Feral Neighbours

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozbub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I have new neighbours who are feral in every way possible. They scream like banshees at each other all the time, seriously I'm just waiting for one of them to slaughter the other. They play persistent thumping music day and night turning my place into an extension of their sub woofer, and to top it off they have yapping dog that barks constantly. Honestly I've had enough. It's distressing me heaps. My adult self is angry and hyper tense, and my little self is majorly upset. I'm just really struggling ATM. I'm all out of balance and becoming depressed. I have asked them to turn down their music when it's like midnight but doing this upsets me so much I can't sleep anyway. I'm so sorry for the rant but I just needed to write this down. Does anyone have any advice. I just don't want to do anything that would make it worse. :(

When we moved into my house in 2002 we didn't know about what kind of neighbors next door we were getting - criminal types. When the kids were younger, they'd mess with our mailbox; broke into a garage, stole my go-kart and abandoned it over a hill; and egged our house so bad part of the siding needed replaced. We had no proof but of course it was them. They're still a bunch of no-good druggie types who let their dog wander around the neighborhood; my dog might have attacked it the other day when it was in my yard had I not been able to brace myself (holding her leash) against a tree. The family was fighting loudly the other day - obviously they don't care if they air their dirty laundry outside for everyone to hear - and eventually the police showed up.

Ozbub, the worst thing you can do is to get personally involved. I'm not sure what police are like Down Under, but if they're anything like those in Greater London, ring them. Let them sort it out. It takes a little longer, of course, but eventually your neighbors should get the message.

I'm just worried if I call the cops, that everything will get more miserable. Should I involve other neighbours, surely I'm not the only one suffering.

Although just because the cops can have a talk with them doesn't mean they'll change their ways... I called the humane society on them about the dogs a number of years ago. He had a talk with them. I wanted them to take the damn things. The boxer still runs loose. It seems in most cases you either have to deal with them or move if you can...

I admit Maxx has the better of the argument. I like his 'go ninja' solution best.

Involving other neighbors depends on ... well, the other neighbors. If they sleep through tornados, have kids or animals running wild and their grass is several feet high, you may have a tough time convincing them to act in concert with you to turn down the volume on the folks next door.

I have to admit, guys: I quite enjoy living in a retirement community, even though I'm not retired and won't be for another 15 years or so. My next-door neighbor is 102 and doesn't make much noise.

Thanks guys, they did eventually turn it down and I got some sleep. But they'll be up again soon and the suns out so they'll start thumping again. Think I'll take my girl out today far away from the ferals. My neighbourhood used to be so nice and peaceful. Don't get me wrong, I love my music, but I don't pump it so loud that my neighbours have to hear it. Hahaha even the dogs quiet. But then I could have woken in a delusional state :tongueout:

Calling the police might be the next best thing. I am in the US but other places probably do something similar. If I call the police on a problem, they will come out but keep your name out of the conversation. For noise, the police can say they were just roaming the area and heard the noise, they don't have to mention your name.

I've had to deal with that a few times. I live in a house with some property, but we had some partiers for a back yard neighbor, but I......(and I pause for effect)....I am a rock musician with several large and loud sound systems. So I plugged my CD player into my 700 watt amp (sound system amp...quite different from a stereo) and two 15" Peeve speakers, aimed the speakers at my neighbors and played, full blast, Puccini opera. Oh how I love Puccini. Funny, they turned down almost immediately.

dogboy said:
...Puccini opera.

I like some of the music in Puccini's operas but I can image what your neighbors would have thought about it :) You could have given them some of Widor's or Bach's organ works too. LOL

I'm lucky my neighbors are just as crazy as me we party and play loud music and shoot guns all the time. One of my neighbor families has a fresh baby and another kid so after 11pm I turn the volume and bass down on my stereo. We're all farm raised tho, thus we are a bit crazy. My neighbor with the baby and kindergardener prefers hunting with a crossbow... That's sexy, and she's a hot blonde on top of it, lol.
Some days I tweak the settings on my stereo and rattle their windows with some NIN they don't care, I know because I asked them.

You can always call non-emergency ozbub, 131-444. They'll generally sort things out for you without much of a fuss.
We had neighbors pump music from 11-4 every morning and the coppers sorted it out.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm really not that comfortable talking to my neighbours but I'm going to try. I'm also going to check quietly with other neighbors to see how they feel, though even that is a stressful idea...I'm really not an out there kinda guy. I just know I have to do something, cause moving is not an option I even want to consider cause I've been working really hard to fix this place up just how I like, and actually I couldn't afford to anyway. It'll be ok, I'll work through it.

We had some troublesome neighbors living adjacent to my house a while back. One day they used a potato launcher to shoot bottle rockets. One strayed close to my house and almost caught me in the eye. I grabbed the remains, called up my buddy, told him to get his swat gear on, and meet me at our neighbors. We causally notified our neighbors that 'some troublesome brats were firing off firecrackers and that we were hunting them down.' They freaked out, said they didn't know anything, and stopped firing them off. Oh how great it is to have a friend who buys from military surplus stores.

Humans can suck at times, my newest neighbors kept their yard lights on all night annoying the other neighbors and myself so we all had a talk with them. The new neighbors installed brighter lights and sleeping is harder than ever.

BabyDenise said:
I like some of the music in Puccini's operas but I can image what your neighbors would have thought about it :) You could have given them some of Widor's or Bach's organ works too. LOL

Haha....I suppose they hear those any way. I also have a large, Infinity surround sound system and I love to hear things at concert level. Hey.....maybe I'm the bad, noisy neighbor? I don't do it often, but sometimes you just gotta' jam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back