Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Music?

Default Favorite Music?

Figured this would be an interesting forum topic; what's everyone's favorite music/artist that they like to listen to?

I like lots of things but lately I've been listening to lots of prog metal due to Priest's (un)holy influences, as well as lots of classical (namely Gustav Holst and Bach)

I like speed, progressive, thrash and metalcore a lot (Dream Theater, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Megadeth, Killswitch Engage, Inflames, etc.). I also like other styles, such as New Age or Celtic (relaxing material).
    Last edited by Motorbreath; 03-Mar-2009 at 07:43.

Black Keys
    Black Sabbath
    Flogging Molly
    Gov't Mule
    Iron Maiden
    James Brown
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Kings of Leon
    Lamb of God
    Marilyn Manson
    The Offspring
    Porcupine Tree
    Presidents of the United States of America
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Social Distortion
    Umphrey's McGee
    The Who

Post Punk, Punk, Alternative. Recently, Classical.

My list is actually rather huge, so I'll just stick to writing favourite genres.

Already posted this in a playlist forum but the majority of my music tastes can be summed up by the playlist of the best local radio station ever!

MPR: Radio Listening: The Current

89.3 The Current, All types of music, no commercials, 24/7 365. Only two 5 day drives a year. Amazing is the only word to describe it.

I like old rock, traditional rock, like Springsteen. Also Billy Joel, etc. I played in a rock band, so we did a lot of 60's, 70's and 80's. My real love is classical as I am a classical performer on piano and organ. I play a lot of J. S. Bach, as well as some of the French composers. I dearly love Chopin, as well as the Impressionist composers. And then there's Mahler!

In every music thread, I've never seen anyone post anything about Blind Guardian. They are my favorit band and no one has ever heard of them!

I really love the old rock and roll of the late 50's and early 60's, and also the early country western singers, like anything from before 1980/85 or so, but there are a few exceptions that have come along later, but anything after that is all what I call DW (short for dickweed) music.

I'm very critical of music. It's got to have a discernible rhythm and a tune that will stand on it's own without the words to accompany it, and it must have decent lyrics that rhyme, but also make sense, and aren't something stupid like most country is today. I used to be a hard core country fan, but today's "artists", and I use that term loosely, have really turned my stomach, and ear. People like Reba McIntire, with her wayyyy too fake southern drawl, or what I call her whine. And I know that a lot of people like Willie Nelson, but in my opinion, that man couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. He can write like nobody else, but his voice just grates on my ears. And I don't even know the names of most of the whiners, er, uh, I mean singers today.

Am I alone in this opinion of today's country music? I know I'm very critical, but I also know that I can't sing or carry a tune myself, and I would never try, or subject anyone else to my attempts at it.

I also listen to other types of music these days, because of the crappy turn that country music has taken. I'll listen to classical, some current rock stuff, and what a local station calls light rock.

My wife just loves Fleetwood Mac, and I really like a lot of their stuff too, and Stevie Nicks can do no wrong in my wife's eyes, but she is another one that has that voice that's just like fingernails on a chalk board to me. Miss Monotone is what my nickname is for her.

I absolutely hate rap, (nothing personal here) I just can't stand that type of "music", and I think that term should be applied loosely here.

Another thing I don't like is how some people think that everybody should listen to whatever they are into because they play it so loud that it rattles the windows in houses 3 miles away. My blood pressure instantly goes up 30 points when I hear that stuff. I keep my music low enough that it doesn't bother anyone else, and I only expect the same of others.

Sorry if I've turned this into a small rant on my part, but I can't discuss music without getting into that as well.

I listen to mostly Indie, Emo, and Screamo not that any of those labels actually mean anything anymore lol. Pretty good list of bands I like in my profile. I pretty much am a really big fan of screaming I think it sounds awesome.