Status
Not open for further replies.

aNerdyAnorak

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
Hi, I have Aspergers. It has formed quite a significant part of my personality and has made me who I am ( a monumental nerd that is :cool:). I have to say I can't imagine life without it, however I cannot speak for everyone else on the spectrum.

I don't have a diagnosis but I have my suspicions. My social skills are poor (although I didn't really get to develop them because I was always homeschooled). I have issues with facial expressions and some with eye contact, I'm rather clumsy and I learned to tie my shoes and ride a bike later than most kids. I also flap my hands sometimes. I got fired from my last job because apparently I wasn't friendly and cheerful enough, so if I do have autism it hasn't exactly done me any favors in life.

KimbaStarshine said:
I don't have a diagnosis but I have my suspicions. My social skills are poor (although I didn't really get to develop them because I was always homeschooled). I have issues with facial expressions and some with eye contact, I'm rather clumsy and I learned to tie my shoes and ride a bike later than most kids. I also flap my hands sometimes. I got fired from my last job because apparently I wasn't friendly and cheerful enough, so if I do have autism it hasn't exactly done me any favors in life.
I perfectly understand Kimba, unfortunately for some it doesn't have many pros. I have suffered from depression in the past because of having no friends. However I wouldn't have intense interests in things such as planes or tv if I wasn't on the spectrum. Also it has allowed me to cherish the few real friends which I do have. But it does have its drawbacks such as extreme shyness and social awkwardness.

jAMIEISAWESOME said:
Hi, I have Aspergers. It has formed quite a significant part of my personality and has made me who I am ( a monumental nerd that is :cool:). I have to say I can't imagine life without it, however I cannot speak for everyone else on the spectrum.

I am 58 years old and I have both Asperger's Syndrome and Cerebral Palsy.
There are a whole bunch of us on the Autism Spectrum here on ADISC.

Unsure, but may I'm from this club...

Mild Aspergers, luckily, I mostly seem NT.

I could easily pass as a neurotypical with social difficulties, I notice body language, I just can't understand any of it, and can hold up a conversation quite well as long as I get to know the person quite well, and can understand sarcasm to a point if I know the person quite well.

Lets say, I blend in with the crowd, same with my dad but he hasn't been diagnosed with aspergers, he seems pretty neurotypical but It's obvious that he has some form of it.

Interesting facts about me is, I have very good long term memory, I've got a multiple range of interests, I'm a lefty, and I am a self taught ambidextrous.

No but have been around autistic people most of my life.
I might of picked it up of it was contagious.
I am joking, I know it not contagious.

- - - Updated - - -

No but have been around autistic people most of my life.
I might of picked it up of it was contagious.
I am joking, I know it not contagious.

DrunkBunny said:
Mild Aspergers, luckily, I mostly seem NT.

I could easily pass as a neurotypical with social difficulties, I notice body language, I just can't understand any of it, and can hold up a conversation quite well as long as I get to know the person quite well, and can understand sarcasm to a point if I know the person quite well.

Lets say, I blend in with the crowd, same with my dad but he hasn't been diagnosed with aspergers, he seems pretty neurotypical but It's obvious that he has some form of it.

Interesting facts about me is, I have very good long term memory, I've got a multiple range of interests, I'm a lefty, and I am a self taught ambidextrous.
I'm a bit like you then DrunkBunny, I too blend into a crowd quite easily. Most people probably just think I'm shy and a bit weird. I also have quite a good LTM ( everyone always asks how I remember things from when I was like 2).

jAMIEISAWESOME said:
I also have quite a good LTM ( everyone always asks how I remember things from when I was like 2).
Yeah... Another thing I've noticed is that I can recall childhood memories pretty well. It's clearest probably starting around age 4, but I have a few from earlier than that. Earliest takes place around 1 1/2.

I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was about 10. I won't say I don't have it anymore but I no longer meet some of the criteria for it.

MitchThaToddler said:
I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was about 10. I won't say I don't have it anymore but I no longer meet some of the criteria for it.
. I think a lot of people out grow some of the symptoms as they get older, I know I have in some regards.

KimbaStarshine said:
ha ha yes! I to flap my hands and am very socially awkward. I'm diagnosed with ADD, but I'm pretty sure I'm some where in the spectrum too. Mostly when I get excited I do hand flapping stuff :b

Paddedwolf said:
ha ha yes! I to flap my hands and am very socially awkward. I'm diagnosed with ADD, but I'm pretty sure I'm some where in the spectrum too. Mostly when I get excited I do hand flapping stuff :b

For me it usually only happens when no one's around and when I'm kinda mentally stimulated by own thoughts. Honestly I don't even though when I picked up the habit, I don't recall doing it when I was really little.

I also have a tendency to pick at my scalp until it bleeds and then pick at the scabs. It'll go away for a while but eventually returns.

Yep. I am an Aspie. I'm very closeted about it (to the point where a friend is more likely to know I'm an ABDL than on the spectrum), but I am one (and not self-diagnosed either, I got a formal diagnosis nearly 20 years ago). I pass very well after years and years of training. I may come off as a clumsy socially awkward introvert, but people generally perceive me as NT.

At this point, pretty much all my family has thought I've outgrown it since I've learned to suppress many of the symptoms and keep them private (unless you spied on me with a hidden camera, you wouldn't suspect that I still flapped my hands). Comparing my life from where people knew I was autistic to now where people assume I'm NT, there's no contest. It's much better now.

I had aspergers Since i was 2, i noticed a Lot of People here Are in the spectrum, i am not saying this for everybody but Do you think infantilism is a autistic Thing?

I have High Functioning aspergers as well.

Today at the Refuse Transfer Center here in Salem, NH, I met another adult Aspie I had never met before. I did get to talk to him and tell him about the Merrimack Valley Aspies Adult Support Group I facilitate.

I got a diagnosis of mild Cerebral Palsy at the age of four, but more and more, I think it is more likely that I am mildly autistic. Like some have said in this thread, I still find myself getting flappy at times. I wouldn't say I am "socially awkward", but I've also never dated. I also didn't really speak until age 4.

Then again, I don't really have a lot of sensory issues. And I have no real problem with eye contact.

I suppose that at my age, it really makes little difference whether I am on the spectrum or not.

I do. I was diagnosed at age 28. I don't have much in the way of sensory issues, but I am sensitive to loud noises and I usually need to wear sunglasses if I'm outside. Nothing crippling, though. Eye contact isn't a big deal, though it is distracting. I have to basically shut off part of my brain so it doesn't bother me, so I can't do deep thinking and maintain eye contact at the same time.

I've mostly learned to blend in, but it does cause me some problem in my work life.

I have Asperger's. I think I pass OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back