Art exploring identity issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozbub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I was watching an arts program today that was exploring artists who address confronting issues such as identity and diversity in society, commenting on aspects which are viewed by society as somewhat perverse or peculiar. It came as no surprise that photographer Polly Borland would be featured, some of her work of course an exposé on adult babies from quite some time ago. The program also featured a current play based on the life of Quentin Crisp.

This got me thinking a lot about my work as an artist. Identity has been a strong conceptual concern in my work, and in particular the struggles I've faced coming to terms with being abdl. But all this has been very well disguised within the work...naturally I can identify it, but it would take a super sleuth to find it otherwise.

The thing is, where do artists etc find the courage to make direct reference to the things they struggle personally with. Part of me wants to take a strong stance on the unfair discriminatory judgements of a world that reviles difference....but then also I fear the possible professional suicide that could result from exposing my particular differences. I don't want to finish my artistic career before it begins.

Just thinking out loud I guess...but if you have an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

I don't think artists (in this respect) are any different than other people.

Where does a (any person) get the courage to (do anything) that exposes them to ridicule? Gays coming out of the closet, AB doing TV shows, Standing up to racial discrimination, etc.

As an introvert and a person that does not like to stand out in a crowd in any way - I find it very hard to understand how any one could do this. I am grateful that there are people who will do these things so the rest of rest can live better.

This may work for famous artists who have made a lot of money, and who have a loyal following like Sir Elton John. They can say almost anything they want as long as it's not offensive, but for the rest of us, we have to be careful. I'm a church musician so I keep most of who I am, well hidden. I love my job and my wife and I have made a number of friends in the church, so I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize that relationship. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but sometimes I'm saddened that I can't share certain things about my past.

Everyone has a past and they'll discuss certain things, but most of mine stays buried, which isn't always healthy, but I find that it's necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back