Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Life Advice For Working?

Question Seeking Life Advice For Working?

Hey everyone, I have a little bit of a problem.

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving into an apartment at the end of the Fall 2016 semester. We've budgeted literally every expense into an Excel spreadsheet and figured the exact "break even" amount that both of us have to make to equally contribute. She's currently working and saving large chunks of money and I'm currently looking for a solid job after doing lots of freelance stuff and odd jobs.

Here's my problem. I've held down "real" jobs before, namely a certain American big-box retail chain, which may or may not have a bulls-eye logo. The thing I couldn't stand was an 8 hour shift, as it left me with WAY too much time with my thoughts. Beyond that, the monotonous labor day in and day out was really doing a number on my mental state, as I am diagnosed with depression, O.C.D., and anxiety (not trying to fish for pity, sorry).

The cycle I was stuck in was

1. I'm very broke and very depressed.
    2. Oh great, I have work today.
    3. I'm at work stocking and straightening shelves, my O.C.D. is in overdrive.
    4. This is going to be the rest of my life isn't? I'm stuck here.
    5. Clocking out, this job sucks, and I am very depressed.
    6. Start at step 1.

I've identified that the actual setting of the work plays a huge role in my outlook towards it, so I've gone out of my way to apply places that were smaller (both in physical size and corporate structure), friendlier, and more laid back. The only real thing I'm still worried about is how do I handle an eight hour shift without going crazy? When I get bored, my thoughts really start to spiral after a little while.

Overall though, I'm staying up to date on my meds, seeing my doctor regularly, and generally handling my symptoms very well right now. So there's the good news! I'm just at a transitional point in my life and need some advice from my older peers who have held down jobs and moved out before.

Thanks for reading, and I really appreciate the help <3
    Last edited by Legolas; 07-Apr-2016 at 02:13. Reason: punctuation

Hello Legolas.

With a diagnosis of depression and the like, now is the time to work the system for your advantage.

Look at your state and county resource such as Department of Health and Human Services. There is usually several work source help and placement services that you can use.

I did it and they help write a good resume and have an in with some companies that will hire "special needs" people for the tax breaks.

That would at least be a start and then things come up from there.

Good Luck

Egor

Misatoismywaifu

I regularly feel the same way my friend, i usually just try to ignore it. A lot of people argue the effectiveness of Saint Johns Wort but it helps my PTSD and anxiety so I'd recommend this is your not on anything ^^

Good advise from above, especially egor. The only thing I can suggest is that you look for a different kind of job, one that has you doing different things from hour to hour. I'm not sure what that might be. I've always been a professional musician, and one of my first jobs after college was accompanying about a dozen choirs at a 3200 membership church. It was not unusual for me to either practice or play, 8 hours a day. It could get kind of lonely with just practicing, either at the organ or on a piano in a room.

Eventually I found a job where I was both music director and organist/pianist. I would practice 4 or 5 hours a day, spend time going over anthems and solo pieces, and direct a number of different choirs. There may be equivalents in other jobs.

Maybe look in to a temp agency where you could do different jobs for short stints. You may enjoy the variety or you may end up finding a job that suits you and you would like to stick with.

Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousFortitude View Post
    I regularly feel the same way my friend, i usually just try to ignore it. A lot of people argue the effectiveness of Saint Johns Wort but it helps my PTSD and anxiety so I'd recommend this is your not on anything ^^
    He mentioned he's on medication, so taking a supplement would be a no-no before checking with a doctor/pharmacist. I know St. John's wort interacts with some medicines.

Thank you for all the ideas everyone! I would love to respond to each post individually, but I'd rather not write a text wall. I've been watching the thread develop and putting thought into each and every response. Starting tomorrow, I'm gonna start editing up my resume and get to work finding work!

One thing that I am going to try with my new-found vigor is looking into the Cisco certification classes at my college. I've always been casually intrigued by networking since high school, and think it might be a cool way to scratch my inner Comp. Sci. geek itch! I figure as long as I'm here I might as well experiment with new things, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    He mentioned he's on medication, so taking a supplement would be a no-no before checking with a doctor/pharmacist. I know St. John's wort interacts with some medicines.
    This absolutely though. My med balance is actually very stable and effective right now (Grazie Padre)!

Thanks for the help every one <3

Ive done the indoors retail type jobs and whilst i enjoyed it for the first year or so i just cant bear it these days.
    8 hours in retail was a real chore, yet working outdoors or in a factory type environment doing 12 hour shifts seem like nothing to me
    Of all the jobs ive had i prefer the hands on outdoor type roles as i feel alot more free during the day, almost always doing something different and in a different location each day.
    I also love manufacturing/assembly type roles as im always kept busy, i find being a little ocd when doing these type jobs works well because i know im going to do everything as best as i can do and almost all these bosses appreciate work that is done meticulously with care and attention to detail.
    The bonus is these roles are also generally better paid than retail and there is usually a radio playing somewhere which for me helps the day go super fast too.
    Best advice is no matter what you do once you move out just make darn sure you stick to that budget!
    I hope you find something you enjoy, all the best

Ah Good old Dayton Hudson Corp, slaveing for their profit i feel for you brother, supposedly they are going to 11 dollars an hour when Wally world goes to 10, but i dont believe it, i worked for them a long time ago,and attended a mandatory managers meeting in Mass, it was mandatory yet they never paid our travel expense the bums. Retail can be very draining but it sure beats homelesness and poverty. Look at it this way it gives you money till a better gig comes along and you can go paded to work without a problem.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    One thing that I am going to try with my new-found vigor is looking into the Cisco certification classes at my college. I've always been casually intrigued by networking since high school, and think it might be a cool way to scratch my inner Comp. Sci. geek itch! I figure as long as I'm here I might as well experiment with new things, right?
    Generally speaking, IT is always a good field to try to get into in the long run (especially once you have a few qualifications - education is key in an ever-changing job market ). It's fairly well paid (compared to other fields), and no two days are the same; people will always need computers and not know how to use them meaning that every day presents a new challenge. All you have to remember is that if someone asks how you do any task in IT, tell them that all you do is "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow", and watch their eyes glaze over until they google what that means and realize that you've just quoted Doctor Who. (I would add an evil-looking smiley to express my dark sense of humour here, but ADISC doesn't seem to have any, so I'll leave it up to your imagination.)

Hope you find the job you want!