Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Causes Of Nappies Splitting In Back Part

INeedACuddle

Default Causes Of Nappies Splitting In Back Part

Hey good morning everyone, I hope you are all well, As you know I don't get to wear often but I must of worn around 20 Nappies since I finally started having the confidence to order myself some due to wanting to wear so much.

I keep having some Nappies split in the back! It has happened around three times now, I put my Nappy on lying down which is extremely difficult, stand up to adjust the tapes and then my Nappy splits in the back

May I please ask if any of you know where I could be going wrong? It has only happened to 3 out of all the same brand Nappies I wear it's just so upsetting when I finally get time to wear a Nappy and then it just splits as soon as I put it on.

I can't work out how some have split but all the others I have put on have been ok, maybe I have put on weight or its happening when im taping up lying down, I am just unsure.

Thank you

I have had many split over the years sorry to say. Get yourself some packing tape and when you have nappies that are prone to it check them and pre emtively put some tape across that spot.

I think it's caused by melted spots or something like that and that spot will start to give way with some movement.

From my experience Molicare were the absolute worst offender for a large gap opening up and pouring fluff pulp and gel into my bed or onto the floor.

What brand are you using?

INeedACuddle

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    I have had many split over the years sorry to say. Get yourself some packing tape and when you have nappies that are prone to it check them and pre emtively put some tape across that spot.

I think it's caused by melted spots or something like that and that spot will start to give way with some movement.

From my experience Molicare were the absolute worst offender for a large gap opening up and pouring fluff pulp and gel into my bed or onto the floor.

What brand are you using?
    Hi Argent thank you for replying Sorry that's exactly what I was trying to say but couldn't think of how to explain it properly, ("large gap opening up and pouring fluff pulp and gel into my bed") What do you mean by melting spots buddy? I use Cuddlz Nappies which are apparently Bambinos? I would love to try others it's just I live with parents and I am only confident enough to order from Cuddlz as they are delivered by Royal Mail and getting confidence to order other Nappies is hard to explain why I can't.

Also aswell do you think my Nappy could of been stretched or just worn out? I have to be very careful on when I decide to wet them as our rubbish only gets collected once every 2 weeks and the Nappy I decided to wet yesterday I had been just wearing it without taping up and then taking it off, rolling it up, hiding it away etc, Ahhh I just want some proper personal Nappy time!

If you find the plastic has split and the pulp inside has a broken earth look to it I think you will find the same thing as me, at some point in the manufacturing process it appears that splot has been exposed to extreme heat weakening the plastic and over cooking the fluff pulp.

You probably need to check multiple diapers on the same spot and may find the plastic there has a different consistency (I certainly did with all of my faulty batches over the years.)

A strip of clear packing tape on that spot stopped it happening for me.

Had the problem with lots of Tena Slip now I remember as well but they were melted spots, packing tape kept them waterproof as well.

Pre emptivly fix you faulty products and don't let it ruin the experience for you... Sorry it happened so early... nappies are wonderful but their is always an element of them being a messy business.

INeedACuddle

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    If you find the plastic has split and the pulp inside has a broken earth look to it I think you will find the same thing as me, at some point in the manufacturing process it appears that splot has been exposed to extreme heat weakening the plastic and over cooking the fluff pulp.

You probably need to check multiple diapers on the same spot and may find the plastic there has a different consistency (I certainly did with all of my faulty batches over the years.)

A strip of clear packing tape on that spot stopped it happening for me.

Had the problem with lots of Tena Slip now I remember as well but they were melted spots, packing tape kept them waterproof as well.

Pre emptivly fix you faulty products and don't let it ruin the experience for you... Sorry it happened so early... nappies are wonderful but their is always an element of them being a messy business.
    Wow that's very interesting, so the pack of Nappies I am on at the moment could just be a faulty manufactured batch? I have 4 left and 2 packs of 10 still completely wrapped up in postal packaging haha Sorry to keep rambling on but in regards to you saying where they get exposed to extreme heat will my other Nappies be ok although they may got hot being wrapped up in packaging etc or is it just down to where they have been manufactured in extreme heat that has made them faulty and non faulty Nappies will be ok even if they do get hot? (Sorry I hope that makes sense and sorry to confuse you )

Also in regards to checking the plastic I think I know what you mean, I guess I just got to look carefully and compare them to my other Nappies?

Another thing I have just noticed now, I remember my last pack of Nappies having like a Diamond shaped pattern to the padding? Like if you look at the padding inside the nappy it had all symmetrical diamond shaped patterns, now on the pack now the padding does not have all the diamond shaped bits, the padding just looks smooth, I hope I make sense

Thank you so much Argent

It's worth noting that this will happen a lot more frequently if you are on the top limits of the sizing range. Might be worth trying a sample of the next size up and see if they work for you. That was the solution for me!

INeedACuddle

Sorry I have found some pictures to explain the Diamond Shaped padding I am talking about, now I only wear Cuddlz so my Nappies should all be exactly the same, however some I have worn have the diamond shaped padding and the pack I am on now seem to be missing the diamond shaped padding, so maybe a faulty batch after all?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
    It's worth noting that this will happen a lot more frequently if you are on the top limits of the sizing range. Might be worth trying a sample of the next size up and see if they work for you. That was the solution for me!
    Hey Ted Maybe my butt is too big then haha, Ahh the joys of being a Nappy Noob with all my annoying questions, I have seen so many pictures where it looks like people have them taped really tight and the Nappy would split but maybe my butt is simply putting too much pressure and therefore making it split, it's strange tho as so many pictures I have seen where they are tight on the butt, it looks as if they would bend over or something then the Nappy would split, I am so confused lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	25958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	25959  

I have never had this happen to me.
    Are you a bigger person or is your body mass shifting due to putting the diaper on laying down, verses how it would fit standing up?

I've had this happen several times over the years as well. One thing to remember is that when you lie down, there really isn't that much stress on the diaper compared to when you sit up and it has to stretch across your backside. Not taping them as tight when laying down has certainly helped me avoid this, but I still do have it happen from time to time.

Sounds like the bottom tapes are too tight. When you sit or bend it puts extra pressure pulling the diaper apart in the back. Leave the legs a bit looser and the rope tight as you need to keep the diaper in place. Also, sometimes leaks happen if the tapes are to tight on the bottom. It keeps the diaper stretch in the crotch and let urine or feces to escape.