Medium or large?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowes

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey everybody,
I was wondering what everyone's opinion on what size would be best for me, I have a 36" waist so normally choose medium which is what most companies advise, but I read somewhere (can't remember where) that some people found the large is a better fit,
What's everyone's thoughts on this, would they just drown me or is it worth a try?

I enjoy a larger diaper that I can stuff more. If you want to try stuffing with boosters, cloth, or even a baby diaper with holes to allow pass through, then a large will work a lot better for that. Just remember to tape using the x technique so you get a nice tight fit. I would just start with some samples and see if you like them enough to pay the price since large is usually a few less per pack than the medium.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Fascinating said:
"Just remember to tape using the x technique"

Explain this, please.

I wear a size 32-34 pant, and wear a large. I've found they work WAAAAAAY better for me, especially at night. the top tape needs to go lower on the front tape landing zone, and the lower tape often doesant go on the landing zone at all.

It depends on the nappy. I have a 30" waist lying down and the large Dry 24/7 was way to large in the leg, but large Bellissimos are just right.

Andrewgdfw said:
Explain this, please.
Pull the bottom tapes up and the top tapes down and they form an "X". If your hips are larger than your waist and the nappy is high enough, the top will hook over your hip bones keeping the nappy from sagging.

Those are some big ass tapes!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Well just keep in mind that it's easier to wear an oversize diaper than an undersize diaper. "can't get it taped" is a much bigger issue than "swimming in it". So when in doubt, go large. I have a 39" waist, meaning my hips get out to around 42", and the lower tapes have to take the "scenic route" up and around to their spot on the front and so require more distance. Some diapers are marketed showing total width the top tapes will fit, with no care for the lower tapes requiring more distance, and that can lead you to buy diapers that "should fit" but that don't.

My rule of thumb is "measure your beltline. Add five inches. (more if you have wide hips) That's the size you need. So if you have 38" hips, and a medium says it goes to 40", don't expect it to fit. Try to find something that says it'll fit at least 43" if you can. Not all diapers indicate their size like this, but it's a problem with enough of them that this is the safer attitude to take. Abena and Northshore I can confirm are that way.

Large. I am also a 36 waist and for EVER have ordered Medium and thought that was normal until I tried a large once... couldn't believe how much better of a fit it was. Go Large.

Come to think I typically go large but went medium with dry 24/7s despite being a 42 or so, I think it'll be alright, the larges were so large they leaked from the legs I found.

From the above discussions, I seem to conclude this: " a waist is a terrible thing to mind " ....

I would do large

Fit is an incredibly subjective matter, it depends on the brand (each one interprets sizes their own ways... Small 24/7s are almost bigger than some other brands' mediums, for instance) and on your body figure (wider/smaller hips, bubble bum or slender figure, etc...). It also depends whether you prefer a snug fit or something a lil more relaxed that allows you to put a booster (or two) in your diaper for some added poof.

With a 36" waist you're probably still within the range of those mediums that fit comfy, like 24/7s or Abenas, while you probably want to get a large if you're thinking about brands that tend to have a smaller fit, such as, typically but not limited to, the more ABish ones. Best thing you can do is order a few samples and find out for yourself, you don't want to invest big bucks on a considerable amount of some premium diapers just to find out you don't really like the way they fit.

quattrus said:
Fit is an incredibly subjective matter, it depends on the brand (each one interprets sizes their own ways... Small 24/7s are almost bigger than some other brands' mediums, for instance) and on your body figure (wider/smaller hips, bubble bum or slender figure, etc...). It also depends whether you prefer a snug fit or something a lil more relaxed that allows you to put a booster (or two) in your diaper for some added poof.

With a 36" waist you're probably still within the range of those mediums that fit comfy, like 24/7s or Abenas, while you probably want to get a large if you're thinking about brands that tend to have a smaller fit, such as, typically but not limited to, the more ABish ones. Best thing you can do is order a few samples and find out for yourself, you don't want to invest big bucks on a considerable amount of some premium diapers just to find out you don't really like the way they fit.
I ordered a case of medium dry 24/7's recently as the larges are huge and I'm a 42 size, here's hopping they're not too small.

I'm a 32, so medium is a no-brainer, but I've been known to buy size large and pad-up underneath. ^^

This is very hard to answer. It really depends on the diaper, as sizes vary greatly across brands. I use size L for some brands, and size M for others.

All I can tell you with certainty is that a diaper that is too large is more likely to leak. So going for the larger option by default isn't always the best idea.

thanks! makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Kenn said:
It depends on the nappy. I have a 30" waist lying down and the large Dry 24/7 was way to large in the leg, but large Bellissimos are just right.

Pull the bottom tapes up and the top tapes down and they form an "X". If your hips are larger than your waist and the nappy is high enough, the top will hook over your hip bones keeping the nappy from sagging.

thanks!

I am down to a 36 now and had a m4 on the other night all night and it was great but now in a large xe plus 4 and it's good also. Try samples to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back