Banner day at the thrift store

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMS401

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So while I'm out at lunch, I thought I'd swing by the thrift store. Well, while there wasn't anything there for me, I thought some of you would drool at what I found. 20150923_123621_resized.jpg20150923_123628_resized.jpg

-RMS

That looks good - you never see that much in UK charity shops

You don't normally see that much in stores here, either, Sambus.

BTW, I so want to be British. Everything sounds so much cooler, and you have waaaay better names for everything there. I think that's half the reason I watch Top Gear. :)

-RMS

Wowser! That is the best diaper selection at a thrift store. Btw-Top Gear is super funny!

sambus said:
That looks good - you never see that much in UK charity shops

IMHO, incontinence products are rather an odd thing to donate to a charity store. Most people would be quite embarrassed at bringing them in, or buying them. I'm surprised that they accepted them. To the best of my knowledge, charity stores don't usually deal in consumables or hygiene products of any type.

I have seen disposable adult diapers in Goodwill and Savers here in Huntington Beach, CA on a regular basis. My trip to Savers yesterday came up empty, but usually they have two or three different brands available. Unfortunately most of them seemed to be for very large people. Nothing that would fit my 40" waist. (Maybe all the people my size already got theirs there...) I will keep looking though. Ended up going to DMES on Magnolia in Fountain Valley to pick up a package of Abena Abriflex pull ons off their shelf.

All my past purges or brands i dont care for end up at a thrift store. They take them if packed nicely. If one is missing and it's taped shut with clear tape, i will see it back on the shelf later when visiting the store. But, stores policies differ for sure. I think they assume your grandma died? Plus, thrift stores sell used boring underwear, why not new undergarments of the disposable type?

Last edited:
Akastus said:
IMHO, incontinence products are rather an odd thing to donate to a charity store. Most people would be quite embarrassed at bringing them in, or buying them. I'm surprised that they accepted them. To the best of my knowledge, charity stores don't usually deal in consumables or hygiene products of any type.

Here in the U.S., it seems incontinence products are rather common in thrift stores. My memory of it's a bit sketchy, but I believe I saw a whole bin full of adult diapers of some type at one not too long ago.

I myself have like 8 cases I need to donate.just no way to get them their.

Anybody in the Ohio/ Pa area want some free diapers pm me.

Tetra

If they were in size, I would've bought the Tena Super packs in an instant. And assuming those goodnites were in large, them as well.

Akastus said:

You'd be surprised at how often they show up. Typically from someone cleaning out a family members place after they have passed or move into a nursing home. Sometimes they come in by the case.

Me too. I buy medium Tena from my Goodwill if they have them. I once got 4 packs of 20. In one trip. Never saw GoodNites though.

I don't know what to think when I see diapers at a thrift store. Are they defective? Are they like some say from a person who no longer needs them? Are they overstock? Are they not a good diaper in general? I have mostly seen prevail diapers in goodwill stores. I guess if you like the particular brand you find, you are lucky, but if you have never tried the one they have, and if the price is not super low, it might not be a bargain after all.

The goodwill near my house is where I actually got my 1st adult diapers. They always have a decent stock but normally it's diapers that are extra large in clear packaging with no labels so you can't tell the brand or size.

totters said:
You'd be surprised at how often they show up. Typically from someone cleaning out a family members place after they have passed or move into a nursing home. Sometimes they come in by the case.

Curious. I have never seen hygiene products in any British charity store. Then again, if you have a medical need for nappies, you'll be getting them from the NHS, so there probably isn't so much of a market for discounted nappies here (except us).

They DO have them from time to time, not very often though - I've seen some baby nappies but mainly adult stuff.

I've had quite a few bargains at Boots stores though - just bought a pack of Staydry slips for £2 (package ripped), plus I've had a big pack of the Tena Lady Discreet underwear (nice pullups without the old lady frills on the top) for a similar price, also Depend Mens pull-ups, all from the clearance / bargain counter.

bambinod said:
So how much of that went home with you?

Actually, I did buy one bag of the Tena Supers, though I don't think they'll be all that useful, since they're way too big for me. I tried one and it leaked at the legs pretty early.

Such is the life--way too fat for Goodnights, not fat enough for fat-people diapers. *sigh*

-RMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back