Dummy Detective

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I love finding random dummies (baby soothers) in the street and collecting them if they are interesting enough. I don’t bother with the basic latex ones with the round guard that they sell in corner shops, I generally prefer the silicon dummies but may collect some others if they look like good brands.
Here’s one I saw walking to the shops at lunchtime one day. The first time I saw it, I think it had not long been dropped / abandoned but it was just on the edge of someone’s driveway / garden where it meets the public pavement I was walking along, so I thought I better not touch it – although prob abandoned / dropped by a passer by, it just could belong to the people whose house I was passing and nobody who left something in their garden, maybe to pick up later would expect people to just take it!
The next time I passed was a week later and I saw it in the gutter (the other side of the pavement I walk along) but there was a car parked just in front of me with people in it so I didn’t want to stoop down just then. I finally had a chance yet another week later when I next walked past and took it from the road edge but it had been damaged by now:

View attachment 23074View attachment 23075View attachment 23076

I realised it was a Tommee Tippee soother but needed to do cleanup / ident at home. I soaked it in boiling water with detergent and scrubbed it with a toothbrush and it came up like this:

View attachment 23077View attachment 23078View attachment 23079

I realised immediately it was one of their Closer to Nature soothers, the higher quality silicon range. Also it was the old series just replaced in spring 2014 by a new plain cylindrical (and rubbish imo) teat. The shape of the guard and the fact it had no colouring on it showed it was from the (Closer to Nature) C-Pure range. The generous size of the teat showed it was the biggest of the 3 sizes (9-18m). Finally comparing the remainder of a green front with the pictures on their website showed me which exact soother it had been:

View attachment 23080

(the green one on the left of course!)
Now, you’ll notice this soother has a lovely wide teat. Well it was very tempting and so after further boiling and microwaving it, I gave it a quick try in my mouth and it was a surprisingly comfortable fit. I decided not to ‘use’ it though – I’ve binned it – but it reminded me to have a search around, and I remembered that I’ve already got some old Tommee Tippee soothers hidden away in the loft, I may have a C-Pure so I’m looking forward to finding it if I can – that’ll be a story for another day!

Not to sound offensive but this is kinda un-sanitary, why would you pick up a random pacifier off the street?

Snivy said:
Not to sound offensive but this is kinda un-sanitary, why would you pick up a random pacifier off the street?

I'm with Snivy here. This sounds on the odd side.

Snivy said:

Considering the effort he went to clean it, I don't think sanitation is an issue. It seems like sort of a curious habit to me but as long as he's not taking them from kids using them ;)

Trevor said:
Considering the effort he went to clean it, I don't think sanitation is an issue. It seems like sort of a curious habit to me but as long as he's not taking them from kids using them ;)

True, like stealing candy from a baby...except the opposite :p

I think this is really neat, sort of falls into the category of found art. I can't imagine actually using one, that's pushing it a bit, but as long as you're sterilizing I don't see the problem with collecting them. Probably safer than collecting metal objects, to be honest (tetanus!).

JoKittibuck said:
I think this is really neat, sort of falls into the category of found art. I can't imagine actually using one, that's pushing it a bit, but as long as you're sterilizing I don't see the problem with collecting them. Probably safer than collecting metal objects, to be honest (tetanus!).

Of course, art of perfect is one story but going to use them is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back