Wheelchair

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacy122

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hey all

Is anyone here in a wheelchair and suffer from total incontinence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in a power chair full-time with IC, I was IC before my Mobility was lost this is my second power chair ( total of 9 years in a chair! ) I use a RoHo Quattro cushion and have a full TRE. Also upgrade chair to open cell foam 8 inch casters ( rides like pneumatic without any flats drive tires are 14 inch pneumatic made of Kevlar on an 8 inch rim. Top speed is 6.5 MPH with a twenty mile range average and I have a 3rd battery in the tray to power computers, radios, and lights without touching any of my mobility battery juice, it is powder coated in matte black and has a seat elevation of 12 inches in about 6 seconds, my headlights are custom LED WITH 5,000 Lumen output, I have 4 rear and two side marker Whelen surface mount LED for visibility and the headlights can also be switched to red and blue alternating and flashing with a visibility of 1 1/2 miles in daylight ( I will not be squished crossing an intersection or having to share the road because the city lacks sidewalks) although this is my only power chair currently I am looking for a second chair for conversation to a tracked vehicle like a "rip chair" . Currently have a HF/VHF/ UHF digital radio with single button encryption capability, also an LED touch screen that will show any TV channel or radio control status, or can split the screen and have either the forward or reverse camera display along with control function on other half , joystick has remote Bluetooth control of any PC,MAC or Android computer built in and a pocket size keyboard that I can unroll and have a keyboard anywhere, with an android Samsung S2 armored tablet in a multi positional variable height RAM Mount on the right armrest front but it like the joystick is a swing away for pulling up close to a table or desk! Most functions can be voice controlled with a Bose. wireless soundlink 25 over the ear headphones with built in mics integrated into the earcups, I also have full voice activated enviromental control via NEST thermostat and lighting and security home cameras and the ability to unlock and open my front door or close and lock all via an Echo device in the kitchen. I can also control my smart tv or my Yamaha tuner, amp and SACD player through voice, there is a camera Mount that can be attached with Manfrotto head for my Canon 5 mark III and via the tablet all functions are remote. It is the most tricked out chair I know of. But it's a work in progress constantly be upgraded to enhance useabiliyy?

And yours ?.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I was just wondering how others are in wheelchairs and deal with ic

Diapers and catheters are a way of life, when I am seriously sick my urologist offers a Foley or says then could put a Supra pubic catheter in and basicly bypass all the anatomy and just have the catheter go directly into the bladder and come out draining into a bag, not for me, thanks but NO thanks. Yeah IC can be a pain in the butt though not anywhere near the risks of surgery ( at least for me because of a genetic condition I am allergic to most anesthetics, paralytic agents I will survive surgery and then when in recovery my body has a reaction that causes my body temperature to raise so high my brain cooks in its own juices and I become brain dead, if it is not caught very quickly and stopped, the problem being in most cases it's not caught before it kills...)

Are you double IC or just urinary or fecal ,either way your biggest threat about IC in a chair is not using a barrier cream or Zinc oxide and getting skin breakdown due to combined wetness and pressure injury, my G/F is currently confined to bed due to the need to heal a skin breakdown, she never believed that her foam and gel hybrid cushion was bad until now when her doctors are insisting she get a RoHo and limit her chair time until she gets it , basicly her doc says no more than 2 hours a day in the chair and while in bed lay on a bed pad and let her wound get "air time".she was a stage II on both cheeks.

Is there something between your IC and your chair that you want to talk about or is it just overall a pain in the butt and your just looking at what others do to manage for "inspiration" or ideas for a different care regimen ?

Last edited:
damn, tetra! i have seen some pimped-out jeeps, and your wheelchair could probably kick their asses. nice work!

Thanks Whisko, if you got to be in it, make it yours ( and slap the word mobility on some junk and the price goes up $10,000)

The next thing is finding a good used chair to convert to treads for off roading and taking in the woods, I would really like to make a nice thin chair but really aggressive for playing in the dirt and woods, and of course up close on the beach to the ice dunes in winter, ice photography is one of my favorite things.

I'm unfortunately bowel and urine. I resort to diapers full time. I usually keep a disposable bed pad between me and my wheelchair in case I leak

What kind of cushion do you use because if it's a RoHo you can get an IC cover for it and eliminate the bed pad, and of course RoHo being rubber that sucker does get leaked on you just hose it down in the shower and walla problem, no problem. What do use as a barrier cream at home I use whatever I grab , when going out I like the Balmex adult care stuff absolutely no odor, it comes in the big jar for home and then I have saddle bags attached to my knee bolsters and in there I carry a handy little tube with me, what I like about it is it was formulated for adult IC and it has something in it to neutralize urine and fecal acids! Never can be to carefull with the largest organ in the body. What kind of briefs do you wear ? Do you buy your own or get the insurance Medical special cheapie provided? Or a little of both, I do both and any money I spend on good diapers comes of my rent so it works out pretty well.

I use a wheelchair sometimes. Mostly walk with crutches. I try to stay in shape.

I can't stay in any kind of shape exercise is really bad for me, but being I'm 5'7" and weigh 114 pounds I can't complain, I could be really obese in a jumbo wheelchair, this way I can eat whatever I want basicly as long as I don't need a 5 gallon bucket of insulin yo cover it, if I ate according to all the "special" diets that are good for all my health problems it would be a plate of wood chips and a glass of water at each meal. LOL

I'm a full time wheelchair user and urine incontinent, I also have occasional bowel issues and got reffered to a gastroenterologist a few years ago wh just said it was due to my CP and says i've got a poor squeeze when he did a digital test

What u use to deal with incontinence

I have to use a wheelchair, but I can still walk. Though I'm incontinent due to birth defects, I've developed problems in my spine from working and lifting weights for years, and a couple of years ago I hit a point where I can't walk for long distances or stand for long periods of time, and I ended up with a wheelchair as a result that I use when those are going to be a factor. Unfortunately I did gain a lot of weight due to an inability to exercise after that, but I've been working on changing my diet and exercising more, mostly hitting the pool(SOSecure, ftw!), and I've been starting to see some results.

Stacy during the day around town I use either Angelfluff Ultimate 3 with plastic pants or Tranquility ATN'S , for longer trips I use Northshore supremes , when wearing my cloth I use Medline Remedy Restore you clean yourself when changing rub on the Restore and let it dry before taping up, it does not have petroleum so it does not kill your plastic pants, it also has Amino acids that are basic building blocks for new healthy skin, when wearing disposables I use either A & D ,Desitin, Balmex , Aquaphor ,Calmoseptine , Eucerin, just grab randomly so my skin does not get "used" to any one product. I use a RoHo Quatrro air cushion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back