Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AB/DLs in College/University

Default AB/DLs in College/University

I feel like I never see any threads on here about members of the AB/DL community currently in college.

Are any of you still in college/university? If so, what are you studying, why? Did you just recently graduate, and if so, how was it and what do you plan to do now?

I personally just finished up my third year and I am super pumped for the summer (even if that does mean working a lot).

After attending the school of life and majoring in Aerospace Propulsion for 14 years in the United States Air Force with a minor in Aircraft Maintenance Technology and earning my Airframe and Powerplant License, I transferred to COCC for an Associates in Engineering (almost there). Then I will transfer to OSU for Civil Engineering. I study the maths, sciences, and mechanicals because they make much more sense to me than any of the liberal arts. I am just happy that I only had to take three classes that were not math/science related.
    Last edited by Llayden; 16-May-2016 at 05:29.

Finished up my third year as well. I'm majoring in Digital Media. It's a very broad major but I'm using it to learn 3D Modeling in Maya and additional things in Photoshop. With it I'm planning to work in the video game industry or movies.

Been working on a game idea for awhile now and I'm trying to get the idea off the ground and begin its development.

I'm majoring in English, and I just finished my second year and moved back home for the summer (Which is great because my roommate almost never left the room, never had time to put a diaper on). Anyway, I want to be a story writer and like Baxton I want to work in the video game industry.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungYoshi View Post
    I'm majoring in English, and I just finished my second year and moved back home for the summer (Which is great because my roommate almost never left the room, never had time to put a diaper on). Anyway, I want to be a story writer and like Baxton I want to work in the video game industry.
    Awesome! Always happy to meet someone shooting for the same field. Do you have a particular company in mind you'd want to work for?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxton View Post
    Awesome! Always happy to meet someone shooting for the same field. Do you have a particular company in mind you'd want to work for?
    Oh, that's a tough question. If I had to narrow it down, my top 3 choices would be Bungie, Bethesda, and 343 Industries.

Currently a senior in college studying computer science, considering going after a master's but I'm not quite there yet.

Taking a summer course this year because it's a requirement at my university if I opted out of living in the dorms.

Also had intentions of going into the game industry, however; I might just settle for a job in firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungYoshi View Post
    Oh, that's a tough question. If I had to narrow it down, my top 3 choices would be Bungie, Bethesda, and 343 Industries.
    Oh nice! Those are some awesome companies for sure. My main goal is to work for Insomniac, but other than that I don't really know. ^^

Probably should begin looking at other places, maybe Ubisoft and Naughty Dog would be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatroz View Post
    Currently a senior in college studying computer science, considering going after a master's but I'm not quite there yet.

Taking a summer course this year because it's a requirement at my university if I opted out of living in the dorms.

Also had intentions of going into the game industry, however; I might just settle for a job in firmware.
    Computer Science always sounds like a solid major. Feels like there's always someone looking for a programmer. Which language do you like the best to code in? I was going to go into CS but I quickly learned I wasn't that good at it :p

Quote Originally Posted by Baxton View Post

Computer Science always sounds like a solid major. Feels like there's always someone looking for a programmer. Which language do you like the best to code in? I was going to go into CS but I quickly learned I wasn't that good at it :p
    There's certainly always something to do, which is pretty exciting! At the moment I'm most comfortable with c++ just for the reason that my university drilled that language into me.

As for not being too good at it, I wasn't too good when I started out either, I struggled quite the bit early on in my Visual Basic class in high school, but after seeing something once you just kinda start picking up on methods and it becomes that much easier with some experience.
    So, if you're still interested there is plenty of content out there which can help guide you along the way, all you need to do is ask ^^

I'm soon finished with the fourth and final year in animation, though I'll have to practice with CG and experiment more with animation before I try getting work in the field.