Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 3 guest views remaining

How often do you air out your skin?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
How often do you air out your skin? Without a doubt, airing out our skin is probably one of the most important point. It let's my skin breath . I'm profoundly IC and I wear my diaper everyday. I protect my skin with ointments from constant wetting. I also have BM's (more than half the time while sleeping) so keeping my skin healthy is often difficult. Obviously cleaning up (diaper changing) and showering daily is important too. Every morning it includes airing out my skin. I usually sit down on a water proof bed pad and check my internet gmail's, news and ADISC posts. After a half an hour airing out, it's time to put on my first diaper of the day and dress myself.

Do you air out frequently? Everyday? How much time? Do you add skin protection ointments? How often do you experience a diaper rash?

Answers for myself - daily / ~a half hour / use Desitin / probably about once a month or less?

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, jdinvirginia and 1 other person
I am currently fortunate in that I only mostly just need to worry about cleanup after my night time diaper. As part of my morning shower, I use the excess shampoo on what's left of my pubic hair and rinse. Then I thoroughly use Dove soap on my groin and rinse again. After the shower, I stay naked as long as I can to dry more after towelling off. After combing hair, deodorant etc., I finally put my pull-up on for the day. The air time is not that long but probably a minimum of 5 minutes or more.

For after accidents during the day, I use wipes to clean as best as I can and then air 5 minutes or more. Again, this is not very long, but it has worked ok so far.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, jdinvirginia and 1 other person
Every “day” (from when I shower in the morning to when I go Nini).

Reactions: Diprs2
I wear Tena Proskin which are allows some air in/out. I haven’t had any issue since I was prescribed these. Whereas before when I used plastic backed diapers, I had to air out frequently.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
I try to air out daily, after my shower for a minimum of 30 minutes. An hour is great. Old medical studies recommended "airing out" as often as possible during the day, for as long as is practical. I usually sit on a cloth booster pad just in case I experience a leak, or on an open diaper. One advantage of sitting on the diaper is that after airing out you can just tape up the diaper and get on with your day.

If I detect any pre-rash irritation, I increase my airing out and also rotate some breathable diapers into my daily allotment of plastic-backed diapers.

--John

Reactions: Diprs2, Mapboy and PadPhilosopher
After I shower I often go about my house bare-butt until it's time to go someplace. Lets my shaved diaper area dry out and feel smooth.

Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
greatlake5 said:
Do you air out frequently? Everyday? How much time? Do you add skin protection ointments? How often do you experience a diaper rash?
Yes, I air-out everyday. Being as an IC member, I thinks it's important as well of using skin protection. I sit down in the morning after I had my daily shower. Probably a 15 minute to a half hour (depending). I have a diaper rash about every couple of months. Even though I take care of my skin, sometimes I just get a diaper rash. It's the nature of being IC. Everyday I always have a wet (and sometimes soiled) diaper. Certainly I air-out to limit diaper rash. That's the worst.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
First dry-out is with the morning shower, commonly a half-hour. Any pre-rash irritation area receives a very light cover of Desitin and always a light coating of baby powder of the diaper area. Mid-early afternoon change with a 15 minute dry-out with same as above, if needed. Another half an hour dry-out prior to putting on my over-night diaper with a like prep, as above.

Unless my hydration gets off, I may have a diaper rash every other month, at most.

Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
Yes as I have continence issue I air out for about an hour between my last shower and before I change into my night diaper. I do sometimes on weekend a second time after my morning shower. The other thing I do to make sure to cut down on diaper rash is to wash and clean my diaper area thoroughly during bathing that way you can cut down on the bacteria and microbes that can cause diaper rash. When I get rash I usually use a mixture or aquaphor and Aveeno cream which clears it up in a day

jdinvirginia said:
I try to air out daily, after my shower for a minimum of 30 minutes. An hour is great. Old medical studies recommended "airing out" as often as possible during the day, for as long as is practical. I usually sit on a cloth booster pad just in case I experience a leak, or on an open diaper. One advantage of sitting on the diaper is that after airing out you can just tape up the diaper and get on with your day.

If I detect any pre-rash irritation, I increase my airing out and also rotate some breathable diapers into my daily allotment of plastic-backed diapers.

--John
I like your idea about sitting on an open diaper. I am going to have to try it

I try and air my skin for half an hour after each evening shower by just sitting on a large pad

Reactions: Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and Millbay
Wetshisbed said:
I try and air my skin for half an hour after each evening shower by just sitting on a large pad

I do exactly the same but sit on my open diaper just in case. Air out is one of the most important things to do when incontinent the diaper area takes an absolute pounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
So I plan my showers in my schedule because afterwards I air dry
spend usually 30 minutes on my bed on top of a soaker pad
let's everything air out nicely before getting diapered & dressed

if I have some skin concerns I will extend the airing time
put on a shirt & slippers put a soaker pad on couch & watch a movie or something while things air out

zinc oxide creams go on frequently after everything is totally dry

I try to air out at least twice a day, I try to air out about an hour before I go to bed and again in morning after I clean up.

I shower many mornings or at least get washed up in the shower area otherwise. If I leak in the shower, no big deal. I keep my first diaper set of the day on a shelf at the entrance to the shower and get in them there so as to not chance getting the bathroom floor wet. That process allows for maybe 20 or more minutes of airing out. In the evening, it’s again to the shower and into overnight diaper sets, another 20 minutes. If it’s going to be a humid day and I’m planning to be outside a lot, I use a little non-scented powder, avoiding oils and creams unless I develop irritation. I use double lighter weight diapers during the day so I nearly always feel dry until I don’t, at which time I change. At nighttime, I use thicker diaper sets and always feel dry, even though the diapers get moderately wet by morning. The cloth wicks the wetness away from my skin and disperses it quite evenly, making me feel dryer longer. I Very Seldom have skin irritation unless I wear a pull-up or wear a wet diaper, cloth or disposable, too long. Also it’s a lot to do with hydration. I drink water a lot, which flushes kidneys and bladder, increasing pH and reducing bacteria. I always have a bottle of water in my hand or nearby. My urine is usually nearly clear, which is a great indication for hydration and kidney/bladder health.

• Love
Reactions: jdinvirginia, Lilah, newt and 3 others
Actually I never do... I don't use any care products either. Maybe I need to say that I'm wearing just the diaper, no other protective clothing. I have never had a problem with that.

However, I can't just wear plastic diapers forever. My waist is getting irritated over time where two layers of plastic are stacked, more so the harder the plastic (in rarer cases also at the leg ends of the plastic). So I have to wear diapers with textile sides regularly. Not a problem for me though and that's the only area that needs to be cared about.

That said, I'm not constantly wearing diapers for a whole life: No matter how long the periods with no breaks were, I never had an issue. But it was always only up to a few months of real non-stop. Currently I'm doing indoor sports three times per week and that's when I go undiapered. So maybe you could call that airing out.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I‘m constantly wearing 24/7 (U-IC) and have no regular „air out“ times. Of course there are a few minutes after showering or washing myself when I‘m out of a diaper, but usually not too long - as I don‘t only have urge IC but additionally also often uncontrollable dribbling which I can‘t feel.
I always wear cloth backed, breathable diapers, no plastic pants, no compression pants, and have nearly never any skin issues. Maybe twice in more than two years I had a slight rash which healed within one day with using some baby diaper cream ( what is good for baby skin should also be good for me!). Otherwise I do not use any kind of cream, oil or powder…

Reactions: newt, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
After showering is a good time to let your skin breathe. Evening showers also coincides with fewer leaking/accidents so, for me, it works out best. A couple hours a day or half day if you are confident.

@hbic60 definitely second, no outer PUL/plastic pants or compression briefs. Even cloth diapers without waterproof covers are a good way to give your skin a break.

I air out an hour or two after my evening shower, before I put on my nighttime diaper.
Drinking more than enough water to keep urine dilated also help.
I always take a quick diaper-area shower after having a #2.
Keeping it clean, applying a zinc-oxide cream and rotating different diapers also helps.

I get a rash two-three times a year. When I do, it’s usually because I didn’t drink enough, wearing a wet diaper for too long
or not being able to have my air-out-time. Less margin for error in summer time.
A fat barrier cream and more air usually helps.

Reactions: jdinvirginia and Edgewater
Good question! I air out daily. In the morning, after getting outta the nighttime diaper. A quick rinse and then let it air dry for 15-30 minutes or so. If it is a particularly hot/humid day, then I'll repeat the same in the evening. With this current routine, I keep the rashing down to about once or twice a year. I try to avoid the powder or creams, but if something starts up, then I try to get *on it* so that it doesn't get bad or require medical intervention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and hbic60
Back