Benefits of wearing nappies (outside of the obvious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derek245

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I was just wondering, beyond helping with your incontinence, have you ever found any other benefits to wearing nappies? I remember once during winter, it was incredibly icy and everyone was constantly slipping, I myself slipped and landed on my bum many many times... of course thanks to the thickness of the nappy hugging my bottom, this hurt much less than it would otherwise, and I felt pretty sorry for anyone without my cushioning... another time my roof was leaking very badly and I didn't have a bucket or anything to keep the water off the carpet, so found that one of my nappies made a pretty good substitute! I'm also much better at changing baby diapers than most guys my age thanks to my long experience...

Last edited:
I find them very beneficial in my college courses. I spend so much time at school with long classes and long study sessions in the library. I love that I don't have to monitor my caffeine intake or worry about long classes or try to find a place during high traffic times in the restrooms between classes. I can usually make it through the day with one or two changes utilizing the lull in the bathrooms between classes. I can't help but smile a bit when working with a team on some research and you can clearly see people doing the pee dance not wanting to break off their train of thought especially when making good progress.

I also discovered many years ago that underpads are an excellent way to store firearms for a long time. Whenever I would go overseas for an extended period I would do a detailed clean then oil the living daylights out of the firearms. Lay down a pad or two (depending on length of the firearm), place the weapon on the pads then roll them up tight and tape them shut. Never had any rust formation or lube drying out with this method, even over several years in storage in either damp or hot climates.

Running in cold weather, nappies make a fantastic wind breaker!

Well to be honest wearing diapers for IC and being in a wheelchair is a dream when attending auctions, like 10 hours standing with no place to sit for "normal" people and missing items for auction in order to take a leak, I have gone with friends who are so jealous that I don't come home and be in pain from the experience.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Love the answers so far - padding is padding and keeps you protected - for me it's not so much of an advantage but disadvantage as I find that I sweat in general a lot more as my mid section is wrapped up like a turkey ready to cook - but back to the OP - the fact I don't have to use some what can be pretty unsavoury roadside loos is a plus for me when driving

Essexboi said:
Love the answers so far - padding is padding and keeps you protected - for me it's not so much of an advantage but disadvantage as I find that I sweat in general a lot more as my mid section is wrapped up like a turkey ready to cook - but back to the OP - the fact I don't have to use some what can be pretty unsavoury roadside loos is a plus for me when driving
Just as long,nobody is trying to pull the gizzard out before you wrap it up.

Talk about timing. Today there was an article in The Washington Post about having to wear diapers on the job, this one about those who work in the poultry industry. The three big ones, Tyson, Purdue and Pilgrim are not giving their workers bathroom breaks. According to the article, workers who clean chickens stand in a long assembly line, shoulder to shoulder, each cleaning 40 chickens in a minute, if you can believe that. There are supposed to be people to relieve them on the line should the need a bathroom break, but the complaint is that often no one shows up for at least an hour. Many workers simply urinated while standing and working. Now they wear Pampers, from what the article said. My guess is that they must insert the diaper into the underwear.

I'm not incontinent but I'm getting older and the number of trips I have to make to the bathroom (2 or 3 each night) is increasingly interrupting my sleep (grumpy baby). Lately I've been wearing a diaper to bed. I'm AB so I adjusted to it easily. No more trips to the bathroom. I do wake up to pee but I fall right back to sleep. I've found that not only do I sleep better, I'm more alert and well rested in the morning (happy baby).

Question: Am I going to make myself night-time incontinent?

P.S. Yes I've been to a urologist and no, I don't want any of their medical solutions.

tickles51 said:
I'm not incontinent

Question: Am I going to make myself night-time incontinent?

P.S. Yes I've been to a urologist and no, I don't want any of their medical solutions.

You will likely find that you wet the bed easier and may wake up occassionally and not known when you wet. You will likely train your body that it is ok to wet while lying in bed and/or sleeping. This can often be diaper dependent and you may find yourself 'diaper-trained' to wet when protected, but not wet when not diapered.

Tickles,

You've stated that you hate getting multiple times during the night to go to the bathroom. So you've started wearing and using a diaper at night. You still wake up but just use your diaper and go right back to sleep. Being nighttime incontinent would mean that you didn't have to wake up at all during the night. Is that a bad thing? It sounds to me as though you get a better night's sleep.

Hi Tickles,

I am in the same situation as you. I get up twice a night - more if I've been drinking - to go the bathroom. I have a lot of trouble sleeping and this is a factor.

I'm also tempted to wear overnight and I've tried it a few times.

I have the same concerns - would I become a bedwetter and what about holidays and travel?

In my case what about the partner for the days we are together (mostly I'm on my own due to work) who doesn't like getting woken up when I go to the bathroom, but so far isn't receptive to me wearing.

Anyway I can't advise you, as I don't know. But I'm interested to see what replies you get and what you decide to do.

Pinguinito

My Urologist who knows I am IC still asks me how many times I get up during the night because I have prostate problems, then I remind him he has been prescribing my diapers for 20 + years, the same diaper he untaped to check my prostate that he retape's after checking it.

Tickles - As Inconinmiss pointed out, if they are allowing you to sleep but you are still waking up during the night (only not long enough to have any effect) then you aren't incontinent. If you sleep through the night and wake up wet then that's different.

Pinguinito - What is it your partner doesn't like? If you explained it was for sleeping issues then I'm sure they would be more understanding. I was only introduced to the DL world a few years ago by my ex, but even before I knew anything about it I wouldn't have minded if a guy I was sharing a bed with asked if he could wear them. I suppose it's a bit different if someone wants to involve their partner, but I just wearing them in bed while you are both sleeping shouldn't really affect them.

MonkeyFrog said:
Tickles - As Inconinmiss pointed out, if they are allowing you to sleep but you are still waking up during the night (only not long enough to have any effect) then you aren't incontinent. If you sleep through the night and wake up wet then that's different.

Pinguinito - What is it your partner doesn't like? If you explained it was for sleeping issues then I'm sure they would be more understanding. I was only introduced to the DL world a few years ago by my ex, but even before I knew anything about it I wouldn't have minded if a guy I was sharing a bed with asked if he could wear them. I suppose it's a bit different if someone wants to involve their partner, but I just wearing them in bed while you are both sleeping shouldn't really affect them.
I am incontinent and usually pee in my sleep but there are occasions when I do wake but I wouldn't dream of getting up. I just wet my nappy and drift back to sleep. My wife has no problem with sleeping next to me in a nappy and knows I sometimes deliberately wet rather than get up. She doesn't mind as I don't disturb her sleep.

I can not believe any Woman would pass up the opportunity to be urinated on in the middle of the night and wake up in a cold wet bed, what is this world coming too! LOL

I would second the idea that it really helps in school. I used to hate it in high school when you're forced in situations where you either change clothes in the stall(thereby singling yourself out as the one that had to go to the stall) or change in front of people where they can find out. But now that I'm in College none of that is a factor obviously and the number of times I end up wetting myself I can't imagine getting up for all of those. I'd miss half the notes, lol.

Of course I've messed myself mid-class too, and that's the same horrifying experience it always is, but it's better to focus on the positives there, >__>

I take pills that act as a diuretic and it forces me to get up 2+ times a night. I have thought if wearing at night. Just not sure if it would be a good move for me.

Tetra - it must be great you've had the same doctor for all that time.
Also LOL about the partner waking up in a wet bed - what woman or man could resist that :)

MonkeyFrog and ST50 - There would be a lot of resistance I think. I'm holding off while I make sure I actually can sleep better once I get more used to wearing in bed. I was still at the stage of ending up with a wet bed or being so soggy on the outside of the diaper inside plastic pants that I get up and take them off - though I've got up at normal time with a wet diaper and a dry me and a dry bed the last three times so maybe I'm getting there. I once peed half a sleep on my side which leaked everywhere - the only time I've been half-asleep - so if that happens again all bets are off - but since then I've woken up fully to pee.

I'm also seeing a doctor (general practice not a urologist) about peeing frequently, peeing at night and also not sleeping - so I'm going to see what they come up with. I'm not hopeful - but at least they should be able to rule out more serious problems. I didn't really think that much about the fact I peed a lot or that I got up at night and most others didn't, before I found this conference. Although I think it has got a bit worse of late - so maybe I'm more aware of it. It is still pretty minor - just an inconvenience really apart from the sleep problems.

Carolus - I'm glad college is better than school. I told myself at the end of school that I'd leave college straight away if it was as bad - but it was much better. They can be some of the best years of your life in some ways.

Last edited:
I'm just-a DL.

However, I have considered wearing for convenience before. Never have, actually.

I have to get up minimum of once a night - sometimes up to 3 times to pee. It's from other health issues I have going on - any time I lay down I have to go to the bathroom - I don't believe it's prostate problem as my bladder is legitimately full. My parents don't think so and when ever I spend the night at their house (once every few months) they will ask me if I have seen a doctor and that I should get my prostate checked out.

Due to the same health issues, I have to drink a lot of water. I *should* be on diuretics but the constant muscle cramps and heart palpitations are not tolerable. I drink a lot of water which makes me need to pee a lot. It has caused a few awkward situations.

I can always dehydrate myself but I balloon up and my eyes turn yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back