Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depends Doesn't Get It

Default Depends Doesn't Get It

You may be aware Depends has revamped the Maximum Protection diapers. It was on of the few plastic backed diapers that was easily found in stores and pharmacies. They replaced the plastic backing with a soft cover, removed the elastic waistband, and they now have two refastenable tapes as opposed to the previous six. They weren't the best diaper before but now they're as crappy as everything else on the market.

Anyway, Depends has a web page where you can write your review about the product and get a response from the company. Mostly, the ratings are one or two stars out of five.

http://reviews.depend.com/4117-en_us...ws/reviews.htm

It's pretty hilarious to read the responses from the company to the list of complaints. Each customer keeps repeating the same types of problems, and Depends keeps giving back the same answer as if speaking from talking points.

A zillion people report the most frequent problems that these diapers leak,, they don't fit, they don't stay up, the tapes tear.

Comment
    "I've had a number of leaks since I used them. They're useless. Bring back the old ones."
    Response
    " Leaking shouldn't be a problem. However, have you considered trying some of our other products.?" Repeat a hundred times.

Comment
    "They don't fit anymore. They keep sliding down."
    Response
    " The soft cover and flexible tapes were designed for greater comfort. You shouldn't be having this problem. Perhaps you may consider trying some of our other products."
    Repeat a hundred times

Comment
    "The tapes keep tearing off."
    Response
    "You shouldn't be having this problem. However, perhaps you may wish to consider trying some of our other products."
    Repeat a hundred times

Comment
    "I'm switching to another brand."
    Response
    "Perhaps you might like to try some of our other products.""

They just don't get it.I'm hoping with all the complaints and the loss of business, the ol stuff will be back on the market by the end of the year.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 28-Apr-2016 at 17:39.

The sound a bit like BUNZL a little with their belief the Abena Premiums are well Premium

Sounds like they don't really care going by there responses. It's shame there all I can afford at the moment.

I stopped buying them once they stopped selling them in stores, and instead starting buying from online retailers. It's a shame that they have now gotten even more cheap in the name of profits. Maybe if they loose enough money and customers they will change them back to the old design.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
    Sounds like they don't really care going by there responses. It's shame there all I can afford at the moment.
    try atn's. they are cheap and hold about the same amount as the old design of depends maybe a little more.

When the news started coming out that the plastic backed ones were going the way of the dodo I was hoping that I could snag a couple of bags just for the sake of having them, but all the stores here just sold the 'new' ones alongside the old ones which I found odd. But its not surprising to see the lack of sensible response to the complaints. Thier responses are just canned copy and paste jargon anyways.

As was said they weren't the greatest product from the get go, but its pretty clear that once again the company either didn't do research with legit users or just don't care (Im going with the later) because they have to be smoking something to think that their products are worth it. Ive used no-name generic brands with better results then Depend.

It wouldn't say that Depend "doesn't get it," I would say that, like any large corporation that has made a terrible decision, they're going through the stages of grief:

Denial: this is where they are now. "It's supposed to be great! Don't you see?!"
    Anger: someone's going to get fired.
    Bargaining: You'll see some crazy deals come out.
    Depression: either some sort of pathetic marketing campaign will come out, or they'll try to hide the product.
    Acceptance: Depend releases another attempt to win people over.

Large companies move to stately fugues of progress. You can't help them understand the inferior nature of the new product because (a) someone was paid to design it and (b) no one who markets it has ever used it. Good luck getting the old version back ... there's no use in talking when there's no one listening, and that's the problem here.

I'm wondering how long ago they made this change...looking at the comments, it's fairly recent. The description at the top of the page still says the product has six tabs total, there has been zero update to the website on the product. With that said, I noticed that all of the recent reviews are lambasting Kimberly-Clark for the changes with the exception of a rare few, and some of those are marked as 'Incentivized Review'. Yeah, like I'm going to trust a five star review from someone who has been given an incentive by the company to give a good review, especially when all the others are single star reviews.

I also noticed that the overall rating for the product is 3.2 stars out of 5, which I had a hard time believing until I realized that they probably made a deliberate choice to not change the website. With not changing the site, all of the newer reviews that show them to be so horrible get balanced out by the better reviews of the older product to give a higher overall rating. Sneaky, to say the least. I find it very hard to believe that a major corporation like Kimberly-Clark doesn't have people available to update their website when they make a product change like this. Hell, I work at a smaller company and we get updates to products on our website done in less than a week when we add or change something, and the newer reviews blasting the changed product are several weeks old.

As ampelhamza pointed out, they're probably in denial about it right now, trying to figure out what is wrong with their customer base for not liking the new product. Once they figure out that the customers aren't wrong (money always talk to these people), someone may get fired, but K-C is rapidly going to be figuring out how to do damage control in terms of limiting the costs that they sunk into a diaper that is worth less than the excrement they get filled with. Hell, at least you can use the excrement for fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    You may be aware Depends has revamped the Maximum Protection diapers. It was on of the few plastic backed diapers that was easily found in stores and pharmacies. They replaced the plastic backing with a soft cover, removed the elastic waistband, and they now have two refastenable tapes as opposed to the previous six. They weren't the best diaper before but now they're as crappy as everything else on the market.
    It's pretty hilarious to read the responses from the company to the list of complaints. Each customer keeps repeating the same types of problems, and Depends keeps giving back the same answer as if speaking from talking points.
    You've hit the nail on the head with that comment. This is called "spin", and a company's Public Relations Department is in charge of managing it. Most companies are on a continuous process of developing new products and refining existing ones. The new products are designed by product engineers, whose goal is to meet certain design goals, while keeping development and manufactoring costs reasonable. So the first time a product hits the market, it usually has bugs but is a good product. First the bugs get fixed, but then the bean counters push for lowering production costs. Corners start getting cut, quality goes down, but the product is riding on the good will of people that are used to the better original product, so the bean counters think they're so clever that they've cut production costs without affecting sales and so they get their bonus and move on.

So over time the quality of the product continues to decline, as repeated changes are made to save costs. Sales start to drop and instead of blaming the product changes or the bean counters, they think it's a marketing problem, and marketing gets tasked with fixing the flagging sales. Marketing sees the complaints and switches from promotional mode to damage control mode, and that's where the Spin starts. They try to give the customers a different reason for the change. Rather than "We changed materials to save money" they say "we changed materials to improve the product's qualties or features". That's where the name "spin" comes from, they're trying to spin the arrow of blame around from pointing at the actual reason to some made up reason that makes them look better. When the change clearly lowers the product's quality, there's really nothing else they can do beyond that, besides just keep repeating the same lies over and over and hope some of us start believing it.

That's where Spin gets a bad name, it's the Spam of marketing. That's also related to "boilerplate" - that's the "standard response when someone complains about problem xyz", and that's what you're seeing. It's easiest to recognize boilerplate when it suggests several reasons for the problem or solutions for the problem, after you've already told them that some/all of those reasons are false or you've tried some/all of the suggested solutions. When you see boilerplate, you can tell for sure they're not really listening to you anymore and are just pressing an autoresponse button to get rid of your complaint and moving on to the next one in their queue.

Bean counters make the horse, Spin shoots it, and Boilerplate tries to bury it. So once you see the boilerplate, don't waste your time beating the dead horse, nobody's listening anymore.

I've always thought that it's such a shame that Kimberly Clark has the power to put quality adult diapers on the shelves of most of our local pharmacies and chains, yet they don't. The plastic-backed Depend Protection with tabs was nice while they lasted, i guess, but they could actually make a premium diaper that we'd be able to buy in stores.. But they don't care whatsoever about quality. They've done a great job with the True Fit and the Silhouette, but they've purposely diminished the maximum protection down to nothing.

What a waste.