Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Star Trek is better than Star Wars

Default Why Star Trek is better than Star Wars

So here we are in 2016 and it's shaping up to be a great year for both these franchises. Star wars: The Force Awakens made a ton of money, while Star Trek celebrates its fiftieth anniversary this year with Star Trek Beyond hitting the movies theatres on July 22nd. Yay!

Both franchises have been successful in rebooting their respective series (I'm ignoring the dismal Star Wars prequel here!) and I'm looking forward to some really good movies for years to come.

I thought this would be a good time to start a debate over which series is better: Star Trek or Star Wars. (I'm probably just being a bitter person because I fully expect that The Force Awakens will gross more money than Star Trek Beyond and I don't think it's fair).So set your phasers on stun, raise your light sabres high, let the battle begin. As you have probably clued in by now, I think Star Trek wins hands down over Star Wars for a number of reasons which I'll outline below.

No Jar Jar Binks!
    This pretty much speaks for itself. Binks was probably the most annoying, despicable creature in the history of sci fi cinema. And although he takes the top prize for sheer stupidity, Lucas created other annoying characters as well, such as cute, cuddly Ewoks (obviously designed for marketing merchandise) not to mention dull characters ridden with cliché scripts.

Time Travel
    Star Trek had some of the most ingenious and innovative stories based on time travel. "City on the Edge of Forever" was one of its best stories with Kirk going back in time and falling in love, then having to let her die to restore the timeline. "The Voyage Home" had the crew going back in time to save the whales and avoid destruction in the future." Yesterday's Enterprise brought back the deceased Tasha Yar from an alternate reality and let her go back in time to make her death meaningful. Great concepts.

Diversity of plots and genres
    Star Trek has crossed the genres of drama, comedy, allegorical stories, social commentary, action, morality plays and high-concept sci fi ideas. Star Wars pretty much tells the same story over and over. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was simply a retread of "A New Hope." The series actually began 'riffing' itself back in 1983 with "Return of the Jedi" which recycled concepts from the previous two movies with another light sabre showdown between Luke and Vader, another Death Star, another party scene with weird aliens. But of course there was Leia's gold bikini to please young fanboys.

Spock
    The true definition of a cultural icon. Anyone in the world could be shown a picture of Leonard Nimoy as Spock and there are very few people who wouldn't recognize his character or the quote "Live long and prosper."

Weird resolutions to romances
    Let's just put it this way. Chakotay never fell in love with Janeway only to discover she was his sister. Just disturbing.

Borg Cubes vs. Death Stars
    The Borg have thousands of cubes throughout the galaxy. Vader only had one Death Star and every time it got destroyed, he had to spend years building another one.

Phasers are more practical than lightsabres
    Seriously, who would stand a chance in a duel with a light sabre if the other guy can incinerate you from fifty yards away?

Multicultural diversity
    Star Trek wasn't afraid to push the boundaries back in the 60's by having a multicultural crew on the bridge, including a Russian, Asian, Black woman (and a Vulcan). This was unheard of during those years. Star Trek also televised the first interracial kiss on television, which barely got past the censors of those days.

Cooler ships
    Starting with the iconic USS Enterprise, as well as Romulan Warbirds and Klingon Birds of Prey, Star Trek has way better ships. The Millennium Falcon looks like a bunch of garbage cans glued together in comparison.

Science over magic
    Star Trek solves problems through science and intelligence, not a belief in a supernatural force. A number of early concepts in Star Trek led to innovations in science and technology including computers,, cell phones and other technology.http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...chnologies.htm

Better Villains
    Star Trek has a wealth of memorable bad guys: Khan, the Borg, Q, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians. Star Wars only had Vader and Kyle Ren who looks like a Vader Wannabe.

My View:
    Star Trek will continue to boldly go where no one one has gone before with original stories and new concepts, while Star Wars seems doomed to keep retreading the same old stories from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Star Trek rules!
    Last edited by Starrunner; 15-May-2016 at 01:54.

MarchinBunny

I am probably one of the only people that exists that liked Jar Jar XD

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Star Trek rules!
    yeah, but bear in mind that Star Wars is Olde Worlde and Star Trek is footchy wootchy (had to do something, there )

apart from that.....YAY!!!
    i've never been keen on Star Wars, either. sure, it was a spectacle when it first came out, but it was, and still is, all about merchandizing. each film is just one big temptvert for the toys.

Both have there strong points.

Star Trek has so many storylines and spin offs.

I like both, but am an original Trekie follower. That is where I stop, IMO they killed the series by altering the timeline/reality with the new movies.

Also a lot of tech in Star trek has come to reality
    Communicators, Mobile phones
    Portable pad computers
    Hypo sprays
    touch screens
    view screens

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    I am probably one of the only people that exists that liked Jar Jar XD
    You have tremendous courage in admitting this. I'd suggest a support group but I suspect you would be the only person in it, heheheh.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    yeah, but bear in mind that Star Wars is Olde Worlde and Star Trek is footchy wootchy (had to do something, there )

apart from that.....YAY!!!
    i've never been keen on Star Wars, either. sure, it was a spectacle when it first came out, but it was, and still is, all about merchandizing. each film is just one big temptvert for the toys.
    Yep. As soon as I saw BB-8, I could just see the merchandise, toys, action figures, plushies rolling off the assembly line, just in time for Christmas..

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Both have there strong points.

Star Trek has so many storylines and spin offs.

I like both, but am an original Trekie follower. That is where I stop, IMO they killed the series by altering the timeline/reality with the new movies.
    I actually like the new movies, but then again I'm also a Chis Pine fan. I think they pretty much had to alter the timeline in order to have the sense the crew would be in any danger. These movies start before the five year mission. There wouldn't be much drama or danger to the new crew if the timeline remained the same because we know they will all live long lives (and prosper!) since we've already seen how the later years play out for them. There wouldn't be much danger if you knew they were going to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by parcelboy2 View Post
    Also a lot of tech in Star trek has come to reality
    Communicators, Mobile phones
    Portable pad computers
    Hypo sprays
    touch screens
    view screens
    Even transporters!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ansporter.html
    Last edited by Starrunner; 14-May-2016 at 23:37.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    You have tremendous courage in admitting this. I'd suggest a support group but I suspect you're be the only person in it, hehehe.
    Well, I suppose the issue is, Episode one was the first star wars movie I had ever seen. I was also a kid when I watched it, and I thought Jar Jar was cute. So you could even say he was my favorite character in the movie lol. I also liked the way he talked.

Wow. Seriously? Blasphemy. Star Wars is so much better than Star Trek. Just saying!

I adore both for their own merits, though I'd probably tip it in Star Trek's favour, if only because for Deep Space Nine's fantastic arc that borrowed its origins from a better show - which leads me to my alternate argument.

Babylon 5 is better than both of them.

1. Far more realistic depiction of humanity
    2. Far more realistic depiction of technology
    3. Interesting, multidimensional characters with deep flaws and amazing arcs through the series
    4. A classic, epic story arc full of reflection, wonder, terror and hair-standing-on-the-back-of-your-neck quotables
    5. No Jar Jar Binks