Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
You Know the Word dummy, the British Word for pacifier. I live in Britian and everytime someone says something like "wheres Dylan,s dummy." Or something with the Word dummy, i cringe! I like my "dummy" but i dont Want to call if that! I dont mind Dodi so much but still its Silly! Anyone Else hate the Name dummy?

I hate the word dummy too and I'm from England as well, I hate the word "binky" even more.. I call it paci or soothie..

I like paci

LittleBelle said:
I hate the word dummy too and I'm from England as well, I hate the word "binky" even more.. I call it paci or soothie..
Not a fan of dummy either. I like binky though, it has a cute sound to it.

Completely agree, always go for paci

Agree, that word feels so degrading but I thought it was all in my own head cause in my first language "dum" means "stupid" (and not just a little bit stupid, no - a moron basically).

I don't mind the word for dummy, for me it's nappy, like I like the word when it's said by someone who knows or in a conversation with am ABDL but when other people use it it's weird I dunno why

While I don't mind the word "dummy", I'm just more partial to words like paci and binky for the cute factor

magnolia said:
Agree, that word feels so degrading but I thought it was all in my own head cause in my first language "dum" means "stupid" (and not just a little bit stupid, no - a moron basically).

We Autistics despise the word "DUMMY", due to its derogatory connotation regarding people like us.

I hate the word stuffie. They're my stuffed animals, which I refer to as "puppy", or "bear". When people ask me if I have stuffies, I cringe.

Dummy kind of reminds me of like those creepy ventriloquist dummies :eek:. I prefer binky

Doesn't bother me at all. In the context of pacifiers, dummy is just a name that I associate with a physical item that doesn't mean anything more or anything less than pacifier.

SurfinBeachBum said:
I hate the word stuffie. They're my stuffed animals, which I refer to as "puppy", or "bear". When people ask me if I have stuffies, I cringe.

Oh YES, agree with this too - the word "stuffies" sounds like something from a horror movie!!!

- - - Updated - - -

caitianx said:
We Autistics despise the word "DUMMY", due to its derogatory connotation regarding people like us.

Our society is awful when it comes to these things, makes me really sad. I have a dear friend who is autistic and he is extremely intelligent and funny. He is actually my first experience with autistic persons so when I read the word autistic I automatically interpret it to "super smart".

I prefer dummy over paci. Paci is fine, but I was brought up using the word dummy. Don't know why, but I really don't like binky.
I prefer nappy over diaper, but really either is fine.
I'm not a big fan of plushie, and prefer stuffie instead.
I think it's the Australian upbringing and the way we talk.

I call mine either paci or binky

caitianx said:

Every culture has its own derogatory terms that do not apply in others. In the UK the word dummy is not offensive just like for instance fanny means two completely different things in the US and UK.

Dummy just comes from the word dumb originally meaning someone who cant speak, so a dummy is something used to basically shut your child up. Pacifier just means to calm something so its just a different approach taking to naming the object.

Now as for Nappy and Diaper technically nappy is more correct as it is a shortened joining of the words Baby and Napkin whereas diaper is a type of diamond weaved cloth, so basically a disposable diaper not being made of diaper cloth cannot be a diaper lol.

That being said I can and do use all terms interchangeably, I think if i was talking about real babies then i would use the UK terms but if I was talking about littles then I would probably use the US terms don't know why, I have also always felt a little uncomfortable say the word nappy out loud but thats just me.

No problem to call it in your way. I dislike words dummy and binky, but I'm not english native speaker. I call it "tete." It's not from any language. In en prefere paci.

caitianx said:

I am a autistic so i second that one, I honestly prefer Paci.

For me personally, I only found out about the word pacifier after finding this community. So for me, when I think of a 'pacifier' it doesn't have the babyish connotation that the word 'dummy' does. For me to say I have a pacifier is no where near as embarrassing as saying I have a dummy, so I guess I use the word pacifier when I'm trying to seem adult and distance myself from the reality of what it is.

I personally enjoy the embarrassment though, so... yeah. /shrugs

i have to admit to liking the words dummy, nappy and rubbers, but that is what i was brought up hearing from my own parents and from parents of other children, and yes i am English, just a bit older than most of the usual users :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back