Thread: How Can i stop scratching and pickind at my face

Default How Can i stop scratching and pickind at my face

I for no Reason everytime i Look in the mirror i pick and squeeze Spots Even though they have just been popped. It Takes mental Effort for me to stop Myself. Its disturbing and i Want to stop, i dont Want to Ruin my Face, help!!!

I believe you may be suffering from a form of impulse control disorder known as Dermotilliomania. I too suffer from this disorder and have only in recent years got it under control. There isn't really a real cure to the issue, since it's an impulse it takes a significant effort to stop doing it. At the height of my struggle I'd pick my feet raw to the point where it was near impossible to walk on them.

My advice to you is when you feel the urge or start subconsciously picking, find something to keep your hands busy with. Be it a book, a craft project, or a hand held game console. Find something that will keep your hands busy. You're struggle hits close to home and if all else fails please, please seek Therapy.

As I said above the key is keeping your stray hands away from the place you're picking. Sorry I can't really offer much else but I wish you the best in recovery.

Thank you and i wish you good luck in recovering, should i just mit Look in the mirror for more than 5 seconds so i dont have enough Time to pick, what is your Secret that you use to stop the urges.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    Thank you and i wish you good luck in recovering, should i just mit Look in the mirror for more than 5 seconds so i dont have enough Time to pick, what is your Secret that you use to stop the urges.
    Thank you, and I hope you can walk the road of recovery soon yourself!

Haha I wouldn't really call it a secret. When the urge came instead of resisting I'd find something else to do with my hands. Like playing with 2 D20's until the urge passed. I just found the key was to keep your hands busy all the time.

I normally distract myself by playing video games or typing a paper. Sure it isn't for everyone, but it works for me.

Misatoismywaifu

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlitz View Post
    I believe you may be suffering from a form of impulse control disorder known as Dermotilliomania. I too suffer from this disorder and have only in recent years got it under control. There isn't really a real cure to the issue, since it's an impulse it takes a significant effort to stop doing it. At the height of my struggle I'd pick my feet raw to the point where it was near impossible to walk on them.

My advice to you is when you feel the urge or start subconsciously picking, find something to keep your hands busy with. Be it a book, a craft project, or a hand held game console. Find something that will keep your hands busy. You're struggle hits close to home and if all else fails please, please seek Therapy.

As I said above the key is keeping your stray hands away from the place you're picking. Sorry I can't really offer much else but I wish you the best in recovery.
    wow, I didn't even know it had a name. Thank you. Growing a beard has stemmed the impulse to a degree but if I see myself without a shirt on I impulsively pick incessantly. Real pain it is.

I put baby oil on my face. According to the /r/skincareaddicts group on reddit, one of the best ways to take care of acne without harsh products, is to just wash your face with regular bathing soaps and then use a variety of oils, one of them being baby oil.

Reason I bring this up, is that I have noticed a good amount less of acne problems, so if you do this, you might too, and have less reason to pick. Also, when your skin is oily, it just makes it hard to properly pick at anyway, so you can just give up and leave it alone.

Something to try anyway.

Haha grow a Beard, im a girl!?... Oh i might Try the Baby Oil thing aus well.

Well, some women can grow beards, but they are usually a bit older.

Anyway; I struggle with dermatillomania as well. Like Snow Blitz, I pick my feet. I agree with his idea to find something else to do with your hands. Maybe you could take up knitting or needlepoint, or play a musical instrument. There are also a lot of stim toys out there for people with fidgety hands. I personally use a twiddle chain, but there are other options. Stimtastic has some good products, as does Office Playground.

With my feet it helps if I keep them covered, so I often try to wear socks or slippers. Even though it's kind of weird, maybe you should keep a mask handy for whenever you get the urge to pick or you need to look in the mirror to do your hair. I am not sure if that would work, bit it's an idea. Covering mirrors when not using them is also a good way to avoid the urge.