DDAVP / Desmopressin side effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAndBlue

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
My urologist just gave me a prescription for DDAVP to stop bedwetting. I remember reading a few posts from people saying they quit taking it because of different side effects.

If you have taken it, what side effects did you have? What was your experience of success taking the medicine? Pros vs Cons, did you keep taking it?

Thanks for any help. My wife isn't keen on prescription meds but I want to give it a shot if it will stop me wetting the bed.

I used to take it for a few years and it worked for the most part, the effects for me were waking up and having massive headaches, I decided I'd rather wear diapers nightly than to take pills that worked for the most part but made me sick. I only took DDAVP for a few years, I have no desire to go back to it.

crowza said:
I used to take it for a few years and it worked for the most part, the effects for me were waking up and having massive headaches, I decided I'd rather wear diapers nightly than to take pills that worked for the most part but made me sick. I only took DDAVP for a few years, I have no desire to go back to it.

Is DDAVP effective on a night by night basis? For example, could one take it when traveling to be free of the worry for few nights? Does it require a prescription?

The trouble with all medication for incontinence problems is the side effects. I chose to rely on nappies.

It made me very heat sensitive, and since I lived in New Mexico at the time, in the summer that was a killer. Also gave me a slight headache after taking it every night but it went away in a bit.

Desmopressin side effects.

I didn't have headache problems. And I did not have the heat sensitivity problems. The side effect I did have was this. If I drank too many liquids before I took the medication and went to bed, I would have diarrhea the next morning.

I got a prescription when I was a junior in high school. My doctor thought it might keep me dry when visiting colleges and playing travel sports. I took it for a week before a trip and during the trip. It cut down on the frequency, but I still wore a diaper just in case. The main advantage was that I could wear a disposable instead of a cloth diaper.

I understand that it's most effective for someone who's almost stopped wetting the bed, to get the "last mile".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back