Coming out as ABDL to my absolute closest friend who just told me he's a furry?

Traveler

Diapers rule, so do the people who wear them!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Hi friends. Lifelong ABDL here and I'm recently realizing after a lot of discovery that I'm also AB. I've been spending a lot of time with my absolute closest friend in life besides my wife, and I've known he's been into kink adjacent stuff for years. We recently went camping together when I was kind of probing with questions he told me he was a furry. My heart swelled because I've always sort of known. I'm not sure if he knows anything about ABDL but I really want to tell him about this part of me. My reservations are that we have such a special bond as best friends who have traveled the world together for decades and I'm terrified of damaging what we have, but I also feel like if I reveal a similar queer side like he has, that it'll draw us even closer. I don't knw a whole lot about fur but from what I do know, it sort of parallels ABDL. So there's my quick story, I'd love to get your take on this. Thanks!

• Thinking
Reactions: Diapersntights, princessarya, BBBen and 4 others
I’ve known my best friend (besides my wife) since we were in second grade together. That’s over 40 years. Several times we’ve been having deep conversations about things we’ve struggled with, including very personal stuff about sex and relationships. I’ve almost brought up ABDL, but something’s always stopped me: His wife. She’s the definition of a gossip with chronic verbal diarrhea. My friend might tell me that he’d keep my secret, but like him I’ve been married almost 25 years. I know how this stuff works. Spouses talk. I know my friend would be cool with it, but I have to consider who else I’d be implicitly sharing it with.

That sort of thing aside… From what you’ve said, I’ll bet your coming-out would go ok. Worst case, he might not know what to say and you’d have to be prepared to change the subject. Hopefully though, as you suggested, it would bring you closer together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freefinallydone, BBBen, KBoy and 2 others
Cottontail said:
I’ve known my best friend (besides my wife) since we were in second grade together. That’s over 40 years. Several times we’ve been having deep conversations about things we’ve struggled with, including very personal stuff about sex and relationships. I’ve almost brought up ABDL, but something’s always stopped me: His wife. She’s the definition of a gossip with chronic verbal diarrhea. My friend might tell me that he’d keep my secret, but like him I’ve been married almost 25 years. I know how this stuff works. Husbands and wives talk. I know my friend would be cool with it, but I have to consider who else I’d be implicitly sharing it with.

That sort of thing aside… From what you’ve said, I’ll bet your coming-out would go ok. Worst case, he might not know what to say and you’d have to be prepared to change the subject. Hopefully though, as you suggested, it would bring you closer together.
My BFF's partner has become a really close friend lately too., She's been schooling me in Magic the Gathering when I was a boss of the game in the 90's, and has been teaching me all sorts of outdoor recreation stuff I never knew about, even though I basically lived in the woods in my free time for decades. They both support each other in a way I wish I could with my wife. They're godparents to my child(in a non religious way, we're all spiritual but in a shared experience kind of way) so I'm trying to understand how to possibly present this side of me to them. ( I know they're into kink but feel vulnerable like me, so I'm scared of any damage my message might cause.

Reactions: BBBen, PadPhilosopher and Cottontail
Traveler said:
Hi friends. Lifelong ABDL here and I'm recently realizing after a lot of discovery that I'm also AB. I've been spending a lot of time with my absolute closest friend in life besides my wife, and I've known he's been into kink adjacent stuff for years. We recently went camping together when I was kind of probing with questions he told me he was a furry. My heart swelled because I've always sort of known. I'm not sure if he knows anything about ABDL but I really want to tell him about this part of me. My reservations are that we have such a special bond as best friends who have traveled the world together for decades and I'm terrified of damaging what we have, but I also feel like if I reveal a similar queer side like he has, that it'll draw us even closer. I don't knw a whole lot about fur but from what I do know, it sort of parallels ABDL. So there's my quick story, I'd love to get your take on this. Thanks!
I would be careful, some furries are purely non-sexual about it. I would try and figure out if it’s closer to a hobby or a kink for him.

Reactions: BBBen, KBoy, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
This is interesting, being able to come out to people about this is almost uncharted territory
i read a lot of posts about people who have come out to their spouse, i think coming out to freinds may be even more rare.
If you do tell them i would like to hear more @Traveler

Reactions: Traveler, denimchicken, BBBen and 1 other person
There are some furrie that there avatar is a babyfur but not sexual.
Some may roll play as a little only.
But he might only into the art .
You would have to ask what is the things he likes as a fur.
Your interested in the fandom.
He may share with you.
Then you can gage what his reaction are one way is to ask what are baby furs you Googled furry fandom to see his reaction.
If it's negative or ok with it.
That might give you a good insight to if you should share you being into abdl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traveler
A lot of us Furries get it, even if we're not into it ourselves. Your friend sounds to have been around the block a lot, and he proooobably already knows. We can smell it, its the animal in us. I would definitely show some interest in his furry side, ask about his fursona and ask him to show you. We love that kind of thing. Then do a little bit of tit for tat and share your ABDL stuff with him. If you're lucky (and, dear Captain, I believe you will be) you might just find yourself a very happy kid with a puppy pal!

Don't be afraid to get a bit more than you bargain for, if he's not ABDL yet, he might become one, and likewise you may find yourself making a fursona, We have that kind of affect on people ^^

Reactions: CutestPaddedFemboy and Traveler
KBoy said:
This is interesting, being able to come out to people about this is almost uncharted territory
i read a lot of posts about people who have come out to their spouse, i think coming out to freinds may be even more rare.
If you do tell them i would like to hear more @Traveler
I did tell him, and he is very supportive. I essentially told him its been hardwired from birth and that I've always had an interest, and lately I have been finally talking with others who are like me and he was very happy that I have accepted a part of me instead of trying to bury it. I'll never bring it up again unless its in context to conversation or he does, because I don't feel I need to flaunt it or make it about me. He responded that it makes total sense to him given my childhood upbringing. I feel like he knows more about our community than he's letting on, but then again I have learned most of what I know about a lot of different alt communities from him. He flies a trans sticker on his truck and all his cars and supports communities that struggle with who are looked down upon by society for accepting who they are, so it was easy for me to tell him and I'm a lot happier knowing he knows now.

Reactions: Cottontail, SnepperStepper, denimchicken and 1 other person
Back