Flying with a diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungPixel

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey guys! This summer me and my family are going to Costa Rica (we are from Spain), so that implies a 10-hour flight :biggrin:
I was wondering about wearing a diaper during the flight, but I am worried about the checks. If you wear a diaper during the check, do they pat down me? Or does the x-ray machine says anything?

I've seen some posts where they say that they normally do a private pat down if you wear a diaper, which I would like to avoid, just pass normally.
So because of that, I thought on packing some diapers (just a few, 2 or 3 on my backpack bag) and then changing in the bathroom. Would they inspect it or just let it pass like everything else?

I just want to act as normal as possible, to avoid any concerns with my family (they don't know about this).
Cheers!

PD: I am going to use Crinklz, do you think will I need a change? I think that diapers can last a long time.

Last edited:
I wear diapers for every flight, but I always put them on after the TSA Check-point. As for the protective underwear I wear for incontinence, I've gone through without any problems. I've heard from others here on Adisc that wet diapers are the problem, and will always prompt a search. Others have commented that dry diapers don't usually cause any fuss - but take this information at your own discretion.

So, if you are planning to wear AB/DL diapers like Crinklz, I would suggest putting them on in the bathroom right before boarding.

As for changing, it's recommended that you go #2 before your flight so there will be no reason you take your diaper off and risk tampering with any good seal of the leak guards or the tapes. Also, 10 hours is a bit lengthy, so I'd suggest having some sort of small carry-on bag that won't be a bother to bring along with you into the lavatory. This way, you can bring extra diapers to change into.

You may have the absorbency, but sitting in a wet diaper for that length of time may become uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks for the response :)
I'll probably put on the diaper after the check, so I'll have to practice putting a diaper standing up haha

Maybe something I should have in mind is the smell, I don't think I will last 10h without anyone noticing smell.

Cheers!

oh and if you're on chemo, and have a wet diaper, it sets off the bomb detector due to nuclear material.... no, that's not a joke, it really happens.

Padded flyer here. I've gone through TSA's millimeter wave scanner with an Abena L4 (and thinner diapers), sweatpants, and jeans all at once. Never flagged over several dozen trips.

If you're flagged for something else, like a sweaty shirt (liquids tend to set off the scanner - which was the case with people wearing a wet diaper who refused to change), they'll make sure there's nothing under your shirt.

If you're unlucky enough to be flagged for explosives, they'll give you a very thorough pat down - where they'll notice the diaper is when they look along your waistband. They allow you to do this in private. Moral: No yardwork before flying!

If you pack several thick/dense items together, it appears as a undiscernable cloud in the x-ray scanner. I've been flagged taking a large can of whey powder aboard. Two diapers are generally fine, so long as you also don't have a lot of other stuff.

I've flown a lot over the past 2 years for a multitude of business trips + visiting sick grandparents (I'm at something like 20 round trips). I wore a diaper every one of those flights and never had any issues except that packing diapers adds a lot of bulk to your suitcases and backpacks.

Generally I wear a pullup through security because I can use the toilet as normal if I have to, and therefore it's no problem to go through security with it dry. If security somehow ends up putting me through a secondary screening that requires removing it, it's easy to do and not a big deal as it's not unnecessarily depleting a very limited supply of good diapers I was counting on using during the flight. The other nice thing is that the sides of the pullup tear off, which makes changing into a real diaper a lot easier (otherwise you'd have to wear underwear over the diaper or risk taking your pants off inside a potentially dirty airport restroom stall). I'll carry enough diapers for how many changes I think I'll need +1. In the case of a flight across the US with one layover that meant 3 diapers in my backpack; one for changing in a restroom past security, one for changing in a restroom during the layover, and one extra just in case.

All of that said, if you're flying with family who don't know about the diapers, I don't recommend wearing them on the flight. There are too many things that could go wrong and make you miserable and/or out you to your family. E.g. say one of them ends up sitting next to you and you end up needing to change in-flight; you'd either have to remove a diaper from your bag in front of them or just hold it for the rest of the flight. Or say security says something to each other (e.g. "that one is wearing protection and needs a private screening") that's accidentally overheard by a family member. You'll spend all your time stressing about it, and if your family does notice and freak out it might end up clouding the entire trip. I have no problem wearing while flying, but that's because I fly alone and don't really care about random strangers noticing, provided that I took reasonable steps to not be noticed.

Flying diapered... Is fucking great. Like previous post mention, don't be dirty going thru security. Remember even if the tsa moron is an asshole about your diapers you'll never see them again, tell them to fuck directly off. I kind of make it a point to be an asshole to the tsa at checkpoints because I'm former military with many photo IDs in my wallet. I'm the exact kind of American you want to see on your flight, no jackass with a box cutter is going to hijack my flight and survive.

Its easier in Europe, Asia and Australia as we are not a paranoid as the US and don't have as many countries that actually want to blow us up. i wear nappies all the time flying from Aust to Asia, Europe and never had an issue.

I've never tried taking diapers through the scanners, since I don't need them. Though note that if your pass says "TSA pre" on it, you only need to go through a regular metal detector, so you can just wear normally. Regardless, I just put them in my backpack, which has not been opened or searched, then change in a bathroom after going through security. I prefer the very thick diapers, so thus far I haven't needed a change on a flight, though I'm sure you would need to change at least once on a 10 hour flight, which means navigating an airport bathroom with a bag. Not the biggest deal, but annoying I think.

i flew down to LA this summer i never have any trouble with TSA first off i travel with a diaper bag and if they ask me to step aside for an extra check im up front about my diapers only once 6 or 7 years ago did they take me to another room so i could show them it. first off they are looking for people that what they call tells (nervousness etc.) if you are going to wear them own it. it's not a big deal.
here are a few things you should know
1) n the full body scanner they will show up they may ask you a few questions dont worry they as just as nervous as you are about these question.
2) if you wear a onesie with metal snaps they will show up too even some metal detectors.
30 get precheck i do now so i dont go through the long lines. me i passed the background omg for real.

bambinod said:
oh and if you're on chemo, and have a wet diaper, it sets off the bomb detector due to nuclear material.... no, that's not a joke, it really happens.

Yeah. I vaguely remember hearing that. Apparently Brazil nuts and bananas often trigger the bomb detectors too.

I would agree with that. Own it if you do it.
I flew from Las Vegas this week and I am Pre. Most times, it is not a big deal. However, the metal detectors randomly (so we are told) will alarm for no reason and you have been randomly selected for the full exam. I was pulled out yesterday as having an item in my groin of interest. I asked for a private screening and off we went. The two agents were professional and understanding, but poorly trained. When we entered the room, they explained the pat down of the groin and how they would do it. I told them I "had a garment" on that would be noticed. He seemed to understand but after feeling my crotch seemed perplexed. He said there was something bulky that he felt and was unsure what it was. This time I just told him, it is a diaper for incontinence. At this point he had no idea what to do, so he asked for his supervisor. The supervisor told them to have me put my hands in my pants and then swab them. We did that, but then the super came in. He told me he needed to see what the bulk was and gave me a towel to cover up with and asked me to lower my pants. I told him keep the towel and just dropped my pant, unbuttoned my shirt (onesie), and pulled my plastic pants and underware (worn for leaks to soak them up) down leaving my diaper for all to see. I did it so fast, I did not realize the one agent was standing with the door held open! Oh well. I owned that situation.

Needless to say, they said I was good go and I proceeded with my day. I get pulled out about once a month, but I fly every week multiple times. It is just something to roll with. They are normally more embarrassed than you will be. Most of them have poor training and their responses vary from that kind to just a quick run around the inside of the top of your pants and a hand swab. TSA is really just security theater and how you respond means everything. I definitely do not look nervous and I am very accepting of my choices and actions.

I was wearing my Orange plastic pants, but I have been knows to do prints or pink just have more fun! Enjoy life your way!

TSA is no biggie, just walk through the scanner, be normal about it, they'll be normal about it, a wetting will be ok usually, but don't subject them to some high capacity diaper thats wanting to fall down around you ankles.
If its full, change it, if its used within reason you'll be fine, they've seen it all before, get a TSA medical condition card 'cabbage card' state your issue on it.

I've flown many many times in a dry diaper. Nothing all that bulky. I can't say for wet. It has been detected exactly twice, both at the same airport. I've flown into at least 12 others without anything. The first time the scanner picked it up the guy said he'd do a pat down. He didn't notice anything and seemed a skittle perplexed. He told me that it was problem because my jeans were baggy. I told him that I had on absorbent underwear. I was a little nervous. The second time they checked a little closer at which time I told the guy that I was wearing a diaper. He was not shocked and said that it happens all the time. Neither was a big inconvenience. Everyone has got to remember that diapers are special and unique for us, but that diapers are a necessity for a lot of people. There are 1000's of people who go through security everyday and who don't have a problem with it. If the Alarm does go off, tell the guy you need to wear a diaper and leave it at that. As for the experience that the guy had with the towel and the door open, I think that is just a story that he is telling. If you're not weird about it and say you've got to wear a diaper they are not going to bat an eye. Diapers are commonplace. Google it. What do you think depends is making stuff for.

Only ever taken a few flights without protection but yeah make sure you a still dry b4 going through dopey check points where they needlessly violate your privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back