View Poll Results: Diaper or nappy?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nappy

    22 26.51%
  • Diaper

    61 73.49%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Nappy or diaper

  1. #1
    D1aperBOY

    Default Nappy or diaper

    What do you call it?
    Diaper or nappy?
    is it just NZ that calls it nappy?

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by nappluver View Post
    What do you call it?
    Diaper or nappy?
    is it just NZ that calls it nappy?
    Nappy is British for Diaper, so AUS, UK, NZ, etc.

    I prefer Diaper, sounds less funny to me.

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default

    Commonwealth countries such as the UK, New Zealand and Australia call it a nappy from folding napkin, diaper is usually an American term I believe it first originated from a Shakespeare novel, Taming of The Shrew.

    As for me I grew up in the UK but I mainly use the word diaper.

  5. #5

    Default

    I honestly prefer Nappy to Diaper, mostly because of how it sounds, But I have used both words.

  6. #6

    Default


    Nope the temptations too much, I going to have scratch the itch.

    It not our fault that you Americans can't speak English. There I said it.

    and Yes it was just to just to provoke a reaction.

    we have so many words for things as long as we understand each other then it fine.

    but I do have nappy's and I suck a dummy like a proper English baby, hee, hee.

    I am going to get some stick for this.


  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by sisi View Post

    Nope the temptations too much, I going to have scratch the itch.

    It not our fault that you Americans can't speak English. There I said it.

    and Yes it was just to just to provoke a reaction.

    we have so many words for things as long as we understand each other then it fine.

    but I do have nappy's and I suck a dummy like a proper English baby, hee, hee.

    I am going to get some stick for this.

    Now stop it Sissi r they'll throw their toys out the pram and take their frilly bonnet off

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by sisi View Post

    Nope the temptations too much, I going to have scratch the itch.

    It not our fault that you Americans can't speak English. There I said it.

    and Yes it was just to just to provoke a reaction.

    we have so many words for things as long as we understand each other then it fine.

    but I do have nappy's and I suck a dummy like a proper English baby, hee, hee.

    I am going to get some stick for this.

    I am sorry but I just can't help laugh at what you said about Americans not speaking English, also, I truly feel that it's correct as long as someone understands us, we should be okay.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonstah View Post
    Commonwealth countries such as the UK, New Zealand and Australia call it a nappy from folding napkin, diaper is usually an American term I believe it first originated from a Shakespeare novel, Taming of The Shrew.

    As for me I grew up in the UK but I mainly use the word diaper.
    The Taming of the Shrew was the earliest known use, but I doubt it originated there. Diapering refers to a repeated pattern of geometric shapes, usually diamonds, and diaper-cloth was a cotton or linen fabric exhibiting such a pattern. In the context that it was used in the play, it would seem that Shakespeare was describing what we would call a towel. Which figures, since even today, terry-cloth is used for both nappies and towels.

    And in my case, nappy. I consciously avoid the use of the word diaper, since it always struck me that being so accustomed to the term that you reflexively use it in a situation where any other Briton would say nappy is somewhat suspicious. Especially if you have no children and have never lived in the US.

  10. #10

    Default

    Yeah I knew I wouldn't be 100% correct but I was on the right lines

Similar Threads

  1. Should I say diaper or nappy?
    By SillySwampert in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2014, 10:40
  2. how did it start with diaper / nappy :)
    By babyscotty in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Oct-2011, 01:45
  3. how did you get to be diaper/nappy
    By babyscotty in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2011, 18:15
  4. diaper/nappy help
    By walkinz in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-Sep-2011, 21:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.