Diaper hoarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokeh

Est. Contributor
Does anyone else hoard diapers? I have always been exclusively into plastic backed diapers and Luvs were my diaper of choice. Back in the late 90's/early 00's Luvs was one of the last hold outs. Once they were gone, my DL side was put on hold for good (or so I thought) I would not discover that adult diapers were all still plastic backed for several years later. I discovered Nature Boy & Girl diapers but those too eventually changed and then went away completely.

Once I discovered that adult diapers were still plastic backed, I worried they would go away too. I started buying more than I use and I now have amassed a 5'x5' storage locker full to the top of diapers as well as cases and cases in my garage. In hindsight it probably seems foolish since there has been a renaissance of AB/DL diapers available. On the other hand though, we have seen many great diapers go away or at least change to be nothing like the original. To this day, I will buy more than I need in order to stash away a case or two in fear that I won't be able to find that particular diaper again.

Anyone else do this?

Not quite to that extent, but I have stockpiled diapers before I had a car. Diapers were hard to buy, so when I had a chance, I would buy a lot. At one point I had about 8 packages stocked up, and since I was still living at home at the time and couldn't wear often, that was like a two year supply to me. Now I limit myself to just 1-2 packages at a time because it's easier to buy when I need them.

Yes, I'll admit I as well do some diaper hoarding/collecting. Since I wasn't sure how long certain designs of diapers were going to be around I would buy them and add them to my collection which is currently inside of a closet under a blanket at my parents house. It mostly consists of Girls GoodNites and a few other girly type diapers. It's just cool to look at them every now and again just to admire something that is no longer manufactured or if it is, very hard to find.

Yes.
I have about 20 cases of diapers and I keep buying more.

I thought I stockpiled quite a lot, but reading the above, I guess not lol

I tend to buy mine in bulk and take a day off work and wait for the deliveries from the various companies that I have bought from. I had my latest deliveries 2 days ago. I got 4x packs of attends M10's, 2xpacks of abriform M4's (old plastic style), 8x packs of ID expert pro's (plastic backed), 4x packs of ID expert pros's (cloth backed) and for the very first time 1x pack of crincklz. I tend to order in bulk like that every 6-8 months.

The walk-in closet is getting very crowded as of late. Too many good new diapers to buy and support, too many good deals. (TBH I still kinda wish I'd have gotten a lot more xplus on bogo than I did) And here I am, with an order on the way, contemplating another thing to get... it's a good probem to have I suppose? I'd imagine a lot of it is simply "rebound" from going years desperately wanting diapers and not being able to have any. I've got a lot of diaper wearing to make up for!

I have probably the most Abena X-Plus and that's not counting the bogo sale. I had found a pharmacy in the UK that sold via eBay. They had the Tena Slip Maxi for cheap and that was before you could get them here. I think I bought 20 packs and I regret not buying more.

lol, yep. I do this as well. My collection of stuff varies too.

I remember when the plastic backed diapers were going away, in the late 90's / early 2000's, like you mentioned. It took me awhile to realize that they were gone. But luckily I live in a rural area, and there's a bunch of small towns around with small grocery stores. So the plastic backed ones had been out of production for a year or two, and I started to make the drive to some of the small stores. I was surprised to see that parents were skipping over the old stock and only buying the cloth backed ones. So I was able to buy up several packages of Pampers and Luvs.

I was able to buy the older Goodnites as well. When they switched to the Trim Fit, I bought several of the older packages. I still have a few left. I even found several packages of DryNites a couple years later of the old Large size (which is larger than the current L / XL size).

But I was always bad about buying several packages of Goodnites and not using them all up, before the prints changed. I wanted to try out the new print; so the packages I had would get placed into storage tubs. I've got several very large storage tubs completely filled with all the different goodnite prints in new packages.

I've done this with adult diapers as well. When I first discovered the SDK from ABU, I freaked. It was the same pattern as the first diaper I ever got when I was older and not a toddler. I was so happy. I bought a bunch of them. Took me a few years before I needed more and I bought a bunch again.

Not sure if I would call it hording but I have 1 plastic backed Abena left, every day I want to use it, but I also don't want none left if was cheap to ship to NZ or we had a local retailer I'd use it in a heartbeat and buy more

i still have a pile of old ones!! but today the cloth peels of the pampers baby drys and back to plastic

Not exactly hoarding but, I have one of every brand and version of diaper I have bought for the last 10 or so years. I keep a collection to see the changes. I have one of the last good Attends in there too. I wish I had some of the original Attends that I had bought in the 90's but I didn't think of it until much later.

LittleManAlex said:
Not sure if I would call it hording but I have 1 plastic backed Abena left, every day I want to use it, but I also don't want none left if was cheap to ship to NZ or we had a local retailer I'd use it in a heartbeat and buy more
That's not hoarding. That's just saving what you got cause it's difficult to ship to NZ. If that counts as hoarding, then I'm hoarding as well since I have a a couple packs of Snuggies Waddlers, and some Cushies, Teddy Bambinos, and other miscellaneous diapers that I so infrequently wear since I know that if that stash is gone, it aint getting replaced anytime soon.

tango79 said:
Not exactly hoarding but, I have one of every brand and version of diaper I have bought for the last 10 or so years. I keep a collection to see the changes.
Nice, I thought I was the only one who did that. I only have about 2 years worth of collection right now, but I tend to buy different diapers each time I buy (and even throw in a sample pack of something else if it's an XP medical order). I currently have about 16 different diapers in my one of each collection. Really wish I'd started it back before dry247 and tena changed their product though.

The part of my stash being saved for posterity, for use under special circumstances only (perhaps never) might be classified as hoarding. This contains at least one pack, sometimes two, of every kind of naappy I've worn in recent times, plus a few packs from way back (oldest is an unopened pack of Depends from about 1992). It's a time capsule that I can have fun with at some random point in the future, or even make some money out of.

The other and often larger part of the stash, although often excessive in size, is not really a hoard as it gets consumed and re-stocked when time permits. I enjoy wearing 24/7 and sometimes manage to keep it up for periods of a few months at a time, but my work is demanding and unpredictable and sometimes makes it impossible. OTOH there are also projects where it is really helpful to wear for work, so I never really know in advance how many nappies I'm likely to need for the next few months. Frequent travel at short notice, stints of perhaps 50 consecutive days work and generally random schedule changes make it quite a headache to take deliveries. My solution is to place huge orders, usually followed by frantic apartment-rearrangement projects to stow them neatly away.

There's one product stranded somewhere between the 'time capsule' and 'consumable stock' categories, and that's old style Tena Slips. When I was first getting seriously into 24/7, they were my standard daytime nappy for everyday use. I had a few cases in reserve at all times and things ran smoothly. Then when I heard the plastic-backed versions were being discontinued, I panicked and bought many extra cases to keep me going until a suitable alternative had been adequately road-tested. That done, I never really did get round to using up the reserve stock of Tenas, only the odd one gets used now and then for a change. At the rate I am using them they will last 20 years, by which time I plan to be very rich and have my own manufacturing facility!

I wish I could hoard.
I move so often I can't have too much diapers around.

Now I'm indulging on 24/7 wearing until I gotta move. Let's see how many I can use up by then ;)

Paxe said:
TThere's one product stranded somewhere between the 'time capsule' and 'consumable stock' categories

You are a true archivist. Clarifies situations I get into with old stock I have as well. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back