Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Welll..............

  1. #1

    Default Welll..............

    I've gotten my resume back, but the opening I was hoping for was filled. Sigh. I also tried to getting a new credit card to no real success. I don't seem to be having much luck lately. I'm somehow not depressed by all of this, but I can't help feeling slightly frustrated.

  2. #2

    Default

    I know that feeling.

    I got laid off in 2014 and over 200 applications later, nothing :|

    I hope we both get a job soon. Good luck man

  3. #3

    Default

    You say you're trying to get a new credit card, do you already have one with a balance on it already or are you trying to work on your credit with your first credit card? If this is the case, you'd need to try getting a secure credit card. You deposit $300 to get a $300 credit line. Some secure credit cards require less and gives you a higher limit. I know Bank of America's credit card with a checking account is a $99 deposit and gives you a $500 line of credit. If you'd like advice for building credit shoot me a message.

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Default

    Bummer about the job, but that's par for the course in job-hunting. You have no way of knowing how far along the process is, and many times companies will post jobs as a matter of policy or to fulfill a legal obligation, even if they've already got an internal candidate selected. Your best bet will be to create and bookmark a few job searches--on LinkedIn, Craigslist, etc.--and make a habit of glancing at them daily.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Bummer about the job, but that's par for the course in job-hunting. You have no way of knowing how far along the process is, and many times companies will post jobs as a matter of policy or to fulfill a legal obligation, even if they've already got an internal candidate selected. Your best bet will be to create and bookmark a few job searches--on LinkedIn, Craigslist, etc.--and make a habit of glancing at them daily.
    The thing here is, this town is so small it's hard to find a job outside the fast food industry. Outside that are the oil field jobs. They pay well, but I'm not meant for manual labor. I'm too small for that kind of work. So I either wait for another job to open up in Verizon like I wanted. I was thinking about trying the town over, but most job listing are asking for residence of that town. At this point I guess I'm only going to wait and hope for the best.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    The thing here is, this town is so small it's hard to find a job outside the fast food industry. Outside that are the oil field jobs. They pay well, but I'm not meant for manual labor. I'm too small for that kind of work. So I either wait for another job to open up in Verizon like I wanted. I was thinking about trying the town over, but most job listing are asking for residence of that town. At this point I guess I'm only going to wait and hope for the best.
    I'd suggest that you probably won't know what you want until you see it. Of course, you can search over a wider area and find many jobs that you don't want or aren't qualified for, but if you search for jobs only in your small town, you might miss a golden opportunity next door. Better to spend some time manually filtering a broader search than to scope your search too narrowly and just not find anything at all.

    I live near an oil refinery, and the oil business has quite a variety of jobs attached to it. If you watch long enough, you'll probably see some non-manual-labor type jobs go by, such as process control, security, ...all kinds of stuff. In those cases, the bigger factor may not be the type of work, but the time of day. The oil industry doesn't quit at 5pm, it's a 24x7x365 thing. So you'll see a lot of night-shift and weekend stuff, and you'd probably have to put up with that for a while until you gained seniority. ....although if you're looking at a support-type role at Verizon, things might not be much different. Those can be good jobs, but you may need to be flexible to get in the door.

    Anyway... The point is: You won't regret casting a wider net.

  7. #7

    Default

    I want to pose a question to everyone. I'm curious. Does it seem reasonable that companies and businesses ask for so much time out of a person? I get they pay us for that time, but for so much of it. It doesn't seem worth it. Say you work 7 to 8 hours a day, Then you sleep for 8 to 9 of it. Round up that's 17 hours out of the day. Only leaving people with 7 hours to yourself. That seems insane to me. How don't other see this? I personally think we could do more with our time. I think we split shifts in half increase pay rate, and be able to do more with our time. What do others think of this idea?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I found a job that I think I'll like it's a town over, but it looks good. I hope I can get it.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    I want to pose a question to everyone. I'm curious. Does it seem reasonable that companies and businesses ask for so much time out of a person? I get they pay us for that time, but for so much of it. It doesn't seem worth it. Say you work 7 to 8 hours a day, Then you sleep for 8 to 9 of it. Round up that's 17 hours out of the day. Only leaving people with 7 hours to yourself. That seems insane to me. How don't other see this? I personally think we could do more with our time. I think we split shifts in half increase pay rate, and be able to do more with our time. What do others think of this idea?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I found a job that I think I'll like it's a town over, but it looks good. I hope I can get it.
    Glad to hear it! I wish you well.

    Regarding hours and all: Well, you get weekends, too. But yeah, I hear ya. I was a software engineer for 16 years (up until a year ago) and I also have young kids, so... that was like a 24x7 job! I often found myself staying up really late and getting very little sleep, because it was the only way I could find time to myself. That was bad. After that experience, an 8am-5pm job sounded like heaven, but then I lucked into a really wacky 10am-4:30pm job, so... They're out there.

  9. #9

    Default

    I myself have to work 6 days out of the week, I get overtime every week. Sometimes I get 8 hours of overtime. I'm usually so tired by my day off and really don't feel like doing anything beside sleep or watch a movie.

    Today I tried to quit, but I couldn't get myself to speak the words. I just dealt with shift of only me and two others. We had someone else, but he was useless in the long haul. I had to cover for one of the others because something else was needed done at the same time. All throughout the night I had the constant thought of quitting, and when I got my boss on the phone I couldn't say "I quit" As I worked I felt nauseous. It didn't go away till I left a few minutes ago. Before I left I asked my boss if we could be backup for Mondays since I felt we needed it. My boss just replied back with "You've been spoiled by having a full staff" I was told we won't be getting any help on Monday. I really don't know why I didn't say I quit. I just couldn't say it.

  10. #10

    Default

    I think we all have situations where our good situations:bad situations graph plunges deep into bad territory. You're thinking very cogently about this and I think you'll get through it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.