Not open for further replies.

kashi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Hello,

When people start getting them and have the ability to I'd really appreciate a comparison of the ABU lavender to the Tykables overnights. I primarily wear the overnights and I adore them, but the Lavenders are super cute and I'd like to try them. They cost about the same so I'm wondering if the work about the same? My main question is which absorbs more? Performs better ect? I haven't tried any of the new ABU stuff because of a lack of money and am eager to try to the Lavenders, but am concerned they won't perform as well as the overnights.

kashi said:
When people start getting them and have the ability to I'd really appreciate a comparison of the ABU lavender to the Tykables overnights. I primarily wear the overnights and I adore them, but the Lavenders are super cute and I'd like to try them. They cost about the same so I'm wondering if the work about the same? My main question is which absorbs more? Performs better ect? I haven't tried any of the new ABU stuff because of a lack of money and am eager to try to the Lavenders, but am concerned they won't perform as well as the overnights.

I think it's safe to assume the lavenders will be another reskin of the ABU Simple / Space / Paws. The paws are supposed to have a bit more sap iirc but otherwise identical? They are all around $2/ea. They range slightly in price, from $147-168 per 80. 1.84-2.10/ea. The lavender are $156 ($1.95/ea) I'm not sure why the variation on price, the space and paws are both at the high end and the space have been around the longest. *shrug*

Overnights are $135 for 80, $1.69/pc, and so are cheaper than anything ABU offers, 20% less than the lavender. That's 5 overnights for the price of 4 lavender. It's not a huge difference, but keep it in mind because it's $135 vs $167 a case. Prices are the same on both for different sizes.

Anyway, comparing them is a bit difficult because they have some significant differences. The overnights are around 1/2 the thickness when dry, but they also swell a lot more than the ABU. I find the overnights are very hard to use the back few inches of padding on without leaking - this is a common issue with high-sap diapers. They just don't wick into the back as well. So an overnight is going to have between 1/2 and 2/3 the usable capacity of a lavender. (or possibly less)

They're cut differently, but both have front/rear elastic, good leak guards, and solid tapes. Overnights run smaller than ABU. I think the waddler 1 and 2 fit in between the ABU sm/med and med/lg. Both have padding that gets close to the front and back so they have very little "dead plastic" on the ends. Both extend padding well into the sides in the front and back. (good for side sleepers)

From strictly a cost-vs-features perspective, I see the lower priced ABUs (SDK in particular) as a better deal. But if you're going to compare waddlers with the higher priced lavenders, they're about an even value. (though I think Lavender will still have an edge)

All of this is of course assuming you don't mind a thick diaper. If you need something thinner for wearing in public, the waddlers are hard to beat.

The Lavenders are the same diaper as the SDK v2 / Cushies v2. They are in my opinion inferior due to the single tape design and compared to the Tykables Overnights which has 2 per side. The Cushies v2 I had were only better slightly for comfort but were slightly loose feeling and absorbed more when compared to the overnights, however, the overnights felt like they fit better but couldn't absorb nearly as much but overall in my opinion is a superior product. Now that I have Space & Little Paws they are my new favorite, if they were cut slightly smaller they would be the perfect diaper for me.

allcy said:
The Lavenders are the same diaper as the SDK v2 / Cushies v2. They are in my opinion inferior due to the single tape design and compared to the Tykables Overnights which has 2 per side..

Well if they're based on that design the price is a bit higher than I'd expect. I was just assuming they'd be based on the better space model, particularly given the price point.

bambinod said:
Well if they're based on that design the price is a bit higher than I'd expect. I was just assuming they'd be based on the better space model, particularly given the price point.

It's mentioned on the site for it, the reason why it is more expensive is because I believe the scent comes baseline which would increase the base cost of the product as a result. I'll probably try a sample when I do my next order but I just got a 40/40 Space/Paws box.

allcy said:
It's mentioned on the site for it, the reason why it is more expensive is because I believe the scent comes baseline which would increase the base cost of the product as a result. I'll probably try a sample when I do my next order but I just got a 40/40 Space/Paws box.

I think ABU is unpacking the diapers, adding drops of something like MommyScents, and bagging them back up? That would account for a higher charge due to more labor. They ought to try to get that done at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back