Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to chop food really fast?

Default How to chop food really fast?

Well, I need to chop potatoes for dinner tonight. I've done it hundreds of times. I was just wondering. Those people on TV that can chop a tomato into 30 pieces in like 5 seconds. HOW?! No seriously, in detail. How?

Mesmerale

1) A lot of practice. No matter what you're told on here, don't try to do it without slowly working your way up to that speed.

2) I imagine it involves some kind of rocking with the knife or something or whatever. I really have no idea, I don't cook.

Just to let you know, this is completely hypothetical. I was just wondering. I don't wanna try it :P

Practice Practice Practice. When I was working as an assistant in a Kitchen, one of my jobs was veg-prep. By the time I was done with that job I was pretty fast. There really isn't any special technique.

If you're a chef, then you probably cut food so often you can't help but get quick at doing it.

I think any job will let you gain some random skill like this. I could change a dishwasher with lightening speed! But that's not very impressive...

I once cut my finger at work, and the chef put this bandage on and then to cut the bandage he raised this massive kitchen knife up in the air and slammed it down really quickly towards my finger... He stopped just before and then quickly cut the bandage.
    Chefs have a sick sense of humour... T_T

I've never scared somebody with my mean dishwasher skills.

Not so sure about chopping potatoes specifically, but for most vegetables, I've found there seem to be two secrets to fast chopping:

1. use a good knife, and one that is large / long enough that you can more or less leave the tip on the chopping board, and just raise the handle end, each time you chop, rather than raising the entire knife. This "rocking" motion should reduce the strain on your wrist, allow you to cut faster, and make it much less likely that the knife will slip when cutting.

2. Keep your hands out of the way! I find it best to place the palm of my left hand (I'm right handed) across the top of the blade for stability (provided you don't have a double edged blade!) and use my right hand to grip the knife handle / actually do the chopping. This way there is really no way that you can cut yourself.

As I said, this may or may not really work so well for potatoes, but it does work great for dicing onions, herbs and many other vegetables. I more or less use a variation of this technique for cutting potatoes as well, but it will probably be necessary to use your "off" hand to hold the potato steady, instead of stabilizing the blade.

Hope this makes sense!

I've worked as a chef at several country clubs. You need a kitchen utility knife, a chopping knife, or a small cleaver. I prefer the cleaver for potatoes because many have a slightly sloped edge. You rock the blade back and forth, leaving the far end in place and moving the potatoe. You need a VERY sharp knife. Beyond that it's just practice. I don't recommend trying to go fast if you're not skilled. That large and that shapr a knife WILL take off a finger.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    If you're a chef, then you probably cut food so often you can't help but get quick at doing it.

I think any job will let you gain some random skill like this. I could change a dishwasher with lightening speed! But that's not very impressive...

I once cut my finger at work, and the chef put this bandage on and then to cut the bandage he raised this massive kitchen knife up in the air and slammed it down really quickly towards my finger... He stopped just before and then quickly cut the bandage.
    Chefs have a sick sense of humour... T_T

I've never scared somebody with my mean dishwasher skills.
    I agree.

I've always wondered what it'll be like when I quit working at the cinema..

I'll be walking through the movies with my friends, "Hey, I wonder what they use for butter..."

"Coconut Oil."

"....How'd you know that?"

Or

"Dude, how do they move so quickly?"

"They're instructed to get the drinks first, so that they can fill up while they get everything else. They also have a 60 seconds or less rule."

"......."

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerale View Post
    "Dude, how do they move so quickly?"

"......."
    . . . movie people . . . Quickly??? hahahahahahahaha! *whew* thassa good'un! The inbred, slopeheaded, dim bulb, reptillian gumscrapers that man OUR concession stands are anything, ANYTHING (anything!) but fast. =P There can be two lines to the ticket dudes kiosk and you will miss the movie in your quest for coconut oil infused popped goodness.

I say to you HA!

On the chopping hand (!), I prefer a 8" santoku knife , seriously razor sharp. It really depends on whether you want to slice, dice, chop, or mince as to what moves to make.

A rough chop, chunks (like for boiling, or skin on oven roasted rosemary garlic potatoes) I take the victim and make 2 cuts down the length (first cuts her in half lengthwise, second roll the halves a quarter turn) to get the potato into long skinny fourths. Turn and chop into chunks.

Repeat until the pot is full.