Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help figuring out my psyche.

Question Need help figuring out my psyche.

So there's been something that I can't really figure out. For maybe five years I've had a hiccup psychologically. Well I really like studying psychology and the human anatomy interests me too. However, when I think about the brain and genitals (usually in deeper detail) I get really dizzy and get to the point where I feel like I'll throw up.

It was my freshman year in college, I was alone in my dorm and I was just thinking on some things, which somehow lead to the human brain. I was beginning to think about how the brain functions and behaviors. Though the more I thought about it, I got really dizzy and my legs began shaking, then I felt like throwing up. And the effects stayed for about ten minutes. Things like this have happened a few times but I usually don't think about it too much to avoid feeling sick.

The most recent one was a few months ago, I was trying to learn more about the body and was interested in what the body underwent during sex. I knew the basics of it but wanted to learn more about it. I came across an article that talked about it, and was really detailed. Still, the more I read the sicker I got. Vision blurs etc. Though what's weird is that the idea of it doesn't bother me, but I can't seem to handle reading stuff like that. This also happened during a sex ed segment in a high school class where they showed genitals, diseases, and procedures for removal of some diseases, which I had that same feeling during the disease part of it. But for that topic I didn't think much of why I got sick during it.

I've done research on them on my own. For the brain, I like studying it, but I don't at the same time. It can make me uneasy and leads to all that mess, but I want to keep reading. I also really don't like seeing any brain images. So I always get nervous there'd be a picture of one, and if there is I usually try to hide it with my hand on the screen :p. When I've researched it, I haven't really found a site that actually talks about feeling nauseous for thinking on the human brain.

As for genitals/ anatomy thing, I've heard of people being sick by the thought of sex or genitals, but I also don't like the heart or feeling my heart beat and especially hearing it. I don't get sick like I do with the others (or at least I haven't studied it to the depth I have with the other two), but with that many parts that make me ill, I don't think it's related to my sexuality.

I don't think this is something to bother a doctor about, but it would be nice to have an answer for this stuff. It just feels like these things shouldn't bother me as much as they do, especially since I'm just reading or thinking on them. Any thoughts or answers would be greatly appreciated!

(Sorry for the wall of text ^^')
    Last edited by Baxton; 26-May-2016 at 08:33.

How do you react to videos or stories of injuries or operations? I don't suppose it makes that much difference, I was just curious as to how specific it was. Although it might not be worth running to a doctor, I don't see anything wrong with mentioning it the next time you were in.

About the only other thing that springs to mind is seeing if you could successfully desensitize yourself to such things. If you haven't already, look into information like this: https://www.verywell.com/systematic-...zation-2584317

Actually, I do think it's something to bother a doctor about. It's not an emergency or anything, but it's unusual and I think a doctor would be able to help you better than any of us can.

Also, I, ugh I hate being uncomfortable here, but is there any possibility that you might have some repressed trauma? Because if there's something about thoughts of sexual organs as a trigger for you and your body is making you basically black out to avoid it, then fixing this problem could be painful and you should do it carefully and under medical supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    How do you react to videos or stories of injuries or operations? I don't suppose it makes that much difference, I was just curious as to how specific it was. Although it might not be worth running to a doctor, I don't see anything wrong with mentioning it the next time you were in.

About the only other thing that springs to mind is seeing if you could successfully desensitize yourself to such things. If you haven't already, look into information like this: https://www.verywell.com/systematic-...zation-2584317
    Gore in movies and video games don't really bother me that much. In surgeries for movies or documentaries I don't mind any kind of body operation besides operations that deal with the head/ brain, I'll pretty much turn away at those.

I hadn't known about desensitizing before. I'll look more into it, seems like it could help reduce the effects. Thank you for the link

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Actually, I do think it's something to bother a doctor about. It's not an emergency or anything, but it's unusual and I think a doctor would be able to help you better than any of us can.

Also, I, ugh I hate being uncomfortable here, but is there any possibility that you might have some repressed trauma? Because if there's something about thoughts of sexual organs as a trigger for you and your body is making you basically black out to avoid it, then fixing this problem could be painful and you should do it carefully and under medical supervision.
    I'll try to bring it up my next check up, though I'm not quite sure when I have that set up.

As far as I'm aware I don't think I was traumatized by anything. But as a kid I was pretty sheltered from all that stuff and didn't really know what sex was until 6th or 7th grade.

I kind of know how you feel. Detailed descriptions of operations for me cause some nasty nauseating feelings with near fainting sensations. Course I now have a nervous twitch that causes my head and left arm to quickly spazz out.

Quote Originally Posted by silentdreamer1996 View Post
    I kind of know how you feel. Detailed descriptions of operations for me cause some nasty nauseating feelings with near fainting sensations. Course I now have a nervous twitch that causes my head and left arm to quickly spazz out.
    Thank you for sharing, it means a lot knowing someone can relate.

My Uncle Dave, doctor David C Tudor would take his class of future veterinarians to a slaughter house and watch cows get stripped of their hides and then cut up. If anyone fainted, they failed. He was head of the Agricultural department at Rutgers U. and one of the foremost veterinarians in the United States. The morale here is, the more you see these things which make you uncomfortable, the less impact they have on you.

The only thing that would concern me are the things ArchieRoni hinted at. I wonder if you associate brain function with mortality. We like to think that our soul is the part that does our thinking and encompasses our being, yet we know that the brain both thinks and understands the nature of "being". I would suggest that both can exist simultaneously.

Anyway, if you want to be a psychiatrist or psychologist, you'll have to find away around talking about brain function and genitals. The more you do it, the easier it gets. I've done wound care on my wife's diabetic feet, at one point, cleaning exposed bone with a cue tip and sterile saline. The first time I was freaked, but I never told my wife. With repetition it became a normal function. Being somewhat OCD, I hate feet, yet I take care of her remaining foot every morning. Repetition has made it a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    My Uncle Dave, doctor David C Tudor would take his class of future veterinarians to a slaughter house and watch cows get stripped of their hides and then cut up. If anyone fainted, they failed. He was head of the Agricultural department at Rutgers U. and one of the foremost veterinarians in the United States. The morale here is, the more you see these things which make you uncomfortable, the less impact they have on you.

The only thing that would concern me are the things ArchieRoni hinted at. I wonder if you associate brain function with mortality. We like to think that our soul is the part that does our thinking and encompasses our being, yet we know that the brain both thinks and understands the nature of "being". I would suggest that both can exist simultaneously.

Anyway, if you want to be a psychiatrist or psychologist, you'll have to find away around talking about brain function and genitals. The more you do it, the easier it gets. I've done wound care on my wife's diabetic feet, at one point, cleaning exposed bone with a cue tip and sterile saline. The first time I was freaked, but I never told my wife. With repetition it became a normal function. Being somewhat OCD, I hate feet, yet I take care of her remaining foot every morning. Repetition has made it a lot easier.
    Thank you for the advice! I'll try facing it. It's not doing me much good avoiding it. I'll do some more reading more often, see if I can shake it off.

Possibly. The two sometimes cross in thoughts. I'd like to think that mortality doesn't bother me, but there could be a subconscious fear of it.

A psychiatrist was a career I wanted to pursue, though I decided on a different route. Now it's a hobby, although I'll be taking a psychology class this coming semester (which is why this came to mind).

You said it made it a lot easier. Did those feelings of hating feet go away?
    Last edited by Baxton; 27-May-2016 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxton View Post
    You said it made it a lot easier. Did those feelings of hating feet go away?
    Yes, at least where my wife is concerned. Sometimes in our church, a minister will want to do the "washing of the feet" as part of a Lenten or Ash Wednesday service. Every time I've told the minister I will not participate. I find it an invasion of privacy and personal space. You'd think that would be obvious. At least or present minister has never mentioned it. But yes, I don't mine working on my wife's remaining foot. She had her other leg amputated below the knee a couple of years ago. There's a lot I've had to learn to accept. It can be done.

Good luck to you with your studies. Our daughter started out as a psych major, but switched over to English for her Masters degree. Now she's the director for Innovation Space at Virginia Tech University. You never know where your degree will lead you.

MarchinBunny

I actually have a very similar problem. Except it goes for pretty much everything other than maybe movies. I have found, it has gotten worse as I got older. I can't even give blood because I would pass out. I tried once ... they wouldn't do it because I turned white as a ghost, started shaking, difficulty breathing and my vision became blurry even before I started. XD I can even get this way simply by going into a hospital or doctors office. I can feel sick by looking stuff up on the internet similar like you, or thinking about how human bodies work and brains and such.

I have even had dreams of some weird ass shit that would make me feel sick. The kicker is, it also makes me feel sick to feel sick if that makes any sense. I have like a phobia of getting sick to my stomach, or anyone getting sick to their stomach for that matter. Even them telling me they are can get me feeling sick.

Honestly ... I think it's just a panic attack. At least that is what it sounds like to me.

Edit: Oh also the feeling of hunger or gas can make me feel pretty sick too. Anything that makes my stomach feel funny. I usually need to take deep breaths a little sips of water and try to calm myself down.