Status
Not open for further replies.

pastelsthebest

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Whats the different with these products? When should I use which?
According to my little research, baby powder helps with chaffing, baby lotion is moisturizing and baby oil is slippery.
That's about all I can find.
Please help a baby out!

Sent from my SKY 5.0Pro II using Tapatalk

All this is just imho!

Baby oil is moisturizing too (well holds moisture in basically) I use it in the bath or right after the bath if I'm feeling like I need some fairly intense moisturization (for when I am most in need of intense moisture, which is fairly regularly on some parts, I use petroleum jelly right after the bath)

Baby lotion is great for regular frequent application throughout the day

Powder is to stop chafing, depending on your particular body you may or may not like it or even want to use it. Some prefer to stick with petroleum or a+d ointment instead. Otherwise use it in cracks/crevices and along the leg line during changes when there isn't rashing.

Feyranna said:
All this is just imho!

Baby oil is moisturizing too (well holds moisture in basically) I use it in the bath or right after the bath if I'm feeling like I need some fairly intense moisturization (for when I am most in need of intense moisture, which is fairly regularly on some parts, I use petroleum jelly right after the bath)

Baby lotion is great for regular frequent application throughout the day

Powder is to stop chafing, depending on your particular body you may or may not like it or even want to use it. Some prefer to stick with petroleum or a+d ointment instead. Otherwise use it in cracks/crevices and along the leg line during changes when there isn't rashing.
No no no!!!!! I refuse to use anything with petroleum jelly! It holds all the sweet and things in your body which need to get out. It clogs pores and it's made out of the same stuff gas is. I personally refuse to use it.
Does all diaper cream have petroleum? I heard some have like zinc oxide or something zinc instead, is that true? Do those prevent diaper rash or treat it?

Sent from my SKY 5.0Pro II using Tapatalk

It's not like it's actually going to make you combust or anything. XD (Sorry, you just came across sounding really freaked out to me when I read it.)

I don't know if there are any common brands that don't have petrolatum in them. I turned up this in a quick search: https://www.target.com/p/weleda-white-mallow-diaper-cream-1-9oz/-/A-50789333 But from what people are saying in the comments it separates badly.

Most diaper rash ointments have zinc oxide in them along with petrolatum. They can actually do BOTH, prevent and treat. They are also sometimes called 'barrier cream' for that reason. :3 They put a barrier between your skin and the moisture and irritants, thus preventing diaper rash. (Which is actually a chemical burn from the ammonia in urine/feces.) Once you have the rash, it can also help it heal by preventing more irritants from getting onto your skin.

Also, for what it's worth I've been using petroleum jelly for years and not once has it clogged my pores. :p

FYI : there is also the option to not use anything.

For lots of DL’s even with the AB. It’s about the smell.....and if you like it great. I never use any, in my opinion none is needed and people are getting skin reactions from using things, they assume are helping.

For chafing issues use a layer of nylon stretchy, yoga shorts that go half down leg. It’s another layer that helps hold things in place and will make whatever diaper you are wearing be more effective and comfortable. If chafing is a regular thing consider changing what diaper/ diaper-pad combination used. I was shocked to find how differently a molicare, vs Abena vs 24/7. .... all quality products. Only one of three fits my body.

If you are getting rashes look to your diet. Eating lots of fast food? Not drinking much water?

Do your knees hurt. Are you always so tired...weary body tired where slow thinking. Dry skin? ..... solution to all= significantly increase your hydration.

Not all powders are made equally. I only use a powder that treats and prevents rash. It's called Caldesene Baby. It's still smells like baby powder, it's made out of cornstarch, and contains active ingredients Zinc Oxide and also include Aloe, and Chamomile. Once I tried this I never went back to Johnson's.

Now for baby oil, it typically is used in the diaper area to repel contents from the skin and it will feel oily and to moisturize the skin.

Barrier cream acts the same way to protect against diaper rash, and may contain ingredients to moisturize the skin.

Rash cream usually contains active ingredients to help treat rashes. Some companies just include both the barrier cream and the active ingredients for rash treatment.

Powder is to reduce moisture next to the skin as well as to reduce chafing symptoms. Just like chalk is used for weightlifting and billiards. Some just add different ingredients for different benefits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Aveeno baby lotion uses Dimethicone, something hospitals use and I find it to be excellent. I think it's a best buy.

The most important factor is your skin really, which varies from person to person. Just because it works for someone else does NOT mean it will work for you.

So to that end I'd suggest you experiment and find what works best for you.

I know you were looking for a simple, direct answer, but I don't think there is one.

Yeah, you don't HAVE to use it. XD I forgot that option because I pretty much use stuff all the time just because I'm 24/7, IC and work in a hot factory building all night. So powder has saved me from many cases of 'swamp butt'.

Hydration is important, but it's not nearly the 'only' reason you could get rashes. ;) And honestly, being super-well hydrated makes me end up peeing even MORE, which leads to having wet pamps on more often, which means I'm exposed to urine for longer until I can get a break and change into clean padding. At work I don't have the option of just going "Oh, I'm going to stop for a bit." LOL It does make the urine less concentrated, but it still leaves me wet and chafing from the moisture. Hence powder/cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back