ThePaddedPuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Recently there has been an uproar in local residents regarding the Tykables store located in Mount Prospect, Illinois. Some of you may already know that in April, Tykables opened up a store in the Chicagoland area. Being a Chicago resident myself, I have visited this store and in no way shape or form could you tell what this store entailed from the outside. There are no visible signs on the storefront, you cannot see what is inside the store from any angle, and you cannot enter without ringing the doorbell. This store is also not a play space, you can buy their products and see their tradeshow displays, but signs on the furniture ask you not to play with them. Recently, the local residents of Mount Prospect learned that Tykables had been running their business and immediately began to demand that they be shut down. There has also been an uproar on social media regarding the stores location and intentions as well as many threats to protest and video tape customers entering and exiting in attempts to expose them. Locals gathered at Mount Prospect Village Hall Tuesday night to protest Tykables and demanded the village to close down their store. Local news has picked up the story and now there is much unwanted attention from vanillas who have been more than happy to verbally attack us on social media. The Village of Mount Prospect is holding a board meeting open to the public on July 7th to discuss topics regarding Tylables. What are your opinions on this situation?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/06/07/adult-baby-store-draws-protest-in-mount-prospect/

http://www.journal-topics.com/news/article_ef66867a-28f7-11e6-a53e-67cbf4f7395e.html

***UPDATE***
Saw this on TV today
http://wgntv.com/2016/06/08/mount-prospect-store-caters-to-adults-who-like-to-wear-diapers/

Last edited:
I think they wouldn't have any major objections really if they didn't declare one thing then seem to have contradicted themselves on a YouTube video they produced. Plus trying to seem a genuine buisness like this to normal Americans but appearing on your company YouTube in tshirt and diaper is a wee bit stupid in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I really wish the vanilla's would understand better, I hope tykables hangs in there.

1)It's rather ridiculous that people think that any business they don't agree with can be shut down, and 2)I'm glad as hell I don't live in Chicago so my parents didn't see this on the news, because I'd probably die.

Also, saying ''baby fetish'' was a really poor choice of words.

I think that they are rather terminally lacking in subtlety. This is NOT a business that is in anyway reliant on passing trade, so there is no reason whatsoever for it to be in a remotely customer-facing location. If they'd set up shop in a small unit on a light industrial estate, they might have been able to fly under the radar. And seriously, attempting to branch out into an AB nursery when they still haven't re-established themselves after the whole Huggies situation? Why?

It sounds like people only became upset after finding out that they supply products to ABDL's and that there were not previous complaints about the operation of the business.
I wonder if the business plan included that the location was to be also used as a showroom.

KimbaStarshine said:
1)It's rather ridiculous that people think that any business they don't agree with can be shut down, and 2)I'm glad as hell I don't live in Chicago so my parents didn't see this on the news, because I'd probably die.

Also, saying ''baby fetish'' was a really poor choice of words.

What about clan? He has to suffer this =p

Snivy said:
What about clan? He has to suffer this =p

He won't be sitting around eating dinner with his parents while the news is on, that's how it goes pretty much every night in my house.

It just pisses me off how people take one glance at something they don't understand and want it destroyed without putting a single ounce of thought into it. These days, any adult associated with anything childish immediately equals pedophile, or something else totally irrational.

It sounds like that town is full of douchenozzles. I hope Tykables stands firm, the people protesting are the problem in society. They're why we can't have nice things.

I have a million different opinions with this whole situation. What I really want to know is what is going to happen if they have this board meeting and tykables gets the okay to stay in their location, what will the aftermath be? Will vanillas still try and protest the store, will there still be threats to videotape customers to exploit them on social media? Could it be potentially a safety concern for those who visit this store?

ThePaddedPuppy said:
I have a million different opinions with this whole situation. What I really want to know is what is going to happen if they have this board meeting and tykables gets the okay to stay in their location, what will the aftermath be? Will vanillas still try and protest the store, will there still be threats to videotape customers to exploit them on social media? Could it be potentially a safety concern for those who visit this store?

oh I'm sure they will. They're not a bout to stop being terrible people because they didn't get their way, and it will undoubtedly be a safety risk. Unfortunately, in the end, it's probably for the best that they get their way for safety reasons.

But I don't want that to happen via the city government, on principal these townsfolk are the bullies here, and if it is to close it should be of its own volition, and not because the rabble had their way.

It's not fair! those vanillas need to more open minded, there should be a documentary made of adult babies but a proper one about for about an hour explaining the back story and the "motives" and wants of a adult baby, vanillas can ruin your life, "ooh, that's different, let's destroy it because I am scared of it and a group of people I don't even know about I think are pedophiles!" it's about time adult babies were put into a good light for once. But those vanillas are hard to please! .sigh.

ThePaddedPuppy said:

This is a complex topic. Let's assume for the sake of argument that Tykables has been accurate about their business plan and hasn't done anything wrong. What would people do in that circumstance? There are a lot of options to make a place hostile for a business including the options you listed such as protests or videotaping people. Think about, instead of Tykables, people upset at a major chain store putting a neighborhood shop out of business. Everybody knows what the chain store does, there's no reason that they can't do business, but people can still protest, hang out in front of the store with signs, and make their opinions known. The Tykables store is likely no different. If they want to stay there, they need to meet with the local residents not as a group, but individually and get to know them.

Also, generally speaking, there probably is a right to videotape from a public location, though videotaping with the purpose of harassing people on social media could be a violation of the law. It's not false, but it might be a tort called false light or possibly an invasion of privacy. Trying to videotape in the store without permission would definitely be an invasion of privacy. But honestly, yeah, if the place has people protesting and you try and go there anyway as a customer, it might very well be unsafe. Having legal recourse doesn't mean much if you're outed to friends and family or incorrectly labeled a pedophile.

Sorry to be negative on this, but this is an unusual case, since it's a business in a public place. People don't have to like that, and it's important for other reasons that people do have the option to protest businesses they don't like even though it's problematic here.

The one thing I'm not sure about though is whether the Illinois state constitution provides broader identity protections than the U.S. Constitution. While one can protest a business, something like taking action against a business because it's run by black people would be a huge civil rights problem, and if the Illinois Constitution is broad enough to read this as action against a store because of the (perfectly legal) sexual orientation of the owners and customers, they could have some extra options (like getting a whole bunch of money from the groups that are harassing them).

Oh for gods sake. MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUISNESS PEOPLE!!! Seriously, it ANGERS me when people take that "I'm grossed out by that, so I'm going to shut you down" attitude. NO!!! Don't like Tykables or ABDL, DON'T FUCKING GO INSIDE!!! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO JUST RANDOMLY WANDER INSIDE!!! THEY'RE NOT ADVERTISING IT PUBLICLY AND ANNOUNCING IT TO THE WHOLE WORLD FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS TO KNOW THAT ABDLS ARE INSIDE!!!!

Seriously, these people ANGER me as you can tell by how animated I am. I don't go around offended that people are doing private activities I'm not interested in in their own homes or own businesses and neither should you if you have anything better to do. You're just offended at the notion that ABDLs exist and that I can buy Tykables diapers. I can't stand these moral majority kinds of people who think that everyone has to live by their standards, their taste, and their morality, and this is something that goes WAY beyond just ABDL. Yes, the fact that I'm an ABDL and would visit the store if I lived in the area intensifies the anger, but even if I had no interest in ABDL, and didn't enjoy diapers, and never intended to set foot in the store, I'd still be pissed about this story simply because I just HATE the attitude of "This grosses me out. So I want to outlaw it". And worst of all, these hypocrites probably will later go on and complain about "I'm sick of the government telling me what to do!", and "I'm for small government!", and "I support small businesses owners and their freedom to run their stores however they see fit (unless I find their product to be weird, in which case, SHUT IT DOWN BIG GOVERNMENT!!! ABDLS WEIRD ME OUT!!! I DON'T GET WHY ADULTS WOULD WANT TO WEAR DIAPERS FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES!!! I'M OFFENDED BY YOUR EXISTENCE!!! THESE PEOPLE ARE EVIL AND SINNERS!!!)". I can't stand these people. :wallbash:

The problem is not just that most people find our interests creepy. To the ignorant, it would be very easy to assume that anyone using this "nursery" is sexually motivated - and they wouldn't be entirely wrong. From a certain point of view, Tykables is offering commercial sexual services. It can easily (though incorrectly) be seen as a sex shop. In a strip, on a main road, in a suburban area. There'd be plenty of people who'd object vociferously to that even without the AB element. And do even WE really believe that they don't intend to host any events there?

I make no excuses for the bigotry of the general population, but trying to pretend that it doesn't exist is wilful naïveté at best, downright disingenuous at worst. It almost seems as though Tykables are deliberately trying to be provocative. This is very odd behaviour for a business that is not exactly in the most stable of positions right now.

Last edited:
Wow, I was listening to WGN morning news and heard about this. Almost dropped my coffee. Poor John (one of the owners), must be hell to go through that. He did a great job representing our community though.

http://wgntv.com/?s=tykables

Ridiculous. Shouldn't the citizens of Chicago be more concerned with violence that has been happening on their streets lately, oh say, with guns, than a freaking diaper store? Wow, people's priorities, man. *sighs*

- - - Updated - - -

Gsmax said:
Oh for gods sake. MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUISNESS PEOPLE!!! Seriously, it ANGERS me when people take that "I'm grossed out by that, so I'm going to shut you down" attitude. NO!!! Don't like Tykables or ABDL, DON'T FUCKING GO INSIDE!!! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO JUST RANDOMLY WANDER INSIDE!!! THEY'RE NOT ADVERTISING IT PUBLICLY AND ANNOUNCING IT TO THE WHOLE WORLD FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS TO KNOW THAT ABDLS ARE INSIDE!!!!

Thank you! It is none of their damn business! Like I said, people should be more concerned with gun violence, the economy, job creation, ect. Not a fetish store that caters to diaper lovers like us. They really think they're better than us, just because they think they are mainstream and know what's best for us! How about stay out of our business and let us decide whether or not to be AB/DL. This is exactly why I hate people like Trump and people like these. Ignorance is not bliss, ignorance kills! This isn't 1956 anymore, people. It's 2016! Don't like this? Then get the hell out! These people are no better than the Bible thumping idiots that protest at Target, because they think transgender bathrooms are a sin against God. Just fuck me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Akastus said:
The problem is not just that most people find our interests creepy. To the ignorant, it would be very easy to assume that anyone using this "nursery" is sexually motivated - and they wouldn't be entirely wrong. From a certain point of view, Tykables is offering commercial sexual services. It can easily (though incorrectly) be seen as a sex shop. In a strip, on a main road, in a suburban area. There'd be plenty of people who'd object vociferously to that even without the AB element. And do even WE really believe that they don't intend to host any events there?

I make no excuses for the bigotry of the general population, but trying to pretend that it doesn't exist is wilful naïveté at best, downright disingenuous at worst. It almost seems as though Tykables are deliberately trying to be provocative. This is very odd behaviour for a business that is not exactly in the most stable of positions right now.

Honestly I don't really get what the big deal about location is. It seems like it's only a problem when people make it a problem. Where I live, there's a strip club right off the main road of a local town. I've seen a sex shop on a main street in a suburb of a major city. Hell, even Spencer's, a gift/novelty shop common in American malls, sells sexual items. I'd be a little more sympathetic if it was say, right next to a school or something, but it seems to me that the people who complain about a sex shop coming to their neighborhood are those with old-fashioned, close-minded views about sexual activity who can't accept that sex can be more than just plain vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back