Do any of you ever feel this type of guilt when buying baby nappies/diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Do any of you ever feel this type of guilt when buying baby nappies/diapers?
I don't know why, I've done it numerous times before but nearly every time I try to buy pullups or drynites (goodnites) I get this type of guilt. That I shouldn't buy drynites (goodnites) or any baby nappies like pull ups because an actual child could use it instead of being wasted by me. I don't know why but I feel like by me buying them I am somehow depriving a child of them who needs them not like me who just wants them. This guilt is definitely more prominent when a young mum is in the isle with me or with children. Anyone else experience anything like this before?

Trust me, there are billions upon billions of diapers being made by diaper companies all over the world and it's not as if babies, toddlers, children or adults who need them won't be able to buy more. There's no shortage of diapers.

I thought the same thing yesterday when I was buying a baby bottle and a 2 pack of pacifiers

Even when I was in my guilty and self-loathing phase, this wasn't part of it. There's no scarcity of diapers and me buying them never, ever deprived a child. There are children who lack things but to fixate on diapers just because I wanted them and had the means to pay for them is ridiculous.

I have thought this before when buying Drynites. I noticed that the shelf was pretty empty and I picked up the last 2 packets on the shelf. I thought to myself "some poor little kids gonna have to go without these tonight and is gonna wind up with soaked sheets. I still picked them up and then realised a member of the supermarkets staff was restocking just up the aisle so I felt less guilty. :eek:

Economics does not work that way. Increased demand for a product bids up the price, thus allowing producers to make supernormal profits, which attracts new entrants to the market, or induces existing manufacturers to increase production, which increases supply, which forces the price down again. In practise, free markets are so efficient, and market intelligence agencies so attentive, that supply expands to meet demand without the price changing at all. In fact, increased demand may actually lead to lower prices, as increased production may well benefit from economies of scale and scope. So you could argue that by buying products used by children, you are actually helping them!

Equally, supermarket logistics chains are very efficient, so there's not much chance of them running out of a product unless it is either brand new, or suddenly extremely popular. Not much chance of that with nappies.

Last edited:
jAMIEISAWESOME said:
I have thought this before when buying Drynites. I noticed that the shelf was pretty empty and I picked up the last 2 packets on the shelf. I thought to myself "some poor little kids gonna have to go without these tonight and is gonna wind up with soaked sheets. I still picked them up and then realised a member of the supermarkets staff was restocking just up the aisle so I felt less guilty. :eek:

Even if it was the last one there'll be other shops around that would carry the product

I feel guilt all the time .... because I don't neeeeed the diapers and that money could go to many other things. Also that the disposables end up in the landfill and back for the environment (never have found an cloth I like that work).

Any ABDL items are like that - bought land before time, a movie I have always loved and started crying halfway through because I wasted $5 on it when I'm already having money issues and might have to stop working full time and thus not sure if I will be able to keep my house. I will enjoy it over and over and it was $5!! Come on why is it hitting me so hard?

Every diaper I change I have the same feelings

CookieMonstah said:
Even if it was the last one there'll be other shops around that would carry the product

Quite true I actually thought about that just after I posted this thread and that definitely is now stopping from that type of guilt returning. Especially when I literally just bought the last pack of girls 8-15 drynites today because they were on special and reminding myself that there are 2 other woolworths they could buy them from or online from woolworths which is always in stock kind of erases any guilt I had.

HuggiesGuy said:
Quite true I actually thought about that just after I posted this thread and that definitely is now stopping from that type of guilt returning. Especially when I literally just bought the last pack of girls 8-15 drynites today because they were on special and reminding myself that there are 2 other woolworths they could buy them from or online from woolworths which is always in stock kind of erases any guilt I had.

WOOLWORTHS?! I thought they all shutdown and it's online only now, haven't seen a Woolworths in years

If we should feel guilty, it would be because disposable diapers pile up in the landfill, and cloth diapers use water to wash and put more detergent into the water table. As for my being able to afford diapers when others may not, I can afford them because for most of my life, I've worked one full time job and two part time jobs. I was always tired, but we could pay the bills. My wife also worked.

That I shouldn't buy drynites (goodnites) or any baby nappies like pull ups because an actual child could use it instead of being wasted by me.

Why is an AB using a diaper any less valuable than an infant using one? It's not like either is being done without any benefit. If anything an AB gets more value out of a diaper than an infant/its parents, because some ABs are willing to pay a lot for a single diaper. People do all sorts of activities that use resources in order to have enjoyment, peace, relaxation, etc. These are legitimate uses for things. I don't see any human activity as illegitimate or a waste, since I see everyone as trying to better their lives.

Prairie said:
Why is an AB using a diaper any less valuable than an infant using one? It's not like either is being done without any benefit. If anything an AB gets more value out of a diaper than an infant/its parents, because some ABs are willing to pay a lot for a single diaper. People do all sorts of activities that use resources in order to have enjoyment, peace, relaxation, etc. These are legitimate uses for things. I don't see any human activity as illegitimate or a waste, since I see everyone as trying to better their lives.

I suppose that's fair as well, as long as there's no real scarcity. Goodness knows, I enjoy my diapers a lot more than a baby!

I for one think there should be no guilt associated with this in the manner suggested.

The fact that AB/DLs purchase diapers does not make it unavailable for children. Rather, it provides an increased demand for diapers and causes companies to increase production, which means more jobs, more dollars into the economy. It is providing a valuable source of revenue generator that otherwise would not exist. I would argue that most adult babies often purchase adult sized diapers, not children sizes. Hence, this is quite a bit different market.

CookieMonstah said:
WOOLWORTHS?! I thought they all shutdown and it's online only now, haven't seen a Woolworths in years

haha in Australia Woolworths is every where! I have three just in my city I live in which isn't very big. There are 961 Woolworths stores in Australia and we have a different Woolworths to the US, our Woolworths is like the US's safeway grocery stores chain to give it some perspective.

HuggiesGuy said:
haha in Australia Woolworths is every where! I have three just in my city I live in which isn't very big. There are 961 Woolworths stores in Australia and we have a different Woolworths to the US, our Woolworths is like the US's safeway grocery stores chain to give it some perspective.
Woolworths for us in the UK were just cheap discount stores whcih sold everything from pick and mix sweets to wallpaper and home decor. The one in my town is still a discount store just under a different name

HuggiesGuy said:

Oh I didn't realise you live in Australia, I should have done, seeing that your nickname is HuggiesGuy and Huggies aren't sold in the UK anymore unless you go to a Costco but they're not common in the UK.

As for landfills, diapers eventually do break down and companies like Pampers are making diapers thin to help with the process.

There was one time I bought a pack of Pampers Cruisers Size 7. It was the only one in that store. In the days and weeks that followed, I realised that size 7 was being phased out. To rub salt in the wound, I was going through a purge cycle and threw away more than half of the pack. It was a very sore thing for me to do, because I'm very sure that parents and ABDLs alike would have appreciated buying and using them. It really made me uncomfortable to realise that I had denyed a child that extra month's diaper.

That is one of the reasons why I now stick to diapers that are made for adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back