Any advice for getting comfortable with full use of a diaper....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortsub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
i am a urine incontinent man, who is struggling with the fact that a diaper is the best way to go... yet, I know once i start using 24/7 i might as well give into full use.

any advice?

Like what kinda advice via hiding or absorbacy

Hiding is a good start.... lets face it... the smell is troublesome

shortsub said:
i am a urine incontinent man, who is struggling with the fact that a diaper is the best way to go... yet, I know once i start using 24/7 i might as well give into full use.

any advice?

Not generally advised, but it is possible....a regular body schedule is helpful. It you are a morning person, the use, disposal, and shower cleanup is pretty easy.
If you become irregular, it can be a real problem. I once noticed that the more you allow full use, the more difficult it becomes to hold the rear.
It is best when you don't push, way more natural. Cleanup immediately is essential for smell and skin health. Shower is best. Wipes work great. Best to heavy trim or shave groin area.
Gallon ziplock freezer bags are best for aroma containment; and a box of matches or air freshener.

Epilating is a great solution for hair removal with no stubble. That is what my husband and I do. He prefers it to shaving since he always feels clean and smoothe.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

I was recently advised to start with a certain 8 hour section of your day and move forward once that period of time is comfortable.

I never mess but hardly ever use anything but my nappy for pee.

shortsub said:
Hiding is a good start.... lets face it... the smell is troublesome

Plastic pants hide smell well, the high back/ high waist are the best type.

Drinking more water and taking Nullo keeps the smell down. I use generic chlorophyll copperphyllin.

I'm not sure what types of incontinence you have, bit I do know some people with urge incontinence rather give in due to the struggle of finding a restroom in time. Sometimes the severe urge hits when it's already too late. Then people rather full incontinence just because of the hassle and the strain.

You don't have to have bowel movements, unless you want to. I rarely do it because of the clean up and smell. If you buy diapers with taping panels, they ate the best for taking off and going and reapplying.

Shortsub,

I am double incontinent and wear 24/7, disposables during the day and cloth at night.

You may find my white paper Introduction to the Selection and Wear of Adult Diapers to be very helpful. It contains what I wish I had known when I first became incontinent.
http://www.incontinentsupport.org/Introduction_to_Wearing_Diapers.pdf

Best wishes,
--John

I don't choose to use my nappy for poop, but increasingly the choice isn't mine to make. I use diapers that can cope and while I will use a toilet if I can, I don't make heroic efforts any more because they usually end in failure anyway. I do find that using what control I have to slow down the evacuation leads to a much more manageable situation. It's the sudden complete bowel emptyings without warning I most fear.

Well my experience may not be something which can be used as a general rule of thumb - however after I became incontinent (Accepted that I was incontinent) and have to resort to using diapers for handling my incontinence. I slowly started going in my diaper more and more simply because it was easier and due to the fact, that my diapers would be wet anyway regardless of me trying to do otherwise - a diaper can only keep odor down for max 8 hours, then it's done, and even if I tried to battle my incontinence I still have to change my diaper after a period, regardless of it being half used or total used. So I gave in and started using my diaper more and more, and actually realized that I was a lot more calm and relaxed about the fact that as a man in his start forties I'm back in diapers for good.
However over time my bowel movements have gone from once a day to two to three times a day, first one in the morning is regular however I have found that whenever I get something to eat, I'll have a bowel movement shortly afterwards - and then I have to rush otherwise I'll soil myself....

Note I have been 24/7 for two years approx I don't try to hold my pee anymore but let it happen when my bladder want's to.

So maybe 24/7 diaper use even only for pee, will eventually lead to fecal trouble also?

Hmm I've been wearing for 10 years now and I'm a lot more relaxed than what I used to be and in the 10 years I've definitely become nappy reliant and I'm 28

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NotTheAverageMan said:
Well my experience may not be something which can be used as a general rule of thumb - however after I became incontinent (Accepted that I was incontinent) and have to resort to using diapers for handling my incontinence. I slowly started going in my diaper more and more simply because it was easier and due to the fact, that my diapers would be wet anyway regardless of me trying to do otherwise - a diaper can only keep odor down for max 8 hours, then it's done, and even if I tried to battle my incontinence I still have to change my diaper after a period, regardless of it being half used or total used. So I gave in and started using my diaper more and more, and actually realized that I was a lot more calm and relaxed about the fact that as a man in his start forties I'm back in diapers for good.
However over time my bowel movements have gone from once a day to two to three times a day, first one in the morning is regular however I have found that whenever I get something to eat, I'll have a bowel movement shortly afterwards - and then I have to rush otherwise I'll soil myself....

Note I have been 24/7 for two years approx I don't try to hold my pee anymore but let it happen when my bladder want's to.

So maybe 24/7 diaper use even only for pee, will eventually lead to fecal trouble also?

[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

NotTheAverageMan said:

Well said. After I accepted that diapers weren't going away, I became more comfortable using them. I am way more relaxed about them now.

For me it simply took time. I have been in diapers for 29 years and I hardly give it a thought now.

Put on a diaper then spend a day you have nothing else to do around the house, figure how long it will hold, if you need a more absorbent one, make sure its easy enough to get back on and off for when you have to go #2, you may also want to try a pullup too depending on your level of leakage as that would make it easier to get to the bathroom for the other thing, you may also want to consider some pads or stuffers if you go pullups and swap them out periodically.

As far as getting use to it, try not to think about it, set timers on your watch or phone to alert you to times to change based on averages of how long the diaper holds.

To be comfortable in diapers you have to wear something you know you can trust in any situation. Then you can wet at will and you know you are protected from accidents.

Just struck me, you said you only are urinary incontinent, why deal with the hassle of using for #2? There are options to explore like some better pullups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back