Help me find a dress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sissybaby34 said:
I have bought about 6 Dresses from this seller on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?it...e1T-rLm&_ssn=lolita4321&_pgn=2&_skc=100&rt=nc
Including this one. View attachment 26873
They have been made to measure and it is very simple to supply measurements. Only took about 3 weeks to arrive in the UK.

Looks cute! Some super amazing dresses on that site! But... it's all really expensive. Especially since I'm in the US.

I don't know if I'd go for XL or 2X from sky310's store. XL seems to be about exactly my waist size, I think.... but maybe a little bigger is more likely to fit well? or more comfy? I... don't know... xD

HOWEVER.... from the other site tickles showed me... I love this dress so much! It's almost perfect!
http://www.my-lolita-dress.com/dream-of-lolita-organza-babydoll-style-sweet-lolita-op-dress-dl-271

but.... I don't know how to measure all the stuff! They want to know sooooo many different numbers and stuff... and I don't wanna mess up... I think I'd actually cry if it showed up and didn't fit right... :frown:

I also worry a little what the package might look like... but as long as I get it first, which is 99% guaranteed, with the exception of Saturday... it may be worth the risk.

Last edited:
ShippoFox said:
I don't know how to measure all the stuff! They want to know sooooo many different numbers and stuff... and I don't wanna mess up... I think I'd actually cry if it showed up and didn't fit right.
Yes, their measurements are confusing and a mistake can ruin the dress. They appear to have a good customer service awareness so why not email them and ask them specific questions about how to measure for a Custom Tailored Dress (They don't appear to have a measurement guide online.). Then you'll know exactly what the measurements mean.

The Lolita dress that you mentioned:

Dream Of Lolita2.jpg

is a high waist (empire waist/baby doll) dress with a lace hem that falls just at the knee and has full length lace trimmed sleeves. So you need to know exactly how "Ideal Dress Length" (Is that measured from the tip of the shoulder to the bottom of the lace hem?") and "Ideal Sleeve Length" (Is that measured from the shoulder to the end of the lace at the wrists?") are measured. Can it be customized to have half sleeves (to the elbow)? Also, they ask for "Bust" measurement but not "Chest" measurements, which is where the waistline on this dress would fall. If you're not wearing a bra, then this measurement probably doesn't matter because your bust and your chest measurement would be about the same.

P.S. you'll probably want to wear a petticoat with this dress. Which means more measuring and more cost. In my opinion, you'll want to wear a bell shape petticoat with this dress although the model appears to be wearing an A-line petticoat (and it's way too short)

Isn't it fun being a little girl even if it's only a fantasy?

Fun thread BTW.

Oh, crap... I dont have any petticoats. For some reason, I thought it'd be part of the dress, though i know that's usually not the case. Not good. And wow I wasn't being observant.... Thought it was short sleeve til you pointed that out (not a true problem though) . New problem.... How is it cleaned? It doesn't look like I can wash it in a sink. Definitely not a machine, which isn't an option. Dry cleaning is not an option. Still, with everything considered, I find this dress hard to resist! .

For anyone helping me out, I'm sorry for being so fussy and difficult about this. XD

can't edit, sorry... 5 days already

I am so worried and anxious that I'll mess something up. and I'm afraid to ask them about the measurements... I guess dunno how exactly to ask or phrase it? And....it's from China, so it's going to clearly say "Dress" on it because of customs... why am I worried about the mail carrier seeing the package? We've had the same woman deliver mail for like 20ish years... I guess that's why... but I don't really know her that well. Not sure why that worries me, and she probably wouldn't think much about it nor care... I think?

I realllly like this dress.... but I kinda wish the sleeves weren't so long. That might be too warm sometimes. And I guess I'm having second thoughts about it.... I dunno. My aunt could accidentally receive the package on a Saturday, which might be more embarrassing than a package of diapers possibly...I don't really know what to do. I'm not very decisive.... >.<

http://www.my-lolita-dress.com/measure-guide
would that be everything I need to know for measuring? except maybe for whether they can make it short sleeve or something...

uhmm.... one final try to see if anyone can help out...

A lot of the things on the sky310 store list chest size but not waist? How do i choose something that fits right?

Sky310's stuff doesn't require waist size, as the dress flares out from the chest. So, just measure the widest part of your chest (I use a string, then lay it flat on a ruler, since I don't have a measuring tape). I can say, whatever your regular shirt size is, it's slightly tighter than that. So I wear between a medium and a large men's, and my large sky310 dress is a little tight around the chest area (but I like it like that :p)

ShippoFox said:
New problem.... How is it cleaned? It doesn't look like I can wash it in a sink. Definitely not a machine, which isn't an option. Dry cleaning is not an option.

It says it's Organza but not what type of fabric. Organza can be silk, polyester and cotton organza. Ask them, it's most likely machine washable but I would hand wash it and drip dry it anyway.

ShippoFox said:
http://www.my-lolita-dress.com/measure-guide
would that be everything I need to know for measuring? except maybe for whether they can make it short sleeve or something...

Bust
Waist
Shoulder Width
Height
Ideal Dress Length - Hollow of your shoulder to knee
Ideal Sleeve Length -Shoulder to wrist (or elbow).

Also be aware that shipping & handling will run you $28.50 US

ShippoFox said:
it's from China, so it's going to clearly say "Dress" on it because of customs... why am I worried about the mail carrier seeing the package? We've had the same woman deliver mail for like 20ish years... I guess that's why... but I don't really know her that well. Not sure why that worries me, and she probably wouldn't think much about it nor care... I think? My aunt could accidentally receive the package on a Saturday, which might be more embarrassing than a package of diapers possibly.

That happened to me when I bought my first dress. The damn UPS guy left the package with my next-door neighbor. The box was clearly marked "dress". Although this was temporarily embarrassing, in the long term it's insignificant. Family finding it is much more problematic.

I completely forgot about the high shipping costs for stuff from other continents. (though I ordered a PS4 game from Play Asia, and it was only $5 shipping... I guess because that isn't as big.) I might go with the sky310 ebay store for now.... cheaper and easier. (unless anyone knows a US-based lolita store with sizes like XL and stuff? with affordable prices...)

OhHeyThere said:
Sky310's stuff doesn't require waist size, as the dress flares out from the chest. So, just measure the widest part of your chest (I use a string, then lay it flat on a ruler, since I don't have a measuring tape). I can say, whatever your regular shirt size is, it's slightly tighter than that. So I wear between a medium and a large men's, and my large sky310 dress is a little tight around the chest area (but I like it like that :p)

If I wear mostly large and XL shirts, what size should I get? 1X/XL or 2X?

ok i can give you this advice as a transwoman who had the hardest time finding dresses to fit her when i first came out. take your chest size and your wast and hip size. compare the 2 if they are close go with your chest (close being an inch or 2 if no go with the larger one is your looking for straight or the chest size if your looking for curve. size break down is not inches with women clothing but chances are you can easily find a conversion chart to help.

Ok, but should I go with exact size or add a few inches? Specifically, if it says "XL fits chest under 44", do I want to get that, or (Large) " fits chest under 40" for an exact fit? (I'm nervous and don't wanna get the wrong thing xD )

Important part of my post is over. Just ranting a bit now. I hate how expensive dresses can be. It's like being cute is for rich people! Especially most "sweet lolita" stuff. (With exceptions, but then yay shipping charges!) Also, American fashion kinda sucks... partly because there's a big lack of anything lolita sold in/from the USA. And then a lot of things are only in smaller sizes...
Yesss... I know... Supply and demand or whatever. But you'd think there'd still be more options.

There are tons of thrift stores around the area. So, that's a good idea, but I'd never really have the chance to try. I don't really go anywhere alone. (partially because I don't drive. partially because social anxiety.)

I want to order one this week. Should I go for exact fit or the next size up for extra inches in chest measurement?

ShippoFox said:
Ok, but should I go with exact size or add a few inches? Specifically, if it says "XL fits chest under 44", do I want to get that, or (Large) " fits chest under 40" for an exact fit? (I'm nervous and don't wanna get the wrong thing xD )

So, when it's saying that it fits up to __", that means it has an elastic band that goes up to that chest measurement. It's about half that measurement when it's completely unstretched... Roughly :p

- - - Updated - - -

It depends on how much room you want to allot yourself, especially if you want to add anything underneath (inserts, etc...)

Ok thank you, I think I should be ok. I finally ordered one two days ago. XD
I went with the one closer to my measurement, but it should still have some extra room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back