New survey - social life of ABDLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon777

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Please take my survey!

Since every single peer reviewed article pertaining to ABDLs has explored the phenomena from a psychological perspective, I have decided to do something different and do survey research from a sociological standpoint. Assuming I collect enough data, I would like to turn the responses into an article to submit for publication in a peer reviewed journal. IP tracking is turned off so everyone stays anonymous. Instant results have been turned on, so after you take the survey you can see how other people before you responded. There are only 10 questions. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised by the lack of involvement in a faith communities. I would expect about the same ratios as the general population.

It's too long.

This survey is flawed, it did not record my age as entered.

Moonshot said:
This survey is flawed, it did not record my age as entered.

Same here. I wonder why? Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

anon777 said:
Please take my survey and help to advance the presence of ABDL in peer reviewed academic literature!

Since every single peer reviewed article pertaining to ABDLs has explored the phenomena from a psychological perspective, I have decided to do something different and do survey research from a sociological standpoint. Assuming I collect enough data, I would like to turn the responses into an article to submit for publication in a peer reviewed journal. IP tracking is turned off so everyone stays anonymous. Instant results have been turned on, so after you take the survey you can see how other people before you responded. There are only 10 questions. Thanks for your help!

No offense intended, but your post actually comes across as somewhat deceptive. If you're involved with an academic institution, you should disclose that. Moreover, your survey does not have a privacy statement, and while you state in your post that IP tracking is off, I'm not able to identify that anywhere in the survey (and again your lack of privacy statement with the survey means I have no reassurance that you're telling the truth and no recourse if you're lying). I'm concerned that this isn't an ethical way to collect data and I'd ask you to provide more information in line with other recent academic studies that have been brought up on this board.

I use Puffin Incognito mode so the IP couldn't be tracked. So no worries for me there.

I certainly enjoyed it. I am intrigued by the results of the survey.

the poll made me think of all the fun I'm missing! I don't do most of the activities mentioned!

Maxx said:
I believe surveymonkey is a legit vehicle, but that doesn't say anything either way about the person or persons creating the survey. I'm staying away.

To clarify on this, surveymonkey is a legit survey site, but it has a variety of options. Without some kind of statement accompanying the survey explaining information such as who the surveyor is, how our data will be protected or anonymized, or what sorts of options are selected within surveymonkey to protect participants, we have no way of knowing what's being done here.

As a comparison, the UC Davis one that came here recently did several things
1) It used a custom UC Davis qualtrics URL (essentially, the university's specific domain on a large commercial survey site)
2) It had a confidentiality statement that read
All data obtained from participants will be kept confidential and will only be reported in aggregate format (by reporting only combined results and never reporting individual ones). All questionnaires will be concealed and no one other than the primary investigator and assistant researchers listed below will have access to them. The data collected will be stored on a Qualtrics-secure database until it has been deleted by the primary investigator.
3) It also had a bolded statement that no computer info such as IP would be stored and it wouldn't ask for personally identifiable information.
4) It had identity and contact info for the surveyor. That's not strictly required, but it helps.

Thank you to those who brought up their ethical concerns regarding this survey.

Under federal law, investigators who receive federal funding for human subjects research or who are affiliated with institutions receiving such funding are required to document compliance with a number of ethical standards. Compliance is usually documented by requiring participants to review a disclosure page prior to beginning a survey, which many of you saw with the UC Davis survey. I am not receiving any funding for this survey, nor do I have any affiliations with an academic institution covered by these regulations under 21 CFR 56.102 (the applicable federal law).

The APA (American Psychological Association) has established ethical guidelines for the conduct of research which were followed in the construction and dissemination of this survey. Specific elements of these guidelines and how they were followed include:
* Prohibition against disclosing confidential, personally identifiable information regarding research participants - This survey did not request any personally identifiable information. I did mention that IP tracking has been disabled, which is an option with surveymonkey. I'm not sure of how to provide independent verification of this if you don't believe the statement, but one individual in this thread did state that they had turned on incognitio mode on their browser to give them additional peace of mind.
* Informed consent - APA ethics code section 8.05 states that "Psychologists may dispense with informed consent only where research would not reasonably be assumed to create distress or harm and involves...only anonymous questionnaire...for which disclosure of responses would not place participants at risk of criminal or civil liability or damage their financial standing, employability or reputation, and confidentiality is protected". The lack of a formal informed consent statement is in line with this exemption. No personally identifiable information is being collected and IP tracking was turned off.

If anyone has any further questions, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
anon777 said:
I am not receiving any funding for this survey, nor do I have any affiliations with an academic institution covered by these regulations under 21 CFR 56.102 (the applicable federal law).

In light of this, I think it's a bit dishonest to claim that this survey would "help to advance the presence of ABDL in peer reviewed academic literature." I doubt any academic journal would accept the results of a survey that did not contain a disclosure page.

It's hard to get published in an academic journal without an institutional affiliation. If your study hasn't followed the human subjects protections that are required at universities, no reputable journal will even consider it.

If you want to do an amateur survey, go ahead, but please make clear that this is what you are doing.

oops

i probably should have kept reading down the thread before responding to the survey thing. oh well done now.

Survey link deleted and thread closed.

You must get written permission in advance before posting any more survey links of any kind.

You claim that you are following APA guidelines, but your survey is not associated with any reputable institution, there is no contact info, no privacy page. Even your name is "anon". Your setup does not encourage the assumption of good faith on the part of survey respondents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back