initial care of new cloth diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straycatz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I recently purchased cloth diapers from baby pants. After years of only using disposables I thought I would give these a try for something different. My question is, what is the best method to wash/dry these initially in the washer/dryer? Is line drying better than a dryer, at least at first? I have the birdseye cotton pre-fold.

Thanks!

Yes, you'll want to wash them first. I use the regular cotton setting on the washing machine. Never use bleach or fabric softener on them. Bleach will ruin them and fabric softener clogs the pores. They'll take quite a bit of dryer time. Line drying them outside is even better because the sun will naturally bleach them without harming the fabric.

I use Arm & Hammer detergent with oxi clean. It works well and the smell is nice, sort of nursery smelling.

It's also the best to wash them 2 to 3 times before use. This gets the natural oils out of the cotton material. That will help
them get to full absorbency. I agree with what Dogboy said. Hope you enjoy them. I've been using mine now 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back