Thread: I don't understand what I am doing wrong.........

Unhappy I don't understand what I am doing wrong.........

Hello, It is me. The thing is I am a year from graduation from collage, and to be honest lately I keep failing tests when I thought I passed them, and it is really annoying. I mean, I did everything right, I studied, I relaxed during the test, and i even do the homework, and for some reason I can't get above a failing grade. and i want the bisness degree because it would help me turn my artist stuff into video games and cartoons and stuff, so my grandmother and i agreed to take it, well it is boring and annoying. I mean some classes I like, but no matter what i do, I feel like Sisyphus, you know the guy in Greek mythology that is forced to roll a bolder for all eternity, only i fell like I am forced to repeat the one year for all eternity or until i drop out, I just feel like junk for all of this and i need to vent and it honestly fells like i can't gradulate at this point. I am sorry for all of this i just need to vent on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyninjaW View Post
    Hello, It is me. The thing is I am a year from graduation from collage, and to be honest lately I keep failing tests when I thought I passed them, and it is really annoying. I mean, I did everything right, I studied, I relaxed during the test, and i even do the homework, and for some reason I can't get above a failing grade. and i want the bisness degree because it would help me turn my artist stuff into video games and cartoons and stuff, so my grandmother and i agreed to take it, well it is boring and annoying. I mean some classes I like, but no matter what i do, I feel like Sisyphus, you know the guy in Greek mythology that is forced to roll a bolder for all eternity, only i fell like I am forced to repeat the one year for all eternity or until i drop out, I just feel like junk for all of this and i need to vent and it honestly fells like i can't gradulate at this point. I am sorry for all of this i just need to vent on someone.
    Try doing something you enjoy more, when I did my A Levels (it's what we have in England where you study 3/4 subjects for two years and take exams at the end of each year starting when you're 16/17 and finishing when you're 18/19) I took ICT, chemistry and maths. I like ICT, ever since I was like 7 I've wanted to be a video game programmer but the course was nothing that would help me and it really wasn't what I liked and I failed that. Chemistry and maths are like in the top 5 for most hardest subjects at A Level which I only did because I was told it would help me get into university but it was boring, sometimes confusing and so I failed. Now I am doing something called a BTEC in ICT which is equivalent to 3 A Levels but it's all assignments and we actually do things like animation, programming, computer systems, networking which I enjoy and I am going to be passing with the highest grade and will be going off to university.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonstah View Post
    Try doing something you enjoy more, when I did my A Levels (it's what we have in England where you study 3/4 subjects for two years and take exams at the end of each year starting when you're 16/17 and finishing when you're 18/19) I took ICT, chemistry and maths. I like ICT, ever since I was like 7 I've wanted to be a video game programmer but the course was nothing that would help me and it really wasn't what I liked and I failed that. Chemistry and maths are like in the top 5 for most hardest subjects at A Level which I only did because I was told it would help me get into university but it was boring, sometimes confusing and so I failed. Now I am doing something called a BTEC in ICT which is equivalent to 3 A Levels but it's all assignments and we actually do things like animation, programming, computer systems, networking which I enjoy and I am going to be passing with the highest grade and will be going off to university.
    I thank you for the advice, and i would but I forgot to mention something, You see my grandmother In all of her infinite wisdom kinda "Suggested" Read Forced me to be in this degree, because "It would make more money." I mean she is nice and some of the things she suggested makes sense, but come on just because she is 50 years older than me doesn't mean she is right about everything, and i just want her to see that. But it isn't working, and she just doesn't get that i am a different person than her and have different wants and needs, even though we have some things in common, and i just can't stand it.

As much as I dislike the "college for college's sake" thing, I also hate the idea of giving up on it once you're well into it. That's a lot of money to just drop on the floor and walk away from. If you're facing academic probation or something, the better attitude to have at this point, if you can possibly muster it, is: I'm going to get my act together, seek out help when necessary, and f-cking nail this thing, because I'm almost done and I'm not a quitter.

That's an attitude that'll serve you well long after college is behind you.

Yes, an art degree might have made more sense unless you intended to start out in an entrepreneurial fashion and already have a great art portfolio (of paid jobs), but a degree of some kind plus whatever portfolio you currently have is probably the next best thing, and it seems within reach--and soon. Buckle down! You can do it.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 07-Apr-2016 at 02:55.

I know the pain of being super excited for a major only to be crushed by the reality of gen-ed classes. I tried out Computer Science, Psychology, Artist Management, Business, even English before I realized something. I was taking classes in all of those things because I was projecting far into the future. I was thinking about how much money the degrees would earn me without remembering to think about tomorrow. I was sort of taking things one year at a time, ravenous to get to the actual meat of my programs and to get the gen-ed gristle out of the way.

Unfortunately, there's really no way out of the irrelevant classes when it comes to getting a degree. However, if you want to do something super specific, you could always try for a certification, which should only contain relevant course work!

At the end of the day, please don't quit. In this day in age, it's important to have a degree in something. It shows employers that you have the ability to learn and be taught, even if the degree is completely different from what the work entails.

Hang in there

You might also retake your hardest class this summer, and just take the one class. Sometimes making the load a lot easier can help.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    You might also retake your hardest class this summer, and just take the one class. Sometimes making the load a lot easier can help.
    This.

Plus, most colleges know that students are human, and they'll have programs for dealing with academic slumps. Take advantage of those. I overloaded myself a few times, and yeah, that'll kill ya! In addition to having a program to help academically deficient students, my college gave everybody a limited number of "uncontested withdrawals", which were opportunities to drop a course at any time without your existing (and presumably bad) grade affecting your GPA. I ended up using all of mine! Stuff happens.

I'd strongly suggest also talking with the professor in the class. They're not in the business of trying to make students fail, and they'll have some advice for you about what you can do to better prepare for the class if you take it again, or what sort of tutoring you can seek out. Every college has a number of different tutoring programs and you should seek assistance to better prepare for what you have left so that you make sure you get it.