View Poll Results: Position on spanking

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't think of any study that might sway me away from support of spanking children

5 13.89%
  • I'm right on the edge of changing my mind on the subject

1 2.78%
  • I can't think of any study that might sway me toward spanking children

16 44.44%
  • I feel comfortable with my current position on spanking but could be persuaded by reasonable studies

14 38.89%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Look at Spanking

Default Another Look at Spanking

**I realized I should have had one other option, namely "I feel comfortable with my current position on spanking but could be persuaded by reasonable studies". I've got a request in to fix it. Anyone who wants to answer that might want to wait until the mods can insert it.**

I ran across a link to this study on another site and thought it might be of interest since childhood is near and dear to many of our hearts: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0425143106.htm

In addition, I wondered if there is anything that can reasonably be expected to shift an entrenched position on this topic? My brother and sister were spanked but I came along significantly later and my parents talked it out beforehand and decided against that route with me. As such, my gut check tells me that spanking is unnecessary. I expect this is pretty similar the feeling that friends and aquaintances I have talked to who are in favor of it have. Despite this, I think that I could be persuaded by well-grounded studies that spanking was the better approach overall (although I'm not sure my heart would ever really be in it).

I fully expect this thread will get bogged down in right vs. wrong, who is a monster, etc., but we might have some decent exchange before that. I also hope that the anonymous nature of the poll might be illuminating overall.
    Last edited by Trevor; 27-Apr-2016 at 01:04. Reason: Realized I missed the most reasonable poll answer.

MarchinBunny

I feel spanking is not necessary under most circumstances. However, I don't think it's something that should be considered something that should never happen ever. Just to give an example, if a child is about to touch a hot stove, you may spank their hand real quick out of reflex, and while it may sting, it's a whole lot better than having them burn themselves. Although, I don't know if they would consider that spanking.

But overall, I think there is better ways to teach children than to automatically resort to spanking them. I was spanked as a child with a belt, but not a whole lot.

Punishments in general don't work very well, however I do still think it's needed now and then other wise your children could grow up being incredibly spoiled and such. I really wish they would do a study on the negative and positive effects of no punishment, because I believe a good balance is key.

I seem to remember seeing quite a lot of studies showing that it is ineffective and can cause children to have psychological problems or to perpetuate the abuse when they grow up.

It's a strange lesson to teach kids. I can hit you because I am in charge and bigger than you, but you can't hit back.

I made a post about this a few years ago. I'll say what I said then. I do not and never will support spanking. My parents spanked me and never got any permanent results from it. I stopped the bad behavior for an hour or so and would be back at it again after that.

I was spanked a lot when I was a young child until one day when my mom spanked me too hard, apparently. She told me later that she would lose her temper, and that one time, she left red welts. I don't think she ever spanked me again, from what she said. What she did after that was to reason with me, ground me, or deprive me of things I wanted or liked.

My wife and I almost never spanked our children. I did smack our daughter's hand once when she was very young. She was trying to stick a bobby pin into a plug socket. So as others have said, spanking is usually ineffective, but if the child is doing something that threatens their life and well being, like running out into a street, sometimes making that one, big exception may be the one thing that will make a lasting impression.

Raising our children, we'd give our kids time out, making them sit on a chair. As they got older we might deprive them of something like computer games, or telephone usage.

Studies that I read a number of years ago suggested that spanking children taught them that violence solves problems, and makes your children more likely to resort to violence. I'm sometimes skeptical of studies, but I knew I didn't want to physically hurt my children. It seemed like it was passing on a behavior of violence to solve one's immediate problems, and I would rather have my kids use their brains and reason things out rather than hitting.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Studies that I read a number of years ago suggested that spanking children taught them that violence solves problems, and makes your children more likely to resort to violence. I'm sometimes skeptical of studies, but I knew I didn't want to physically hurt my children. It seemed like it was passing on a behavior of violence to solve one's immediate problems, and I would rather have my kids use their brains and reason things out rather than hitting.
    Studies are often pretty hard to trust these days simply because many of them are biased while reporting their results. Sometimes you can even look at their methods and find the results to be entirely inconclusive. So I would say it's reasonable to be skeptical.

Something I know for certain is spanking your child in extreme circumstances such as when their life is being threatened is probably better than not doing anything.

I was not spanked growing up, nor was my older brother, and all the studies I've read suggest that it's harmful as already mentioned. I don't think people who have spanked their children are horrible people, but I think they've made a mistake and should consider changing their behavior in light of the evidence.

Also, aside from the studies themselves, I've never quite seen the logic of spanking. I feel like punishments ought to fit the crime. Grounding makes sense to me as a response to someone sneaking out, for example, because the concept is "if you can't be trusted, then we need to keep a closer eye on you, so stay here for a while." Similarly, things like losing privilege to play a game, use a toy, or whatever all make sense in response to a kid doing something wrong with that game or toy. But, what crime does spanking fit? I don't believe that people that hurt others should be hurt in turn because that just perpetuates a cycle of revenge, and while a particularly out of control kid might need to be physically restrained for a time in order to calm down, I don't see the point of hitting them afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    Something I know for certain is spanking your child in extreme circumstances such as when their life is being threatened is probably better than not doing anything.
    I don't believe that falls within the definition of spanking. If the person's life is in danger, you can hit them, tackle them, pull their legs out from under them, whatever it takes to save them. But my understanding of spanking is that it refers to the punishment of hitting a person after an act is already done strictly for the sake of punishing them. Maybe we have a different definition of the word?

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I don't believe that falls within the definition of spanking. If the person's life is in danger, you can hit them, tackle them, pull their legs out from under them, whatever it takes to save them. But my understanding of spanking is that it refers to the punishment of hitting a person after an act is already done strictly for the sake of punishing them. Maybe we have a different definition of the word?
    Well, that is the thing, the term spanking is very vague these days. Some people would consider hitting a child under any circumstances as spanking. But ya, besides those types of circumstances I don't see a purpose in spanking either. As I said in my first comment, there always is a better way to do punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Imagine that a kid gets into a fight at school, and when he comes home, he gets hit in the face by an angered parent. The parent sees no connection between hitting his child and the child's anger issues. Yet, it's something I saw all the time teaching in an inner city school. It would even happen in the principal's office when the parent was called in with their child. On a few rare occasions, the police officer was called into the office. What a world we live in!