What are your thoughts on ABU Peekabu alreadly being sold out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic007

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
So I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the ABU Peekabu diaper already being sold out? Do you think demand out weighted supply? Was supply purposely limited? Will we see it restocked instantly after the reserve ship date passes?

i was wondering the same question if the pree stock was just limited but will see some on launch day when they arrive if they have some still to be bought ,
debating on a purchase :\

msybe they did a limited test run to check out the equipement, demand, and profitability of them. if all works out i am sure you will see more shortly.

Well they have limited cash flow and limited warehouse inventory. They probably just did a single run to start with. They've got "a lot of irons in the fire", it's got to be a madhouse over there right now. Like juggling eggs.

The good news of course is that with their success they can expand even further. (remember they used to just have the one warehouse, they're already expanding) This means more stock on hand, and more orders on the water.

I doubt this was a very "limited test run", I'm betting it was a solid full container with a mix of sizes. It sold out so fast because they were pretty aggressive with their advertising and hype. Lets hope it does not disappoint! I wear safari for the evenings I need more capacity than I can get in a simple/space, I'd like to be able to stick with ABU on the weekend overnights ;)

I agree with Bambinod. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that they have to pay ahead of time for the product. So if they have $250,000 in the bank, they can only order so much, and still need to have money for daily operating expenses.

In addition, say they had the money to order 500,000 cases. If they're only moving on average 500 cases a month, do you as a customer really want to receive something that's been sitting in a warehouse for 5 years?

Inventory management is a delicate balancing act, and can make or break companies.

Sold out?? I was just on this morning they still have XL and S.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They had a surprise restock of their other items. I'm sure more is on the way. Too bad the peekabu is out of my tiny waist size :|

wackoreese said:
They had a surprise restock of their other items. I'm sure more is on the way. Too bad the peekabu is out of my tiny waist size :|

toothpicks have no right to complain when they can fit into actual pampers ;)

bambinod said:
toothpicks have no right to complain when they can fit into actual pampers ;)

This, exactly. I will never understand why someone with a 24" waist size would complain about the products that are already widely available, and will work perfectly fine. Anybody who is 110 pounds and under, with a 28" waist, should be able to make good use of Luvs or Pampers Size 6 or 7 if they are already purchasing Goodnites. I would have to give some exception for a smaller person with a serious medical problem, but this is why Dry 24/7 makes their small size available. So there are options for every need. For light duty, even I, with my 30" waist, can wear Goodnites on a daily basis, discretely, to suit my needs perfectly. In fact, they even feel a bit loose!

I have to give any company a one-time pass for any first run of a product. Popularity, customer one-time try outs, manufacturing delays, etc, etc, all come into play. It's when any company has a hard time keeping their normal lines in stock, over and over again, that it becomes unacceptable for them to run out.

This was literally the fastest selling item we've ever had. We brought in double the amount of LittlePawz that we did during its launch (which took us a couple weeks to sell out completely), and we saw sizes sell out in 3 days. We could only get so much in the way of materials before the Chinese New Year (the adhesive tapes were the hardest to get), and we used 100% of it. We sold thousands of cartons of product in days. Absolutely unanticipated and unprecedented.

We have another production happening shortly, and we're just waiting for all the materials to be produced to do the final assembly. This time we're doing a much larger order. We anticipate that to be available in the USA and Japan late April.

-Casey, ABU

Back-of-napkin-math time... a typical shipping container is 1,360 cubic feet, that's 2,350,080 cubic inches. A bag of paws/simple/space is about 1,024 cubic inches, so that's about 2,295 bags per container, or at 8 bags per case, 286 full cases per container. (somehow I thought those containers held more? but then again your cases are pretty big!) (I'm sure my precision isn't very good having to work my way up from inches though)

If you sold "thousands" of cartons (cases?), you must be ordering several containers at a time now. Also if we looked at a commonly quoted "100,000 pc minimum order", at an estimated 18,360 diapers per container, that's five and a half containers per minimum order, so I suppose you have to order multiple containers at a time. (I was thinking a "minimum order" might fit into one container... WRONG!) Rounding up the minimum case order if we assume shipping charges by the container regardless of weight, six containers would hold just a bit shy of 2,000 cases of little paws. (all of this is assuming size Large... I'm not sure if med/small take up less volume per diaper but I think they do?)

And I suppose realistically speaking, a "warehouse" proper could hold quite a few shipping containers of product. (assuming you're not sharing the warehouse with some other company) Multiply that by the number of different products (and sizes) you carry, and it totally makes sense that you're tight on warehouse space after a few shipments come in. Here I thought you had two warehouses to cut down on shipping time or distance, when needing more space was probably the biggest reason!

Honeywell6180 said:
This, exactly. I will never understand why someone with a 24" waist size would complain about the products that are already widely available, and will work perfectly fine. Anybody who is 110 pounds and under, with a 28" waist, should be able to make good use of Luvs or Pampers Size 6 or 7 if they are already purchasing Goodnites. I would have to give some exception for a smaller person with a serious medical problem, but this is why Dry 24/7 makes their small size available. So there are options for every need. For light duty, even I, with my 30" waist, can wear Goodnites on a daily basis, discretely, to suit my needs perfectly. In fact, they even feel a bit loose!

I doubt Pampers would fit them properly or function properly.
As a skinny person it is very frustrating when the products are either designed for really tiny people or overweight people; no good middle ground.

I'm on the very low end of Mediums and on the high end of smalls, so I don't get a comfortable fit.
Mediums aren't snug so leaking happens and smalls are too tight.

This is why tiny waist people complain.

bambinod said:
Back-of-napkin-math time... a typical shipping container is 1,360 cubic feet, that's 2,350,080 cubic inches. A bag of paws/simple/space is about 1,024 cubic inches, so that's about 2,295 bags per container, or at 8 bags per case, 286 full cases per container. (somehow I thought those containers held more? but then again your cases are pretty big!) (I'm sure my precision isn't very good having to work my way up from inches though)

If you sold "thousands" of cartons (cases?), you must be ordering several containers at a time now. Also if we looked at a commonly quoted "100,000 pc minimum order", at an estimated 18,360 diapers per container, that's five and a half containers per minimum order, so I suppose you have to order multiple containers at a time. (I was thinking a "minimum order" might fit into one container... WRONG!) Rounding up the minimum case order if we assume shipping charges by the container regardless of weight, six containers would hold just a bit shy of 2,000 cases of little paws. (all of this is assuming size Large... I'm not sure if med/small take up less volume per diaper but I think they do?)

And I suppose realistically speaking, a "warehouse" proper could hold quite a few shipping containers of product. (assuming you're not sharing the warehouse with some other company) Multiply that by the number of different products (and sizes) you carry, and it totally makes sense that you're tight on warehouse space after a few shipments come in. Here I thought you had two warehouses to cut down on shipping time or distance, when needing more space was probably the biggest reason!

A few considerations:
I don't know about your math, but a typical container full of 10 diaper per pack and 8 packs per carton can hold around 550-600 cartons per container.

The larger ABDL companies (not the startups), are not bound to the same type of MOQs you're talking about. Our relationships are different. The printing dies are already made, and at least for ABU, we provide a lot of materials to the manufacturers instead of them sourcing it themselves.

Also, the intent of the MOQ is to make it worthwhile for the factory to switch the machine over to the specific manufacturing requirements that the company has. We will make many containers of a single chassis and size at a time, and then typically backstock some of it over in China for more rapid shipping when we need it. On a first run of any product, we typically take 100% of what is produced though.

Regarding the two warehouses - we actually have four in the USA. Each local shipping warehouse has an overflow warehouse nearby that is equal or greater in capacity to the shipping warehouse. It would seem a bit inefficient to do this, but the cost of dry storage is a lot less than functional storage. Shipping times/costs were a major factor, but we also definitely needed the space to bring in several shipping containers per week of product.

klo555 said:

Thank you for the explanation.

I truly find your openness to explain things in this forum refreshing. So many times in business customers get no answers or we are told (more or less) "that's they way it is, stop asking". I'm glad to see you taking the time to explain things better.

Keep up the good work.

klo555 said:
I don't know about your math, but a typical container full of 10 diaper per pack and 8 packs per carton can hold around 550-600 cartons per container.

Hmmm, I wonder what size shipping container you are using then?

I rechecked the dimensions on a case ("container" as you call it) here and it's about 29x31x11, that's 9,889 cu in per case, or 1,236 cu in per bag, which is about 2% bigger than I estimated above, so my numbers THERE shouldn't be that off.

Looking online for container sizes, I found https://www.mrbox.co.uk/shipping-containers/, "Standard ISO shipping containers are 8ft (2.43m) wide, 8.5ft (2.59m) high and come in two lengths; 20ft (6.06m) and 40ft (12.2m). I don't know if that's inner or outer dimensions, but I'd assume outer. But they clarify, "A standard ISO 20ft shipping container has a capacity of 33.1m3 – enough room for almost 100 household washing machines!".

33.1m3 is 2,019,874in3. Assuming a perfect fit for the cases, that should hold just over 204 cases. (I'm assuming the dimensions on the case boxes are carefully chosen to allow for very efficient packing into a shipping container) But that is for the 20ft'er, about 410 cases would fit into a 40ft'er.

I used an ABU case of 8 bags of (10pcs) Large Simple for my measurements just now, but all the case boxes I get from you seem to be the same size. (simple, space, paws, though I'm not certain on the preschool but I think those are the same?) I'm also assuming your "carton" is the same 8-bag-case you just directly ship us, and not say a case of 3 or 4 bags that you then unpack and re-pack into the 8-bag cases before shipping to us.

Did you double check the metric to imperial conversion tables?

Slomo said:
Did you double check the metric to imperial conversion tables?

39.37 inches per meter, unless some clown's been monkeying with the constants ;)

bambinod said:
39.37 inches per meter, unless some clown's been monkeying with the constants ;)

You didn't hear?? They decided that factions just won't do, so the conversion is now 40" per meter. :laugh:

bambinod said:
Hmmm, I wonder what size shipping container you are using then?

We ship in 40' High Cube containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back