I need some AB/DL opinons

Status
Not open for further replies.

unistudent

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hi,

I'm writing a paper for my Anthropology class on the AB/DL lifestyle. I've found it really interesting looking through the various sites. I want to accurately portray the community, while I don't have a diaper fetish myself I have my own fetish which is often criticized and ridiculed. If it isn't too intrusive I wanted to ask a few questions:

Are there any general or unspoken rules to belonging to this group?
What issues or problems do you face due to your fetish?
What does being an AB/DL mean to you?
What are some common misconceptions about AB/DL's?

Whatever you feel like answering or commenting would be very helpful. I want to get an AB/DL's perspective. Thank you in advance for any of your feedback. It is very much appreciated.

-unistudent.

unistudent said:
Hi,

I'm writing a paper for my Anthropology class on the AB/DL lifestyle. I've found it really interesting looking through the various sites. I want to accurately portray the community, while I don't have a diaper fetish myself I have my own fetish which is often criticized and ridiculed. If it isn't too intrusive I wanted to ask a few questions:

Whatever you feel like answering or commenting would be very helpful. I want to get an AB/DL's perspective. Thank you in advance for any of your feedback. It is very much appreciated.

-unistudent.

1. I would say no for the most part besides do not involve children whatsoever. Another thing is do not try to make yourself medically incontinent or dependent on diapers. This is extremely dangerous and should never be done by anybody.

2. The obvious weirdness of the fetish. The thought to most people of people wearing diapers and sitting in their own urine and feces is disgust. It is a hard fetish to explain to people and thankfully I haven't had to. Another problem is that it is sometimes hard to accept that this fetish is apart of you and you can't change it. The whole action of hiding diapers from everyone is also very hard and can lead to some close calls or awkward situations.

3. Being an AB/DL to me means something that makes me unique or who I am. It is something that I have struggled with personally and that many people have. Recently I have come to accept that it is a part of myself and it's something that I can't change.

4. The obvious misconception of being an AB/DL is that it has to do with children which it absolutely doesn't. Being an AB/DL is about becoming a child not wanting them. That is what also makes this really hard to explain this fetish to people.

I hope I helped at least a little bit. I would be extremely interested in reading the paper when you are finished with it! PM me if I can help you answer anything else, I would be more than happy to!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply! I'll post up the paper when it's finally done.

Of course man! Feel free to ask me anything you want and I will gladly answer :)

Thank you for the link! I have had a look at this page and found it useful, although I also wanted to hear it straight from members as well.

unistudent said:
Hi,

-unistudent.

1) There aren't a lot of rules. Just be nice and have common sense and you'll be fine.
2) Mostly, it's just a fear of being discovered. This really goes against what is considered "normal," and trying to hide this big part of you from the outside is difficult.
When I was found out by my parents, I went through a long period of time (6 months or more) where I hated myself. I couldn't hang out with friends anymore because of how bad it was. All I saw in the mirror was something wrong, and I stopped caring about life in general. Long story short, it was really bad.
3) Being AB/DL is a big part of who I am. It took a long time, a lot of heartache, and bad decisions to finally figure out who I am.
I feel like having this has made me a better person. I feel a lot stronger than most of my friends, I can deal with stress better than most. I also feel like a more understanding person. And, oddly enough, I think my experiences have made me more mature than 90% of my peers.
3) There are plenty of misconceptions about us. The biggest/most known one is that we are pedophiles, which we aren't.

I'd type more, but it's really late, and I'm super tired. I'll probably come back and edit this tomorrow so that it's more understandable.
BTW, I would live to read your essay when it's done :)

unistudent said:
Hi,

-unistudent.

I think the majority of us here enjoy answering these kind of questions, partially because there is not much awareness or understanding about AB/DL's.

It is hard to say that there are actual rules to AB/DL's as a group, because AB/DL is really more of a tag, there isn't really an official group, as there would be if you were talking about being in the "Catholic group" or something of that sort. There are many communities though, as far as I'm aware, reddit.com/r/abdl, fetlife, and adisc, hold some of the largest of our numbers.
Really the only unspoken rule that I can kind of think of, is the more popular opinion that you usually only tell your special other about your AB/DL side, and not usually anybody else. However some, including me, will be much more open about it, I am because it really helped me accept myself, and feel more comfortable in my own skin knowing that people were ok with it and wouldn't reject me if they did find out on accident.

Some issues that i think we face, is that people often consider it 'just a fetish'. AB/DL means a lot of things to a lot of people, and it isn't always sexual. There are actually a lot of AB/DL's that consider this side of them to be simply a relaxing way to spend time. Feeling regressed to the age of a young child/baby, is very calming because you don't feel like you have to worry about anything, since baby's are always taken care of. You get to feel familiar sensations as to what you would have as a baby, and it is just amazing to go back like that. So for somebody like me, being an Adult Baby, was first, a method of feeling little again, it only became something sexual after puberty, but before then, I always wanted to have my stuffed animals with me, and had a fascination with getting back into diapers.

Another issue that AB/DL's face, is the fear that people who learn about us, will mistake this lifestyle as being pedophilia. The big difference between the two, is that we want to BE/FEEL-LIKE a baby, while pedophiles want to have sexual contact with a baby, there is a huge difference, in the fact that we have nothing to do with involving minors. It should be very obvious that this is the fact, but the association of diapers and everything else, just makes it easy to be afraid of misinterpretation.

Another big trouble with our lifestyle is, that it is hard to get started. As a first time buyer of diapers, you don't know of any of the websites you can buy from, you don't know how you can order it without people seeing a giant box at the door for you and not asking what is in it. You usually only know of buying diapers in the grocery store, so you have to go there, and then you have to get the guts together, to buy a package of diapers, while trying to keep a straight face. You get major butterflies for the first while, because you are afraid of other people discovering that the diapers are for you, and you just hope that maybe they think you are buying them for somebody else.

Another problem we face, is that it is difficult to get good distributors of AB/DL supplies. There are a few good ones, but even with the good ones, there is not much variety either. Since AB/DL's appear to be a small portion of the world, there isn't much catering towards our needs. There is a whole bunch of items that us AB/DL's would love to buy, but don't get made. Sure there is the default, pacifiers, bottles, bibs, diapers. What you don't see much of though, would be other babyish things like a baby bouncer for instance, in an adult size. Kribs are also expensive, and it is hard to have one if you are trying to be a closeted AB/DL.

Being AB means to me, is that I get to experience the euphoria again of being a little baby. Being excited over silly things. Wearing and having really cute stuff. Having the companionship of my stuffed animals, and being able to cuddle with them. Feeling safe in a clean diaper, and nursing on a bottle of milk. Listening to lullabies to go to sleep. These are all things that everyone enjoyed at an early time in their lives, so it only makes sense to me, that some of us may have never stopped enjoying it.

Being a DL on the other hand, is a very separate side of me that isn't a regressed little side, instead, I look at myself as an adult who enjoys the sensation of wearing a diaper, and finds it sexually arousing to have on myself, and to see on other adults that i'm attracted too. The moment that this personal aspect of self changes, is if my hormones are high, just like any other adult who acts one way in their normal life, but then when they get sexually excited, starts to act very differently. My AB side is not mentally stored in the same place in my head as my DL side, and the only thing that really associates between the two, is the fact that diapers are involved. It is easy to explain how that got associated between something that is totally innocent, and something that is sexual, because it is an object that is hugging your genitals, and one day puberty kicks in, and that object suddenly gets associated in your mind with sexual behaviors.

I think the most common misconception about AB/DL's, at least for those who learn by media, is that all AB/DL's want to be treated like babies all of the time. Personally, I would enjoy it for the most part, but I also enjoy feeling like a productive member of society. Most AB/DL's actually live closeted, or only their special other knows, so they actually spend most of their time as an Adult, only some get to spend 24/7 diapered, and even fewer get to spend 24/7 being treated like a baby.

Another misconception that could exist, is the idea that since we enjoy such a simple and mentally non-demanding lifestyle, then we may not be that educated. However, a while ago a thread was started to poll Adult Babies on this website, the results are very interesting, and I think you would really enjoy them for your report. http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/81165-What-is-your-level-of-Education

unistudent said:
Hi,

-unistudent.
1. I can't think of any specific rules to the community that aren't just general rules that apply to all groups of people (Treat others with respect, don't get others involved who haven't expressed consent for this, don't harm yourself, etc.)

2. The main problems I faced because of my fetish were that of self-loathing, fear of anyone finding out, isolation, and fear of being sent to a psychiatrist. Thankfully, I have yet to be discovered by anyone so far, thanks to the fact that I am a secretive person, which is partially because of this fetish. I know this one time shortly after I bought my pack of diapers, I had this sudden and intense irrational fear (possibly a panic attack) that my family found and had to leave the crappy party I was at to go home and reassure myself that it was just a bad thought to calm myself down, and thankfully that's the only time something like that ever happened. I overcame these problems partially due to me not caring about being weird and different in non-fetish parts of my life, so it was easy to take that "Fuck the norm! I enjoy what I enjoy!" attitude I already had and apply it to my sexual side for my fetish. It also greatly helped having sites like ADISC, Fetlife, and meeting other ABDL friends to see that I'm not alone.

3. Hard to really say. Recently, the wall that segregated my ABDL side from the rest of me fell and it's just another part of me in the same way that my other interests are (though nobody knows except for my ABDL friends). I was miserable and hated myself fighting this, so I taped on a diaper, embraced it, and am so much happier now. Honestly, it's just yet another thing I like.

4. The obvious misconception that everyone will point out is the idea that ABDL has anything to do with kids or pedophilia, and yeah. That misconception angers me to say the least.
The other, much less offensive, misconception is that the ABDL community is all generally into the same thing, such as "All ABDLs enjoy pacifiers, sleep in a crib, shit their diapers, want to go 24/7, etc. The ABDL is a very diverse community with lots of different ways of practicing it, and the vast majority don't want to go 24/7 and have other aspects to their life.

Hope this has been helpful. =)

A lot of what people have posted already is spot on, I just wanted to add something to the second question you asked - What issues or problems do you face due to your fetish? Quite a lot of ABDLs do or have at some point have been affected by depression, though I really couldn't tell you why exactly, I expect everyone has their different ideas about it. Whether or not you could draw some kind of direct correlation I really don't know.

As an ABDL myself who suffers from depression, part of the reason for me at least I think can come down to, not being able to be myself and express myself in public without fear of judgement and just not being able to be myself, luckily I have friends who don't judge me or look down on me because of how I act which can really be an invaluable outlet, for example just being able to stay at my friends' house and bring a plushie and not have it questioned, or just not having the little mannerisms that escape such as the way I speak or the things I do which are often very childish brought up really does help.

Being an abdl to me really just means being myself, my true self and not having to hide anything.

1. Are there any unspoken rules to belonging to this group?

Well, this really isn't a traditional group. I'd put Being ABDL on the same level as being a History Enthusiast or being Comic Collector. There aren't really unspoken rules, because there really aren't rules to begin with, you go as far as you want/can and sometimes I personally, have times where I'm not in an ABDL mood at all.

2.What issues do you face due to your fetish?

I personally run the risk of worrying about being caught to the point that it may interrupt important stuff or just distract me. Depending on my situation, I may have to limit myself to just a few days a month, or just at night, to when I can go into My AB or DL mode.

3. What does being AB/DL mean to you?

Being ABDL gives me a nice escape from the world around me. Sometimes the world becomes too much for me, or sometimes I just feel like I need some ABDL time. Playing whilst in my AB mode helps me relax, and I just like sleeping in AB mode. Being ABDL to me, I Don't always need Diapers, a bottle, or a pacifier. Sometimes I just need to lie down and veg out while I grab my nice soft blanky.

4. What are some common misconceptions about AB/DL's?

The most common and awful misconception is that we are Pedophiles. We just want ourselves to be babied and a few of us have Mommy's or Daddy's (Girlfriends/Wives or Boyfriends/Husbands.) who baby us.
Another one that I see overlooked is the belief that this is something that can be overcome. It cannot, the feelings might come and go for some people, but they never go away. Some people may have had traumatizing thing that caused this, whilst some of us have always had it, but we just never noticed it or understood it.

Best of luck on your report!

Hi, an interesting and brave investigation. There is quite a bit of stuff around on the web as you've probably already discovered. I'll refer mostly to the AB side since that's my major connection.

What's interesting, is what you're most likely to discover here is that for many people the regressive aspect of this is a very personal, delicate, and deeply ingrained need. The sensations and experiences are very real for most, especially when they have discovered how to tap into their regression.

As has already been suggested, there are as many variances as there are similarities and personalities involved in this. Understanding this and acknowledging the diversity helps foster solidarity within the community.

I don't really know of anyone that can rationalise our special desires - it's kind of like searching for the holy grail. Many people develop some possible clues, but apart from the common desire to assume an altered state everything else is to personal and individual taste. There are things that others find extremely important to them, that I might find distasteful. Much of this is integral to each individual's identity.

Knowing why we are this way is something quite elusive, acceptance on the other hand is much more achievable and in many ways healing. That is what make a site like this so important. It is built on respect for ourselves and the individuality of others.

Judgemental posters are not generally made to feel welcome. People come here with a need to be recognised first as a person and then secondly as someone with genuine needs. Where those needs are harmful to self or others, there is little tolerance. This is absolutely why any activity which victimises another person, of any age, is mostly found to be abhorrent by our community.

Yes we have a peculiar need, but that does not render us less human...in fact as a previous poster suggested, acceptance of this generally builds more resilience and empathy.

Being AB is wonderful, but is also very very difficult. I would love to celebrate the person that I am, but unfortunately, live in constant fear of exposure to the general ignorance of society.

i have been the way I am for as long as I can recall. Naturally over time my expression has deepened as I've come to a better understanding of it. Primarily I guess it's simply a need to at times relinquish the person I am and allow an alter ego to emerge. It's hard to explain but I maintain a level of control with my adult self able to step back to allow the baby side to explore in some degree of safety - the safer the situation the greater likelihood of achieving a really deep regression. Having an accepting partner helps.

I'd like to add that this is part of my life and personality and not my whole life. I recognise the need to accord it a measured place in my life. My adult self also enjoys a pretty well rounded adult life.... but the baby is always there lol and can't be ignored for too long. In other words, I can't envisage any way of removing it, nor would I wish too.

As for my activities... well I don't really have a strong need for all the trappings of a nursery for example, but a couple of items, ie diaper, teddy, paci definitely help to encourage an infantile mindset. Other items are desirable but not necessary for me to satisfy my needs. In other words this is mostly an internal psychological/emotional process enhanced by paraphernalia. My partner is gradually learning to understand the way I am, and that she can maintain a regular adult relationship with me as well as accepting that there is another dimension to me - one she is slowly growing attached to - yay for that.

Good luck with your paper - just remember that we are mostly just pretty decent loving regualar people who for what ever reason have been unable to fully detach from a more secure time in our lives. Be kind.

Last edited:
//The rules
Basic common sence rules. Try not to negatively effect those around you IE don't mess you're self in an elivator if you're not IC. XD
Don't harm you're self, IE trying to become IC

//General problems I've faced
Self acceptance. I got over this in my late teens. I never went through the purge binge cycle, but its common for alot of people. define:purge binge(buying lots of diapers/baby items then feeling bad and throwing them out only to repeat)
Worry of being found out.

//What does being ab mean to me.
It gives me a way to nullify stress.
It's hard to explain, but it just has a way of making me over all feel happier.

//Common misconceptions
Alot of people think that to be ab/dl something bad or traumatic must of happened in our lives. This is not always the case. For some of us it's the lack of such a thing that makes us want to relive our childhood.

Alot of people think we are freaks who can't conform in society. This is not true, in 99% of cases if you met an ab/dl you would not know. This is why the topic of using symbols to ID our selves to other open ab/dl has come up on and off. //By the way I'd wish you not to show our symbols if you should find them. As the general consensus is to keep them just a cool looking meaningless immage to the non ab/dl population.

Alot of people think its sexual for everyone, this is also not true. Some it becomes sexual to, others it never does. Or they choice to block that part out, because it is in conflict with the innocence they are seeking to be.

Hope this helps.

Forgotten said:
1. Are there any unspoken rules to belonging to this group?

Well, this really isn't a traditional group. I'd put Being ABDL on the same level as being a History Enthusiast or being Comic Collector. There aren't really unspoken rules, because there really aren't rules to begin with, you go as far as you want/can and sometimes I personally, have times where I'm not in an ABDL mood at all.

2.What issues do you face due to your fetish?

I personally run the risk of worrying about being caught to the point that it may interrupt important stuff or just distract me. Depending on my situation, I may have to limit myself to just a few days a month, or just at night, to when I can go into My AB or DL mode.

3. What does being AB/DL mean to you?

Being ABDL gives me a nice escape from the world around me. Sometimes the world becomes too much for me, or sometimes I just feel like I need some ABDL time. Playing whilst in my AB mode helps me relax, and I just like sleeping in AB mode. Being ABDL to me, I Don't always need Diapers, a bottle, or a pacifier. Sometimes I just need to lie down and veg out while I grab my nice soft blanky.

The most common and awful misconception is that we are Pedophiles. We just want ourselves to be babied and a few of us have Mommy's or Daddy's (Girlfriends/Wives or Boyfriends/Husbands.) who baby us.
Another one that I see overlooked is the belief that this is something that can be overcome. It cannot, the feelings might come and go for some people, but they never go away. Some people may have had traumatizing thing that caused this, whilst some of us have always had it, but we just never noticed it or understood it.

Best of luck on your report!
I don't really agree with it being compared to history enthusiasts and such. People have many broad reasons that they are AB/DL. Some people are because of childhood trauma such as me. Some are because of sexual reasons. There's no way to really compare being AB/DL to anything, because it's unli j e any other fetish or lifestyle.

The posts above all contain good information. I would like to stress two points.

First, there is no one way to express ABDL. Some people go 'all the way' with a nursery, highchairs, clothing, eating utensils, etc. Others are very happy with a pacifier or diaper only. And, of course, everything in-between. There is no 'one size fits all' in the ABDL realm.

Second, for many of us (myself included), ABDL is a form of stress relief. We all know that babies have no responsibilities and can do pretty much what they want to without worrying about the mortgage, a child's college fund, world affairs, etc. This allows us a chance to remove that worry for a period of time.

Good luck with your assignment.

unistudent said:
Hi,

-unistudent.

A common unspoken rule I see here is to not encourage self-harm, be it physical, emotional, or social. Making oneself a bedwetter/incontinent and pointless exhibitionism are my personal top two areas in this regard.

My usual problem with this fetish is guilt. Ultimately, I accept this as a part of me (and definitely enjoy it ^^), but it still feels like a taboo-ish guilty-pleasure given the social stigma. Some days when I'm home alone, I end up getting into my baby mindset and laze around instead of doing chores like a responsible adult.

Responsibility brings me to your next question. ABDL is an extension of my self-expression which relieves stress in turn. Becoming a baby, relinquishing all responsibility, and embracing all apathy is quite a comfort to me.

The most common misconception about us is that we desire a child to be a sexual partner.

As an extra tidbit, my desires didn't start nagging at me until about nine years ago, but I didn't start indulging in my desires until a little under a year ago. Honestly, I regret not starting sooner.

To address your third question, AB/DL means different things to me depending on the situation. As you probably know, Adult Babies and Diaper Lovers are not mutually inclusive, and AB/DL individuals often exist on a spectrum of their tendency toward roleplay and regression to the point of infancy and their sexual attraction to diapers as a paraphilic object. Like many, I fall into both categories. When I feel stressed or if I'm simply in the mood to do so, regression is a way for me to escape the dangers and obligations of adult life by purging my mind of those responsibilities and focusing on the simple care-freeness of infancy. I personally regress primarily as a means to stop my head from being filled with worries about my education and my future. Wearing and using diapers, cuddling up to a plushie, wearing a onesie, and sucking my thumb or on a pacifier make me feel euphoric. It's difficult to describe the sensation, but it's as if everything that matters melts away, and I'm able to enjoy the feeling that I don't have to worry about those things. For me, regression is not usually sexual; it's something to cope with stress.
Conversely, my Diaper Lover side is fetishistic in nature. Diaper Lovers are attracted specifically to diapers without the connotations of regression or ageplay. It's like an underwear fetish. I personally find diapers physically stimulating, and they mesh with other kinks of mine, such as omorashi. The only time my AB and DL sides mingle is in the thought of having a Daddy. In a specific fantasy, my Daddy would care for me as a baby, diapering and dressing me. But when the situation became sexual, it would become something like a dominance/submission scenario.
That's just my personal experience. I figure the more you hear from more people, the better, I hope. Good luck on your paper! :)

unistudent said:
Hi,

-unistudent.

I'll write a response to your questions a bit later once I have some time.

But I'm curious - why did you choose this topic? How did you become interested in Abdl?

My response is below. I'm also curious to hear how a student stumbles into this topic and what about it seems interesting for a paper.

1. Are there any general or unspoken rules to belonging to this group?

I think a rule is to avoid being judgmental of others. Peoples individual practices vary a great deal even among people who identify as ABDL. There is an unspoken consensus that as long as a practice isn't causing harm to self or others, it's acceptable, even if some community members would never want to do it themselves.

2. What issues or problems do you face due to your fetish?

I think the most common one is fear or anxiety of being caught. For myself, specifically, I work in a very conservative profession (law), so I worry that a reveal could lead to false accusations of pedophilia too quickly for me to sort things out.

I also worry about finding a life partner who will accept me with all my oddities and who I will love in return. The pool seems small.

More abstractly, I think keeping a secret all my life has made me a less open and more private person than I otherwise might have been. This is a mixed issue, however, as I also think I have greater empathy and understanding of others because of my own secrets and worries.

Amusingly, one enduring source of guilt is the effect my diaper wearing has on the environment. I try to be very green in other aspects of my life to compensate.

3. What does being an AB/DL mean to you?

This is such a broad question. On a physical level, it's my source of arousal and sexual satisfaction. On an emotional level, it's a comfort and a source of joy for me.

It's actually very strange to reflect on this. I am simply happier and feel more complete when there is some kind of very thick material between my legs, even if I'm just going about normal business.

A too common misconception is that this has anything to do with real children. IT DOES NOT. ABDL activity is between consenting adults.

Another one is that ABDLs are immature or unable to cope with the adult world. That's not true, I have no problem being an adult when needed and I hold a good job that I enjoy, socialize with friends and family, and generally have a pretty happy life. It is worth noting though that many ABDLs have also suffered other things like depression that can impact coping with day to day life. That's not because of wanting to act like a kid though, it's because if the depression or other condition.

A third is that the practice is not hygienic. As far as I can tell, diaper wearing and use is as hygienic as toilet use. Both can develop problems if proper cleaning and disposal isn't practiced, but with proper cleanup, diapers are perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back