If you had to buy a car right now what would it be?

Back in the 80s/early 90s recession I lost my company car with all the cut backs that were going on. so I needed a car. My dad had a taxi company and he had a nissan bluebird ex taxi which he was getting rid of. so it made sense for me to have it.
it was 4 yrs old and it had done 148,000 miles! I had that bluebird for 4 yrs, and when I sold it, it had done 188,000miles. in the 4 yrs I had it all I did to it was service it once a year. never had any brakes replaced, still had original clutch. best car I ever had.

Reactions: Edgewater
If I were to buy a car within a reasonable price and a car that I longed after - probably an 8Y or 8V RS3 or F8X M3 or M4.

Edit: I have an 8Y S3

Last edited:
Reactions: Muhdeee and Edgewater
ben0510 said:
Back in the 80s/early 90s recession I lost my company car with all the cut backs that were going on. so I needed a car. My dad had a taxi company and he had a nissan bluebird ex taxi which he was getting rid of. so it made sense for me to have it.
it was 4 yrs old and it had done 148,000 miles! I had that bluebird for 4 yrs, and when I sold it, it had done 188,000miles. in the 4 yrs I had it all I did to it was service it once a year. never had any brakes replaced, still had original clutch. best car I ever had.
Both my brothers had 1980’s Bluebirds solid Sunderland built cars , and the older brother drove he’s from Plymouth to Faslane NB no problems

Love to buy another Kia CeeD Estate (station wagon) Far better than a Ford Focus or Vauxhall (Opel) Astra or a Honda Accord

New - I would be looking at the Volvo S60 Hybrid. Out of my price range, really, but it should last beyond the point where I have to give up driving. Also one of, if not the safest car on the road regardless of what the ads say. Used - no idea.

A Dacia Sandero

• Wow
Reactions: CrazySmoker
Well right now I would get stuck with a buy here pay here deal because where doing a bankruptcy but if I could afford one we (wife and i) wany a Chevy 2500 4x4 pickup and a step ladder for my wife

If money was no object I would buy this year's Mustang dark horse. I've always wanted a Mustang lol. I know nothing about cars but I think they look cool. I currently drive a Citroen C4 2023 model and I love it. It has the comfiest seats ever. I could go to sleep in that car quite happily.

Reactions: Tigercub59
I would not buy any thing new these days. they’re way overpriced and most of them are garbage for the money. Your best and most reliable purchase in my opinion would be an older Toyota Tacoma. Those things will go forever. I also have an older F150 With a 300/6 and an F250 with us 7.3 diesel I will never sell them because both are very tough and very reliable.

Reactions: KendallP, geka, Ortler and 2 others
Aimeesaurus said:
If money was no object I would buy this year's Mustang dark horse. I've always wanted a Mustang lol. I know nothing about cars but I think they look cool. I currently drive a Citroen C4 2023 model and I love it. It has the comfiest seats ever. I could go to sleep in that car quite happily.
While I didn't buy the dark horse, I did just get a new Mustang convertible that I ordered, and can't wait for the weather to warm up to let the sunshine in per say.

Reactions: Aimeesaurus and vp39
Kinda odd how questions are surfacing...those that are used in some websites as account security/recovery questions. I'mma get some shawarma. Any takers?

Reactions: foxcub
Edgewater said:
I would not buy a "NEW" car, truck, or SUV because the vast amount of electronics onboard and their ever increasing failures, commonly on the ground (-) side...
Yep, 'tis built-in obsolescence, negative-ground cars are. They found out long ago that positive-grounded cars resist rust better...so what'd they do? Make all cars negative-ground...because built-in obsolescence means repeat business.

Plus, I hate payment books. Hate 'em.

Edgewater said:
...and normally in their wiring harnesses, which are loved by rodents.
One of the biggest victims of rodent-caused automotive wiring damage is the Nissan Quest...also badged as the Mercury Villager. I bought a '95 in late '07, half the time it ran on 3 of its 6 cylinders and I was boggled...until one day under the hood, I saw strips of underhood insulation missing. A clue? I investigated further...under the intake plenum was something! Dug in with a coat-hanger hook, pulled at it...loads of that insulation, balled up, smelling like pee! Yuck! Got it all out, shone a light...loads of seed hulls in the block valley! Vac'd it all out...there it was: chewed-up injector wires! 🫢

Went to the boneyard, a few Quests & Villagers. Most apparently suffered the ssme issue...but a couple didn't. Thankfully, the injector harness was a sub-harness which easily detached from the main harness! Got it out, paid $11 for it, went home...put 'er in. Bull's-eye! Fixed! 🥳🥳🥳

How did I stop reinfestation? Crammed the space under the plenum with half-used Scotchbrite green pads! That did it. Don't use steel wool, you can possibly short out injectors. That's one to grow on. ;)🥳

Reactions: foxcub and vp39
Tigercub59 said:
While I didn't buy the dark horse, I did just get a new Mustang convertible that I ordered, and can't wait for the weather to warm up to let the sunshine in per say.
Ooh cool! I hope you enjoy it! What colour did you get? I like them in red but mine is dark silver. I wanted red but it cost extra haha

Aimeesaurus said:
Ooh cool! I hope you enjoy it! What colour did you get? I like them in red but mine is dark silver. I wanted red but it cost extra haha
I traded in a red one for a blue one after a module went out in the red one and the cost to replace it was a good down payment on the new one. Blue is my favorite color.

Reactions: Aimeesaurus
The best vehicle I've owned in my life so far is what I currently own which is a 2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon Recon Edition

This is because I live in Alaska where its a bit more rugged and its usually a good idea to have AWD or 4x4, that and I enjoy the great outdoors.

I bought this thing back in Feb 2020 just before the pandemic hit and there's no way I'd buy anything now with the prices of cars now. I am going to drive this Jeep until the wheels fall off.

Kierra Sutton_E.jpg

Last edited:
if i had to buy a car but didnt need it to be my daily i would buy all the old cars... not just one no all of them

i just keep buying more vr6 vags. haha. i buy them > the timing chain snaps > they sit in the workshop getting covered in junk > i buy another.

Reactions: ChrisChris
foxcub said:
i just keep buying more vr6 vags. haha. i buy them > the timing chain snaps > they sit in the workshop getting covered in junk > i buy another.
unproved! best adult decision ever! :3

I like fast cars (and drive one) but I am considering getting something a bit better for hauling snow gear to the mountain. While its been fine, relying on other people to get to the mountain is slightly annoying.

Maybe some type of BMW or Audi SUV I can put snow tires on and a roof rack easily. I do want a little more ground clearance than my current car

In all honesty if I had to buy a car right now, it would be either a honda or a volvo. both are tops for reliability and both have excellent after sales back up should it be needed.
Having said that I wouldn't buy a brand new car. I would buy one about a year old, that maybe some one had bought and didn't like. or a ex demonstrator from the dealer. that way because its all ready registered most of the initial depreciation has gone. but I'm not unhappy with the peugeot deisal that I currently have. had it nearly 8 yrs and its never missed a beat so far.

Back