Took my little one to a concert Monday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalogRTO

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
She's not that little anymore, she'll be twelve on Saturday. Even so, we went to see Volbeat playing in Modesto. Just had general admission tickets, got there a little over an hour before doors opened so we could get a good spot in line and a good spot inside to watch from.

My wife waits in line while we go up and look at this table and canopy a local radio station had set up. Turns out they were giving away a guitar signed by Black Stone Cherry (one of the opening bands), so my daughter and I filled out a couple entry forms and dropped them in the box. I guess they had also given away meet and greet entry for the show via their website, and a couple of winners hadn't shown up. One of the guys turns to the other and says, "Give me a number!" "69!" was the response, of course. They go to the front of the line and start counting off people while my daughter and I head back to be with my wife. I tell my wife there's a shot we might get to meet the band, she rolls her eyes and says, "Yeah, right."

They get to lady in front of us, say, "68," then turn to my daughter and tell her that two of us get to go in and meet the band before the show. She is jazzed as all get out! So we get in early, she gets to meet all the band members and we get pictures with them, she has them sign her T-shirt and we get a poster signed by them, then head in and get front row spots just slightly off center from the stage. My wife gets in, finds us, and we hang out to wait for opening bands.

A group called 'Monster Truck' opens, they're OK. They're a bit late getting on, security guard in front of us says it's because lead singer couldn't be found and the group is completely trashed. Not too bad, anyway. They play half an hour and leave, they re-set the stage for next band, Black Stone Cherry. They are a damn good rock band, and played an awesome set. Must admit I liked them a lot, excellent playing. Of course they see the little kid in the front row at the rails and she gets guitar picks from all of them.

After they finish clearing and setting up after the second set, the guy from the radio station comes on stage to hype the crowd up. Spends several minutes talking, then goes to toss T-shirts out to the crowd. He's got four, tosses three pretty hard, then with the fourth, comes over and hands it to my daughter directly.

Volbeat comes on and just hammer it home. Great energy from the band, they played almost two hours solid. Michael, Rob, and Kaspar all see my daughter and wave to her, tossing her guitar picks. She keeps a few of them, but also hands some to other people around us. At the end of the show, as the band is saying their goodbyes, the drummer, Jon, comes up and hands my daughter one of his drumsticks he had been playing with (you can tell by how chewed up it is that it was well used).

So, on sheer luck alone, we got in early to meet the band and get stuff autographed, got front row spots, and then the 'young and cute' angle worked well for my daughter to get plenty of stuff from the bands.

She's a lucky little s--t, but I'm not complaining.

AnalogRTO said:
She's not that little anymore, she'll be twelve on Saturday. Even so, we went to see Volbeat playing in Modesto. Just had general admission tickets, got there a little over an hour before doors opened so we could get a good spot in line and a good spot inside to watch from.

My wife waits in line while we go up and look at this table and canopy a local radio station had set up. Turns out they were giving away a guitar signed by Black Stone Cherry (one of the opening bands), so my daughter and I filled out a couple entry forms and dropped them in the box. I guess they had also given away meet and greet entry for the show via their website, and a couple of winners hadn't shown up. One of the guys turns to the other and says, "Give me a number!" "69!" was the response, of course. They go to the front of the line and start counting off people while my daughter and I head back to be with my wife. I tell my wife there's a shot we might get to meet the band, she rolls her eyes and says, "Yeah, right."

They get to lady in front of us, say, "68," then turn to my daughter and tell her that two of us get to go in and meet the band before the show. She is jazzed as all get out! So we get in early, she gets to meet all the band members and we get pictures with them, she has them sign her T-shirt and we get a poster signed by them, then head in and get front row spots just slightly off center from the stage. My wife gets in, finds us, and we hang out to wait for opening bands.

A group called 'Monster Truck' opens, they're OK. They're a bit late getting on, security guard in front of us says it's because lead singer couldn't be found and the group is completely trashed. Not too bad, anyway. They play half an hour and leave, they re-set the stage for next band, Black Stone Cherry. They are a damn good rock band, and played an awesome set. Must admit I liked them a lot, excellent playing. Of course they see the little kid in the front row at the rails and she gets guitar picks from all of them.

After they finish clearing and setting up after the second set, the guy from the radio station comes on stage to hype the crowd up. Spends several minutes talking, then goes to toss T-shirts out to the crowd. He's got four, tosses three pretty hard, then with the fourth, comes over and hands it to my daughter directly.

Volbeat comes on and just hammer it home. Great energy from the band, they played almost two hours solid. Michael, Rob, and Kaspar all see my daughter and wave to her, tossing her guitar picks. She keeps a few of them, but also hands some to other people around us. At the end of the show, as the band is saying their goodbyes, the drummer, Jon, comes up and hands my daughter one of his drumsticks he had been playing with (you can tell by how chewed up it is that it was well used).

So, on sheer luck alone, we got in early to meet the band and get stuff autographed, got front row spots, and then the 'young and cute' angle worked well for my daughter to get plenty of stuff from the bands.

She's a lucky little s--t, but I'm not complaining.

Wow, you had a great day! How lucky can you get. Your daughter must have been on cloud 9.

Though we didn't have anything cool happen to us like that, my wife and I took our daughter and her family which included two grandchildren, to the movie, Jungle Book. We went to an Imax theater and saw it in 3-D. It was an awesome movie. More exciting was that my wife walked the whole distance from the car, through the theater, and up four ramps, all the while using her prosthetic leg.

She's not had much stamina for a long time, so this was a big accomplishment. So in a way, you and I had a great weekend. I'm glad you had this experience, especially in that it was something you and your wife could make happen for your daughter. You'll remember it forever.

dogboy said:
Wow, you had a great day! How lucky can you get. Your daughter must have been on cloud 9.

Though we didn't have anything cool happen to us like that, my wife and I took our daughter and her family which included two grandchildren, to the movie, Jungle Book. We went to an Imax theater and saw it in 3-D. It was an awesome movie. More exciting was that my wife walked the whole distance from the car, through the theater, and up four ramps, all the while using her prosthetic leg.

She's not had much stamina for a long time, so this was a big accomplishment. So in a way, you and I had a great weekend. I'm glad you had this experience, especially in that it was something you and your wife could make happen for your daughter. You'll remember it forever.
You've posted plenty of times about how your wife has been doing, so I can understand how excited you were to have her doing as well as she did! I'm so glad to hear she did so well! Congratulations!

Thanks Analog. I'm glad you had that sort of great band experience. For 15 years I've been on the other side of it, literally on the stage with the other guys of our band. It was always exciting. At the same time, we appreciated our audiences. If they were into us, we played all the harder, if that makes sense. We would have been playing in a vacuum without an audience.

And yes, it was so wonderful to see my wife really happy. Thanks for noticing.

Great experience! I've heard about Black Stone Cherry, don't they play a sort of 80's hard rock? Never heard about the other ones you mention, must only be known in the US.

Enviado do meu C1905 através de Tapatalk

Wow! That must have been awesome. I'm not much on concerts, but black stone cherry is on my top 5 to see. Zendot, they play a sort of hard southern rock. At least what I like by them

Black Stone Cherry and Volbeat that must've been awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back