex. It sounds like he has been a rock of stability in your life when you needed it. The thing about cancer is that it doesn't discriminate amongst income, gender, ethnicity or health. Don't let this make you bitter. Your friend has been there for you when you needed it, and the best support you can give right now is to be there for him. Cancer can be unpredictable and medical opinions are often just that; opinions, so it's hard to say how much time he has on this earth. My advice is to simply take it one day at a time and to be there for him the way he was there for you. It's your chance to give back. Most importantly, cherish each of the oncoming days with your friend. He's here with you now, so just make each day the best it can be. Your comfort, care, appreciation and love is the best medicine he can receive to make him as strong as possible throughout this ordeal. Make each day count. And also, take care of yourself. The news of cancer is devastating not only to the individual, but also the family and friends. Cancer affects all of us. I hope you're holding up as well.

Hugs as always, my friend.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 19-Jun-2016 at 19:01.

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. There are those special people in our lives who touch us with their love. I've lost a number of older adult friends who loved me when I was a child. They are special people indeed. I choose to believe they continue on in the spiritual realm and I hope to be with them once again.

Like Starrunner said, don't count him out just yet. Medical science is finding new cancer treatments all the time. Enjoy him while you have him and create new memories by doing some fun things. He'll appreciate your company. Hugs.

To add on to what dogboy said, make the time left as quality as possible. Just don't try to make it sad, he'll be the one that'll need the emotional help now. Don't dwell on the diagnosis. Positive energy can go a long way in helping everyone.

In my experience, my uncle passed away from liver cancer. I didn't know him well as we lived far apart. When I visited him, he was tired of the different treatment because he was dying. It's depressing when everyone treats you as if you were dying. It's the last thing anyone in his shoes, to be treated this way.

While you want to spend time with him, do fun and interesting things to free the mind of this for both of you. Cancer will be the last thing he'll want to talk about.

Thank you all very much for all the hugs and support. Will hopefully join him in his shed for a night on the booze, just be there and show my love